PDA

View Full Version : At&t says I can get uverse internet but not tv?

not4un
12-20-2009, 4:59 AM
I live in a rural area and was told by att the other day that I could get DSL and that turned out to not be true. However they say I can however get uverse internet but not uverse tv. Att has a promotion if you get the tv and internet there is no hookup fee or equipment cost. But if you only get the internet it cost a total of $249 even though I can't get the tv part. So anyone who has any clue about this how could I get the internet and not the tv or is this another yes you can get the internet but I really can't?

6172crew
12-20-2009, 7:29 AM
Doesnt sound right, Uverse uses VDSL not ADSL so that means you must be within close range to a fiber node or the CO. The VRAD (node) supplies you with a 25 meg hookup that is broken down into 4 channels of TV, VOIP, and of course internet.

My guess is they are selling you ADSL and calling it Uverse. As a former ATT splicer I would stop a technician near your cross-connect (probably the green box you see the techs standing around that is in your neighborhood) and ask one of them what the deal is.

The sales folks get a list from the engineer that says yes you can or not you may not as far as services but repair techs can get access to much more that that. The Uverse techs can call the same sales folks you did but the splicers will know what type of equipment is in place.

A splicer rig will have a bucket truck or van/truck that has a air compressor inside so they can access manholes,etc.

virulosity
12-20-2009, 5:05 PM
I am even more mad! I live in a metropolitan area and most of my neighbors have uverse down the street, but then the fiber optic cable mysteriously disappears? I have called 5 times in the last year and they always tell me its not available in my area, but almost everyone else on my street has it.

not4un
12-21-2009, 7:19 AM
Well there is no green box near my house but I do live right across the street from the main switch station. Could that be why I am able to get it? Like I said they said I can not get regular dsl. My neighbor ordered the equipment for uverse internet so I guess we will find out if it really works.

not4un
12-21-2009, 11:08 AM
So I called AT&T again and asked how this works. I was told that since I can't get DSL I could get the uverse internet which they say is provided through and IP Dslam and not fiber like the tv part is. That make sense? I went ahead and ordered the equipment so we shall see if it really is the case.

frunkis
12-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Doesnt sound right, Uverse uses VDSL not ADSL so that means you must be within close range to a fiber node or the CO. The VRAD (node) supplies you with a 25 meg hookup that is broken down into 4 channels of TV, VOIP, and of course internet.

My guess is they are selling you ADSL and calling it Uverse. As a former ATT splicer I would stop a technician near your cross-connect (probably the green box you see the techs standing around that is in your neighborhood) and ask one of them what the deal is.

The sales folks get a list from the engineer that says yes you can or not you may not as far as services but repair techs can get access to much more that that. The Uverse techs can call the same sales folks you did but the splicers will know what type of equipment is in place.

A splicer rig will have a bucket truck or van/truck that has a air compressor inside so they can access manholes,etc.

Very sorry for the threadjack, but what is the difference between ADSL and VDSL? I live in the country and have to rely on a satalite hook up, and the connection sucks for XBOX live.

ke6guj
12-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Very sorry for the threadjack, but what is the difference between ADSL and VDSL? I live in the country and have to rely on a satalite hook up, and the connection sucks for XBOX live.
I don't even see how you could play on Xbox live with a sat connection, since it has around a 2 second lag time because the signal has to bounce off the satellite twice, inbound and outbound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetric_Digital_Subscriber_Line
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_High_Speed_Digital_Subscriber_Line

frunkis
12-21-2009, 11:53 AM
I don't even see how you could play on Xbox live with a sat connection, since it has around a 2 second lag time because the signal has to bounce off the satellite twice, inbound and outbound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetric_Digital_Subscriber_Line
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_High_Speed_Digital_Subscriber_Line

I can't. I can only log on to xbox to get the updates. I need a new way to get broadband.

JDay
12-21-2009, 4:22 PM
So I called AT&T again and asked how this works. I was told that since I can't get DSL I could get the uverse internet which they say is provided through and IP Dslam and not fiber like the tv part is. That make sense? I went ahead and ordered the equipment so we shall see if it really is the case.

DSL is provided through a DSLAM. Its Asynchronous where as Uverse should be Synchronous.

IP-DSLAM

IP-DSLAM stands for Internet Protocol Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer. User traffic is mostly IP based.

Traditional 20th century DSLAM used Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) technology to connect to upstream ATM routers/switches. These devices then extract the IP traffic and pass it on to an IP network. IP-DSLAMs extract the IP traffic at the DSLAM itself. Thus it is all IP from there. Advantage of IP-DSLAM over a traditional ATM DSLAM is in terms of lower capital expenditure and operational expenditure and a richer set of features and functionality.

grammaton76
12-21-2009, 5:05 PM
Heh. AT&T refused to sell me internet only; they demanded that I take a bundle including TV service or I couldn't have U-Verse internet.

I told them I was sticking with DSL. Like heck was I going to put up with their inferior DVR when I've got a Tivo!

cuda3x2
12-21-2009, 5:29 PM
comcast cable

6172crew
12-21-2009, 6:52 PM
Well there is no green box near my house but I do live right across the street from the main switch station. Could that be why I am able to get it? Like I said they said I can not get regular dsl. My neighbor ordered the equipment for uverse internet so I guess we will find out if it really works.

Yep, they dont have the VRAD but you can have the D SLAM push VDSL.

6172crew
12-21-2009, 7:02 PM

There are many types of "dsl" the T-1 is HDSL or 24 channels of 1.5 up and down.

ADSL, VDSL, etc etc.

Each has an up and down, some can travel miles, some can travel feet. In order for VDSL (very high bit rate or 25mb) you need to be close to the fiber optic node/ring.

ADSL has a limit of 14k feet as well as the HDSL2 but HDSL4 can be repeated out further and has a better quality as far as distubing the other lines in the cable. The newer Adtran HDSL2/4 uses TCP/PAM to shoot those 1's and 0's while the older stuff uses a freq that messes with other lines.

Technically it isnt that important to know but I chased trouble on these lines for 8-9 years so I had to know it.

Now the trick is passing my vendor exam(knock on wood) for Cisco this Wednesday so I can learn even more wacky stuff.:chris:

not4un
12-21-2009, 8:57 PM
6172Crew good luck on the exam thanks for the info