PDA

View Full Version : Sonoma County CCW

thomashoward
12-19-2009, 9:14 AM
I'm thinking of applying for a CCW from the S.O. in Sonoma County and have to pick up the CCW package.
Has a anyone done this lately? is the process antagonistic or helpful toward citizen applicants?
Nothing precludes me from having a CCW in my background. I'm just wondering how political the process gets. Anyone I have known in the S.O. has retired

gregorylucas
12-19-2009, 9:17 AM
I live in Santa Rosa and I have several friends that are Sheriffs. I have been told by these folks that the SO will not issue a CCW unless there is documented proof that you life could potentially be in jeopardy. Such as a history of an abusive spouse or threats on your life, but there again how many of such threats are "documented."

This policy burns my butt but hopefully change is coming soon to California CCW.

-Greg

zinfull
12-19-2009, 9:33 AM
The only people I know that have been successful are FFL dealers.

jerry

GillaFunk
12-19-2009, 9:39 AM
Honestly, unless you have a 'certified' reason, wanting to carry because you want to be able to defend yourself should the situation arise isnt good enough reason for the local sheriff.

It's a big **** sandwich, and sadly, with the current guy as sheriff, yer just gonna have to take a big bite of it. Or move to Mendo County. :-\

audiophil2
12-19-2009, 9:56 AM
Good luck with that. I lived in Santa rosa, had a 10yr FBI background check, fingerprints, worked with the SD, FBI, DHS, and DEA on a daily basis, and assisted with a dozen drug busts including multi state meth operations. I trained with EOD in the classroom and detonating IEDs on the bomb range. My full knowledge of easy access to secure buildings such as Sonoma airport, SFO, telco buildings by way of proximity cards and fingerprint scanners did nothing for me to get a ccw.
For now, you have 0% chance.

Billy Jack
12-19-2009, 1:37 PM
thomashoward,

All of your contacts with the SO should be in writing. If you should be denied or decide not to follow through, you will have at least left a paper trail that may help the next applicant.

TBJ is currently involved in an investigation of a Southern California department where they believe denial letters are protected under the CPRA. They are about to be educated.

No one person or lawsuit can or will change CCW issuance in the immediate future. It is the chipping away that individuals do that will make them realize fighting all these applicants in state and Federal court is just too darn expensive. Most cities and counties in California are just a tax increase or two away from bankruptcy so keep that in mind.

Sincerely,

Billy Jack

odysseus
12-19-2009, 4:53 PM
Good luck with that. I lived in Santa rosa, had a 10yr FBI background check, fingerprints, worked with the SD, FBI, DHS, and DEA on a daily basis, and assisted with a dozen drug busts including multi state meth operations. I trained with EOD in the classroom and detonating IEDs on the bomb range. My full knowledge of easy access to secure buildings such as Sonoma airport, SFO, telco buildings by way of proximity cards and fingerprint scanners did nothing for me to get a ccw.
For now, you have 0% chance.

I believe it thoroughly, in that respect Sonoma is not different than their very "progressive" neighbor Marin in terms of CCW.

BigDogatPlay
12-19-2009, 5:30 PM
The current (soon to be retiring) sheriff is, like his immediate predecessor was before him, a protege of former Sheriff Mark Ihde who is stridently anti-gun. Both men who've followed Ihde have been largely non-issuing. The current sheriff has recently been "non-renewing" some permits as they've come up, and new issues are very, very few.

There are two candidates for sheriff standing in next year's election... a hand picked successor, himself the current contract CLEO for the Town of Windsor, and a popular with the rank and file sheriff's lieutenant.

Haven't seen anything published locally yet on either WRT CCW and 2A.

Good luck, but don't hold your breath.

curtisfong
12-19-2009, 7:17 PM
Under the 2nd Amendment we should be "Shall Issue" and the Sheriff proclaim their just reasons for denial.

Currently, that will not work in any CA courtroom. You will have to wait for MacDonald, or contact TBJ on the proper way to file suit.

BigDogatPlay
12-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Who are the candidates?

Lt. Steve Freitas, currently assigned as CLEO for Town of Windsor. He is Sheriff Cogbill's annointed successor and has since garnered the support of the Deputy Sheriff's Association.

And he is, I am finding out, now the only candidate as the other Lieutenant with his hat in the ring has withdrawn. No one else is stepping forward to run against him, which will leave us with yet another protege.

Billy Jack
12-19-2009, 10:45 PM
thomashoward,

You may want to do a little reading of 12050 PC. There is no such thing as 'just cause'. CLEOS hate it when you misstate the law. The PD and SO have to issue or deny within 90 days of receiving an application and it will be in writing. You may also submit a request for an appeal of a denial. They can ignore that request depending upon what the policy says about it. You must try to appeal a denial or you give up your right to challenge the denial in court, should that be your choice.

Do not even think about pursuing a denial in court unless you fully understand the relevant law and have stellar GC.

Now do you understand why it is important to do everything in writing?

Billy Jack

gotgunz
12-20-2009, 2:50 AM
I sure don't miss living in that tree hugging hippy infested county!

sfpcservice
12-20-2009, 9:02 AM
Yes and this is a new process for me as I have successfully avoided politics so far, except for the anti legislation emails and phone calls. I know in my job in the corporate world its Document,Document,Document and leave a paper trail.
This is like peeling the layers of an onion.

Thomashoward:

I would get in touch with Billy jack off the forum and in private. You may be shocked by the outcome of your quest when you make all the right moves in the beginning. Billy Jack will help you do that.

Billy Jack
12-21-2009, 8:20 AM
thomashoward, we have e-mail access at www.californiaconcealedcarry.com

Billy Jack busy Sunday appearing as Santa Claus on Reservation small citizens. A man in a costume, appearing in another costume. How Rod Serlingish.

Billy Jack