PDA

View Full Version : The sign at Fort Benning says....

The Director
12-19-2009, 8:27 PM
http://curtislowe.wordpress.com/2009/12/18/wow-just-wow/

Check this insanity out. Makes me sick....

yellowfin
12-19-2009, 8:34 PM
Good thing I have some stamps leftover from Christmas cards. They're going to get some letters from me that'll make the chair they're sitting on wilt.

Meplat
12-19-2009, 8:50 PM
Is this sort of foolishness common among our troops or is this some sort of Administration/Pentagon BS?

cbn620
12-19-2009, 8:50 PM
The government loves calling people terrorists. And as if there just aren't enough terrorists in the world, let's make up some new definitions of a terrorist! Yeah the guys on our team are terrorists too cause they don't do what we tell them and when.

Before terrorist it was traitor. Before traitor it was witch. And so on and so forth.

CABilly
12-19-2009, 9:03 PM
The government loves calling people terrorists. And as if there just aren't enough terrorists in the world, let's make up some new definitions of a terrorist! Yeah the guys on our team are terrorists too cause they don't do what we tell them and when.

Before terrorist it was traitor. Before traitor it was witch. And so on and so forth.

"Terrorist" is the new communist.

The Wingnut
12-19-2009, 9:55 PM
Groan. Another painful reminder I have to drive 60+ miles home if I want to do any shooting.

GaryV
12-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Is this sort of foolishness common among our troops or is this some sort of Administration/Pentagon BS?

The military has virtually always been like this. Remember that our professional military is stupidly built on the British class-system model, where officers and enlisted men are seen as separate classes of people with different privileges and rights, instead of on a true militia model like Israel, where promotion to any rank is contingent on performance, and the only way to become an officer is to excel first at being a soldier, not just by going to college.

So we have never trusted soldiers, especially the enlisted men, with weapons, except when they need them to carry out their assigned duties. Otherwise, since they are of the "lower classes", they might revolt (or mutiny). This is why officers (and NCOs) have historically been allowed to be armed all the time (though they're banned too now), but the weapons of enlisted men are almost always locked away except in times and places of combat. The officers and NCOs needed their weapons to keep the enlisted men in line.

It's the exact same attitude that pushes for gun control in the civilian world: if we let the little people have guns, they might just use them against the elite when the elite screw up.

NiteQwill
12-19-2009, 10:21 PM
The military has virtually always been like this. Remember that our professional military is stupidly built on the British class-system model, where officers and enlisted men are seen as separate classes of people with different privileges and rights, instead of on a true militia model like Israel, where promotion to any rank is contingent on performance, and the only way to become an officer is to excel first at being a soldier, not just by going to college.

So we have never trusted soldiers, especially the enlisted men, with weapons, except when they need them to carry out their assigned duties. Otherwise, since they are of the "lower classes", they might revolt (or mutiny). This is why officers (and NCOs) have historically been allowed to be armed all the time (though they're banned too now), but the weapons of enlisted men are almost always locked away except in times and places of combat. The officers and NCOs needed their weapons to keep the enlisted men in line.

It's the exact same attitude that pushes for gun control in the civilian world: if we let the little people have guns, they might just use them against the elite when the elite screw up.
Very well said.

bodger
12-19-2009, 11:04 PM
That is disgusting. When I served in the U.S. military, a sign like that would have been ripped down and stomped on.

Granted, the word "terrorist" was not a common term back then, but any sign with that same inference would not have lasted long nor been there in the first place.

We've turned a corner and are on a slippery slope. How the hell will we ever defeat these enemies of ours while this mentality prevails?

leelaw
12-20-2009, 3:00 AM
Oh, so have they finally decided that the Fort Hood massacre was an act of terrorism, or is it still just an isolated event?

DougJ
12-20-2009, 6:37 AM
I would pull that off the wall if I saw it. Not kidding.

FT Benning always pisses me off every time I go there anyway.

Guaranteed that was posted up on the wall by of these:

1. A REMF Sergeant Major

2. A clueless DOD civilian

3. A REMF Captain

I hate that the Country, and the Army has come to a point where this sign could be posted and stay in place long enough to have a photo taken of it intact, yet our current administration refuses to call real terrorists... Terrorists.

NoahH
12-20-2009, 7:22 AM
Yup, that is the status quo on all military posts. Having a privately owned weapon on a base is a big no-no. Even if you live off post and never bring your personal weapons on base they still have to be registered. I think the reasoning was a military post is federal property, so it's like bringing a firearm into a courthouse. Of course that is BS because you are trusted enough to walk to and from a range with your issued weapons, but when you're off duty you can't be trusted to carry a private weapon. Catch 22 anyone?

Cougar
12-20-2009, 7:24 AM
Hitler. Mao, Stalin, and mostly Khrushchev would be proud of that sign.

jaustin612
12-20-2009, 7:33 AM
another thing that sucks too is for the individuals how live in base housing. Technically all privately owned firearms are supposed to be stored in an armory on base. Now seriously, you really think I'm going to leave my 1500 dollar ar and mint condition colt series 70 1911 in the hands of some boot *** pfc whose just going to take the gun out shooting on the weekends?

Mute
12-20-2009, 7:36 AM
Shouldn't that sign read "man made disasterist?" I have no words (not any that's printable on Calguns) for this idiocy.

John Browning
12-20-2009, 7:49 AM
Do they issue tampons and aprons to everyone now? Whenever some state is ready to leave the Union and start over, I'm there. When the politicians don't trust the civilians and military to be armed, unless they are doing the bidding of the political commissars, that is a bad thing.

The government and those who oppose this nation should fear an armed populace. Instead, we've seemingly pulled down our pants, spread our cheeks, and invited the screwing we're getting from the political class and world powers who wish us ill. When do we fight back? Hopefully soon.

Steveo8
12-20-2009, 7:54 AM

+100 and add domestic terrorist

cortayack
12-20-2009, 7:57 AM
This is the slap in the face of all our service man and woman who are fighting in a foreign war against real terrorist.

bodger
12-20-2009, 8:17 AM
I read this story and choked. Whoever is responsible for prosecuting these men should damn well consider that when we criminalize our troops for doing their duty, we are no better than our terrorist enemies that want annihilate us and our way of life.

A "bloody lip"? They are prosecuting these brave and dedicated men because in the course of capturing a terrorist, he got a BLOODY LIP???

Where the HELL is America now??

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,576646,00.html

Navy SEALs have secretly captured one of the most wanted terrorists in Iraq — the alleged mastermind of the murder and mutilation of four Blackwater USA security guards in Fallujah in 2004. And three of the SEALs who captured him are now facing criminal charges, sources told FoxNews.com.

The three, all members of the Navy's elite commando unit, have refused non-judicial punishment — called a captain's mast — and have requested a trial by court-martial.

Ahmed Hashim Abed, whom the military code-named "Objective Amber," told investigators he was punched by his captors — and he had the bloody lip to prove it.

Now, instead of being lauded for bringing to justice a high-value target, three of the SEAL commandos, all enlisted, face assault charges and have retained lawyers.

kick Z tail out
12-20-2009, 8:26 AM
I read this story and choked. Whoever is responsible for prosecuting these men should damn well consider that when we criminalize our troops for doing their duty, we are no better than our terrorist enemies that want annihilate us and our way of life.

A "bloody lip"? They are prosecuting these brave and dedicated men because in the course of capturing a terrorist, he got a BLOODY LIP???

Where the HELL is America now??

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,576646,00.html

Navy SEALs have secretly captured one of the most wanted terrorists in Iraq the alleged mastermind of the murder and mutilation of four Blackwater USA security guards in Fallujah in 2004. And three of the SEALs who captured him are now facing criminal charges, sources told FoxNews.com.

The three, all members of the Navy's elite commando unit, have refused non-judicial punishment called a captain's mast and have requested a trial by court-martial.

Ahmed Hashim Abed, whom the military code-named "Objective Amber," told investigators he was punched by his captors and he had the bloody lip to prove it.

Now, instead of being lauded for bringing to justice a high-value target, three of the SEAL commandos, all enlisted, face assault charges and have retained lawyers.
You've got to be kidding me.

When the forced PC *** kissing has to be extended to our SOCOM teams, things have gotten truely out of control. Well... we've arrived. The "new" America isn't going to last very long. Maybe one of these days our enemies will feel sorry for us and laugh.

bodger
12-20-2009, 8:38 AM
I'm proud of these men for rejecting the Captain's Mast and opting for a courtmartial instead. A CM might have resulted in some minor disciplinary action that was swept under the rug and never publicized.

If these fine troops are convicted, it will be a travesty beyond all reason. And the Navy should consider the damage it will do to their future recruiting efforts. Not to mention how confused troops will be about the Rules of Engagement. Hesitating to give a terrorist a bloody lip could cost a soldier his life.

What's next? A terrorist lunges at the President and if the Secret Service agents rough him up in the process of subduing him, the agents go to jail?

CalNRA
12-20-2009, 8:42 AM
You've got to be kidding me.

When the forced PC *** kissing has to be extended to our SOCOM teams, things have gotten truely out of control. Well... we've arrived. The "new" America isn't going to last very long. Maybe one of these days our enemies will feel sorry for us and laugh.

before you know it the special interest groups will want our soldiers prosecuted for murder because they shot people.:rolleyes:

uscbigdawg
12-20-2009, 12:58 PM
This is pretty much status quo at every military installation. Heck...my home base of Ft. Bragg, you can hunt and go to the range all you want on the base. Heck...there's an IPSC club on the base and again no issues going through the gate so long as you stop at the visitor's center and register them.

In 2008, before I ETS'ed, we had an off base incident where an E-4 was living with an E-5. Got drunk, shot and killed his roommate. To compound this, the COC did not know either lived off base. That said, after the incident, all 82nd Airborne Division personnel were told that whether they lived on base or not, you have to register your firearms (on base personnel could keep firearms in the residence, so long as it was registered with the PMO).

I explained to my COC that I would not do this under any circumstances. I contact the NRA-ILA and between that and I think the media fallout that quickly hit the post, the issue was dropped.

I'm not saying I agree with the policy of registering them in order to get on base, but I will say that it's the rules of that installation and less of a DOD-wide policy. I say this because one of the things that NRA-ILA explained to me is that the powers of an installation commander is pretty well unlimited.

The sign is moronic but as another poster said, it's par for the course at Benning. IMHO, if there's something stupid going on with base operations, odds are it started at Benning.

Rich

chris
12-20-2009, 4:58 PM
I would pull that off the wall if I saw it. Not kidding.

FT Benning always pisses me off every time I go there anyway.

Guaranteed that was posted up on the wall by of these:

1. A REMF Sergeant Major

2. A clueless DOD civilian

3. A REMF Captain

I hate that the Country, and the Army has come to a point where this sign could be posted and stay in place long enough to have a photo taken of it intact, yet our current administration refuses to call real terrorists... Terrorists.

i would say option 1 and option 3 as the best answer. there are too many REMF SGM's out there. IMO all SGM's should go back to PLDC or (WLC) as they call it now.

GammaRei
12-20-2009, 5:27 PM
All they need is for someone to find that offensive~!!!! That'll get rid of it.

- G

bodger
12-20-2009, 5:40 PM
Maybe a Muslim soldier who hasn't registered his weapons will take offense to being referred to as a terrorist. Then the sign isn't PC and will disappear quick.

Window_Seat
12-20-2009, 6:25 PM
The sign is an insult to all the men & women who serve to defend this nation against terrorists. This is another genuine confirmation that the U.S. Govt considers LAGOs & our service men & women terrorists. The first one came from Janet Napolitano when she labled GOs as terrorists. It won't end here at all.

Erik.

Seesm
12-20-2009, 6:33 PM
LAME SAUCE!!!

cadurand
12-20-2009, 6:34 PM
First, has this been confirmed? Seems way too stupid, even for the Government.

Second, what would registration had done to prevent what this guy did a Fort Benning?

After that fact the cops could have looked up the records, "Yep.. those were his guns alright."

bodger
12-20-2009, 7:47 PM

Second, what would registration had done to prevent what this guy did a Fort Benning?

After that fact the cops could have looked up the records, "Yep.. those were his guns alright."

Confirmation would be good. I didn't think of that.

Did you mean Fort Hood?

The Director
12-20-2009, 8:54 PM

No Ideas. Saw it, cut and pasted it.