PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else remember the AR-15 "Tumor Stock" AKA "California Cancer Grip"?

shopkeep
12-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Was just sitting down and thinking the other day about this grip that would have possibly beaten SB-23. The only reason it didn't work was because they started name banning recievers. But now that Atherd has proven you can get a non-named AR-15 reciever into the state, it may now be possible to use the "Tumor Stock". Of course it would have to be used with a standard buttstock and not a telescoping one to assure the "web of the thumb" was located at the appropriate CA Legal position.

So essentially I propose the following, one would import a non-named AR-15 reciever into the PRK (in Atherd's case the CRT-2) most likely with the magazine pinned. Then one would build up a rifle and add the tumor stock. Then at that point one could unpin the magazine and have a LEGAL magazine fed AR-15. Now keep in mind it wouldn't be incredibly ergonomic :) but at least it's legal.

Also, this rifle would be a poster-child for how silly the Pistol Grip ban is because although it creates a legal rifle, the safety mechanism is no longer easily accessed by the thumb. Hence in theory then a CA-legal magazine fed rifle is LESS safe than the banned one.

bwiese
12-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Yes, I seem to recall a 'tumor stock'. It was more like a paddle actually.
Ugly as sin.

Likely useable for benchrest though.

As long as it isn't a thumbhole stock or stock w/separate pistol grip or a folding/collapsible stock, it's good to go.

The one I'm thinking of is basically a big-arsed paddle-like buttstock that has a near-vertical front end integrating into the pistolgrip area - much in the theme of, but more extreme than, the uglier ultrabulky HS Precision stocks on FN 'sniper' 308 bolt guns.

(Remember, on an AR something has to be cover up PG area to retain safety selector detent pin & spring.)

shopkeep
12-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Yep... that's why I'm thinking it has to be something that integrates into the stock. There are some VERY interesting one peice thumbhole stocks at jprifles.com that give me a couple ideas about the possibility of a one peice wooden type stock for the AR-15. However, I don't really have the equiptment needed to fabricate my own stock.