PDA

View Full Version : Brownell AR mag tubes are in!! w/pics

bu-bye
12-01-2005, 4:55 PM
Not all of them but my order of 5 showed up today. These guys have a more uniform cut then the 10rd Bushmaster mags I have and better then any other mag I have seen. The finish is the standard dry-lube that just about every manufacturer uses these days. Just like other manufacturers the finish has the scuffed-up look like they were tossed in a bin even though they came in their own ziplocked bag. If it really bothers you, refinishing is cheap and easy. There is a great How-to on AR15.com about this process. The body is strong and stiff and looks as if it could take a beating. Using the old floor plates, springs and followers from my old damaged mags, everything went together without a problem. For those of you that are "concerned" about cosmetics you will be happy to know that there are no stamped markings on the mag body. :cool:

I did find one problem though. As I was loading one of the mags, on the third round the rear top weld broke and as I added more the second to the top broke as well... http://64.124.10.205/ar/mag/brownellmags/IMG_1741.JPG . Its an issue that sometimes happens and there is no way to tell when a lemon comes off the line. The same thing happened to one of my Bushmaster 10rd mags which they replaced right away. I'm sure Brownell's will do the same but while I have you guys here is there a way to repair this? JB weld maybe? Anyway, I'm not worried about. The good news is it took all 30rds and even though it swelled a little it still held every round even on the drop test and fit in the magwell.

Hand cycling the mags (even the broken one) showed no issues and rounds went in smoothly. If its dry this weekend I'll take them out to the range for a true test drive. Here are some pics I took of them...

http://64.124.10.205/ar/mag/brownellmags

Here is a link at brownells for the parts...
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=22024&title=AR-15%2fM16+HIGH+CAPACITY+MAGAZINE+REBUILD+KIT

artherd
12-01-2005, 7:43 PM
Don't even think of trying to repair the damaged mag, send it back to be junked & replaced.

I recently re-did about 10 of my mags using Brownell bodies, and Magpul anti-tilt follower, and ranger floorplate. Came out real nice and all function well.

Good thing I have over 100 old beat up AR mags my grandpa gave me years and years ago.

11Z50
12-01-2005, 8:01 PM
I guess I'm my own Grandpa. I found a bunch of mags in my gear when I retired that have Korean floorplates. Last time I was there was in '88. Guess I'm safe with those eh? They need some maintenance......

Stevil
12-01-2005, 9:26 PM
Okay, I have a bunch of old trashed British mags that need a replacement body etc,. thing is they have no markings on the floorplate but they're pre 98, where do I stand without markings?

HEUER
12-01-2005, 9:46 PM
Good question. My magazines were produced by Adventureline Manufacturing and Labelle Industries. They do not have any date stamped on the floorplates or lot numbers. These magazines were purchased second hand and look like crap. The bodies have tan and gold streaks and much of the finish has worn off, but overall they function reasonably well.

I would like to replace the floorplates, but I had the same concerns that you have.

Most of the modern magazine re-build kits come with floorplates that are blank, so I am not sure what percentage of the magazine has to be original. There are four parts to the magazine, I am not sure how much needs to be original?

bu-bye
12-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Just got the rest of my mag bodies. There is one that stands out from the rest. It has square welds that have a serrated center and not smooth. The finish has a couple deep digs but aside from that its looks the same. Not sure why this one is different if they are all made on the same machine. Anywho, testing to come.

BigAL
12-02-2005, 5:14 PM
I hear the Brownells mags are supposed to be good as USGI. My personal preference is for D&H mags cuz they come with the teflon finnish and are a gov contractor.

bu-bye
12-02-2005, 6:53 PM
My personal preference is for D&H mags cuz they come with the teflon finnish and are a gov contractor.

Brownells has a contract too;)

Ironballs
12-02-2005, 8:00 PM
new mags are 14, and it costs us 19 to fully rebuild ourselves... anyone think some of our calli legislators have family members that manufacture mag parts?

dang nabit

i just got 20 springs/followers/fp to rebuild my mags... using old bodies (just gonna brush/clean/silk them)
what a nighmare replacing every body... i guess only on a 'as the break' basis?

K_SNIPER
12-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Can someone please educate me here? What percentage of the mag has to be original(originally possesed)? And...do the replacement parts have to be new? Can someone point me to a thread that explains how this is legal...:)

HEUER
12-02-2005, 11:31 PM
Can someone please educate me here? What percentage of the mag has to be original(originally possesed)? And...do the replacement parts have to be new? Can someone point me to a thread that explains how this is legal...:)

This is the thread that I found:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=24722&highlight=magazine+laws

K_SNIPER
12-03-2005, 1:46 AM
Thanks!!!! :)

Stevil
12-03-2005, 9:16 PM
Sweet! I can go fix-up three knackered 30 rounders then, man it's almost like Christmas. :D

Bosko
12-04-2005, 4:19 PM
Good thing I have over 100 old beat up AR mags my grandpa gave me years and years ago.

You too?!! ;)

Gnote
12-04-2005, 6:12 PM
You too?!! ;)

I hate you both!;)

Mud
12-04-2005, 10:02 PM
My AR Mags are in good shape still, but my M1A mags are seeing there age. Does anyone know who or where I can pick up a few M1a 20rnd Mag bodies. Hate to give up my 20rds cuz I can't find new Mag tubes. Sorry for butting in on this thread.

HEUER
12-05-2005, 12:01 AM
My AR Mags are in good shape still, but my M1A mags are seeing there age. Does anyone know who or where I can pick up a few M1a 20rnd Mag bodies. Hate to give up my 20rds cuz I can't find new Mag tubes. Sorry for butting in on this thread.

You may want to try the M14 forum.

Pablo
12-05-2005, 1:22 PM

Hey Mud, I'm in the same situation as you! if you find a dealer please shoot me a PM. I will do the same!;)

HEUER
12-05-2005, 1:34 PM
The GI box magzines are some of the best magazines produced for any rifle quality wise. I have never had a problem with a GI box magazine body? They generally hold up to rust very well, and the original park finish is super durable.

What kind of problems are you guys having with your magazine bodies?

Are they USGI magazine bodies, or are they Taiwanese or Chinese 20 round bodies?

You can disassemble the magazines into four individual parts and send them out for repair/re-park.

Here is a link I wrote on GI BOX magazines:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=25066

Mud
12-06-2005, 6:04 AM
Well, I have a list of ways the GI Mags can become useless in two easy steps....

1. Put Range bag in vehicle with said GI mags on bottom...

2. Have Friends Stack all other supplys (Box of wood, Case of Drinks, etc.)

Results= 3 Damaged Mags out of 5 (Feed Lips Bent). Now wont feed worth crap.

Moral- Dont let freinds pack your vehicle, and don't be dumb and put Mags on bottom of range bag.

HEUER
12-06-2005, 8:34 AM
[QUOTE=Mud]Well, I have a list of ways the GI Mags can become useless in two easy steps....

1. Put Range bag in vehicle with said GI mags on bottom...

2. Have Friends Stack all other supplys (Box of wood, Case of Drinks, etc.)

Results= 3 Damaged Mags out of 5 (Feed Lips Bent). Now wont feed worth crap.

http://www.dansshootingsupply.com/

I tried to send you a PM, but you do not have it set up.