PDA

View Full Version : Shipping handgun parts out-of-state

andalusi
12-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Question for y'all. If I want to send a pistol slide and magazines to be refinished, can I send this via USPS? Does it still have to go through UPS or Fed Ex, and if so, can I at least send it Ground instead of Next Day Air?

Unit74
12-18-2009, 10:06 AM
You cannot ship the serialized receiver. That is considered the "gun". You are ok with the other parts though.

himurax13
12-18-2009, 10:07 AM
You cannot ship the serialized receiver. That is considered the "gun". You are ok with the other parts though.

You can ship the reciever if the refinisher has an FFL 01.

m1match
12-18-2009, 10:09 AM
The OP asked if he could us USPS. You can't ship the receiver by USPS unless you the sender has an FFL. Of course the receiver also has to have an FFL.

himurax13
12-18-2009, 10:13 AM
The OP asked if he could us USPS. You can't ship the receiver by USPS unless you the sender has an FFL. Of course the receiver also has to have an FFL.

That is true, I forgot that the Post Office Doesn't like shipping our toys. :(

zippo
12-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Question for y'all. If I want to send a pistol slide and magazines to be refinished, can I send this via USPS? Does it still have to go through UPS or Fed Ex, and if so, can I at least send it Ground instead of Next Day Air?

For part like that slide, barrle, mag NOT frame , is OK to sent USPS serviec.
just make sure that U ship Priority Mail with Confirm recive and just for sure insurance what in box is not bad idea
I done it so many time just don't tell what in this box.

If they ask said " auto part "

andalusi
12-19-2009, 2:28 AM
My plan was to ship Priority Mail with insurance and signature confirmation. There is no receiver involved (not sure how that dominated the replies!). This would only be the slide and two magazines.

I absolutely am not going to lie to the United States Post Office about what I'm shipping. Not only would it render any insurance claim null and void, I don't want the USPS trying to say I'm involved in mail fraud (yes, I know I wouldn't technically be, but having to prove it would still be a hassle). Why lie about what I'm shipping unless it's of dubious legality to ship it in the first place, after all?

So to restate my question, if I go into my local Post Office, present a Priority Mail package, and cheerily answer, "A handgun slide and two magazines" when asked what to put on the insurance form, will I be told to take it to the UPS Store a couple of blocks away?

Mssr. Eleganté
12-19-2009, 2:42 AM
So to restate my question, if I go into my local Post Office, present a Priority Mail package, and cheerily answer, "A handgun slide and two magazines" when asked what to put on the insurance form, will I be told to take it to the UPS Store a couple of blocks away?

As everybody has mentioned, it is perfectly legal for you to ship a slide and magazines via the USPS, since none of those parts include the serialized receiver or frame. However, you won't know the reaction of your local U.S. Postal employees until you actually tell them you are shipping "a handgun slide and two magazines." I've seen USPS react all different kinds of ways when I try to legally ship firearms or firearms parts through the USPS. It can range from total melt down with threats of calling the police to complete apathy. Sometimes the guys who freak out can be talked down by showing them the USPS regs or having them call their superior. Sometimes you just have to walk out and try another Post Office or go with UPS/FedEx.

If they ask you what's inside you might want to just say "a slide and two magazines" and leave out the "handgun" part. If they press you on the subject then you can mention that they are disassembled firearms parts that do not include the actual firearm. Use of the word "firearm" instead of "handgun" is recommended.

andalusi
12-19-2009, 2:53 AM
However, you won't know the reaction of your local U.S. Postal employees until you actually tell them you are shipping "a handgun slide and two magazines." I've seen USPS react all different kinds of ways when I try to legally ship firearms or firearms parts through the USPS. It can range from total melt down with threats of calling the police to complete apathy. Sometimes the guys who freak out can be talked down by showing them the USPS regs or having them call their superior. Sometimes you just have to walk out and try another Post Office or go with UPS/FedEx.

That is part of my concern: bad enough when normal people freak out about my owning handguns, but I really don't want to cause a stir at the Post Office especially.

If they ask you what's inside you might want to just say "a slide and two magazines" and leave out the "handgun" part. If they press you on the subject then you can mention that they are disassembled firearms parts that do not include the actual firearm. Use of the word "firearm" instead of "handgun" is recommended.

Oh, very clever. Thank you, I think I will do exactly that.

9mmepiphany
12-19-2009, 12:59 PM
the cheapest route to go is to throw them in a flat rate box. a slide and a couple of mags should fit in the small box. both well protected and cheap

redcliff
12-19-2009, 3:06 PM
Just tell them they are machine parts; which is exactly what they are.