PDA

View Full Version : Diane Feinstein got back to me...

dando
12-18-2009, 9:19 AM
About 3 weeks to a month ago I emailed Diane Feinstein and Barbara Boxer to share my thoughts on the problems with gun control and to ask why neither of these ladies supports the 2nd ammendment. Below is Diane Feinsteins's response.

Happy Holidays to everyone :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Dando:

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to gun control. I appreciate hearing your views on this important issue and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

I appreciate that there are many law abiding gun owners who use their weapons for activities such as hunting and sport in a safe and effective manner and I support an individual's Second Amendment right to own a gun for such purposes.

At the same time, the problem of gun violence in this country is a serious one. The assault weapon attack on four children and an adult at a Jewish Community Center in Los Angeles in 1999, the school shooting at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, and the tragedies at Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois Universities are examples of the tragic results of gun violence.

During my tenure in the Senate, I have worked hard to introduce and support common-sense gun control legislation designed to keep our cities and neighborhoods safe. Additionally, I have worked to prevent criminals and children from having access to firearms. For example, I authored legislation to restrict large-capacity ammunition magazines and ban Assault Weapons, which was enacted into law in 1994. Unfortunately, that ban expired in 2004 and my efforts to reinstate the ban have been blocked.

Please know that while we may not agree on this issue, I value your opinions and have read your letter with interest. Be assured I will keep your thoughts in mind as the gun control debate continues.

Once again, thank you for your letter. I hope you will continue to keep me informed on issues of importance to you. Best regards.

Also, may I take this opportunity to wish you a happy and healthy holiday season. And may 2010 be a good year for us all.

Sincerely yours,
Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

Further information about my position on issues of concern to California and the Nation are available at my website http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/. You can also receive electronic e-mail updates by subscribing to my e-mail list at http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=ENewsletterSignup.Signup.

gose
12-18-2009, 9:23 AM
Funny how one of the worst grabbers in the senate can say "I support an individual's Second Amendment right to own a gun for such purposes."

:)

Hopi
12-18-2009, 9:27 AM
I appreciate that there are many law abiding gun owners who use their weapons for activities such as hunting and sport in a safe and effective manner and I support an individual's Second Amendment right to own a gun for such purposes.

I love that she conspicuously omitted 'self defense'......considering she had a CCW, it seems she's just simply forgotten what guns are for. She's old though, I hear that happens.

NorCalMama
12-18-2009, 9:27 AM
You can't simultaneously support a person's Right to keep and bear arms and also introduce and/or support gun control legislation. Simply not a possibility.

SJgunguy24
12-18-2009, 9:33 AM
This line speaks volumes

"Additionally, I have worked to prevent criminals and children from having access to firearms"

And law abiding citizens who are told to depend on the police who are not there when you need them and it's not even their job to protect you from harm.

ojisan
12-18-2009, 9:39 AM
I gave up writing to her years ago...always the same replies.

Nice holiday greeting addition, though.

Perhaps you should write back and tell her we gun owners do expect 2010 to be a very good year...the SCOTUS decision in June will certainly be cause for celebration.
Should we invite her to the party?

postal16
12-18-2009, 10:05 AM
I always enjoy her and Boxer's F-you letters

The Director
12-18-2009, 10:24 AM

uhhhmmmmm....you forgot self defense and the keeping and bearing of arms as a provision against government tyranny......

FAIL.

SJgunguy24
12-18-2009, 10:31 AM
uhhhmmmmm....you forgot self defense and the keeping and bearing of arms as a provision against government tyranny......

FAIL.

Oh no she didn't forget it.......only people like her are allowed to use firearms for self defence and nobody needs proection from an overbering gov.

Cokebottle
12-18-2009, 10:46 AM
My Boxer F-you letter wasn't even topical.
It was a form letter along the lines of:

"Thank you for contacting me to show your support." :confused: :confused:
"Rather than direct mail, please use the contact form on my web site at www.liberalbtch.com"

Obviously didn't even read the letter.

aermotor
12-18-2009, 10:53 AM
C + 3 = DF.

Kid Stanislaus
12-18-2009, 10:56 AM
My Boxer F-you letter wasn't even topical.
It was a form letter along the lines of:

"Thank you for contacting me to show your support." :confused: :confused:
"Rather than direct mail, please use the contact form on my web site at www.liberalbtch.com"

Obviously didn't even read the letter.

NONE of them read letters from constituents, they have their staffs do that.

maddoggie13
12-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Hey, I got the same one few months ago. Looking like a standard mass mail reply.

HUTCH 7.62
12-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Funny how one of the worst grabbers in the senate can say "I support an individual's Second Amendment right to own a gun for such purposes."

:)

+1 how much you wanna bet it was written by an aid

Cokebottle
12-18-2009, 11:05 AM
NONE of them read letters from constituents, they have their staffs do that.
Gary Miller (District 42) does.
I sent him basically the same letter that I send Dianne and Barbara.
I never got a response from Dianne.

I got a topical response from Mr. Miller, also giving me information on two related issues that he was working on.
The letter had a wet signature, and it did not have the typical shorthand on the bottom left indicating that it was written by a staff member.

MasterYong
12-18-2009, 11:08 AM
You should respond back that the two incidents she refers to where exacerbated by the lack of armed adults on the scene... :D

Casual_Shooter
12-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Additionally, I have worked to prevent criminals and children from having access to firearms. For example, I authored legislation to restrict large-capacity ammunition magazines and ban Assault Weapons, which was enacted into law in 1994. Unfortunately, that ban expired in 2004 and my efforts to reinstate the ban have been blocked.

How does a restriction on large capacity magazines and a ban on "assault weapons" prevent criminals and children from having access to firearms?

postal16
12-18-2009, 12:06 PM
the fact she is still using 10 year old shootings as examples for her wanting to ban AW shows 1- she is too lazy to update her form f-you letter and 2- that incidents that back up her claim these laws are even needed are rare

7222 Hawker
12-18-2009, 12:28 PM
She sent me the exact same letter. Waste of time with these politicians. They no longer represent the people. Its sad.

Cokebottle
12-18-2009, 1:18 PM
I think everyone who has this exact same letter should put it with their original letter to her and send them to one person who will in turn forward them to the NRA and the media.

Most of the media will ignore them, but some will jump on it.

Of course, this won't do any good if the letters are a response to one of the NRA's own "form letter" campaigns. I really don't like those. Yes, they show support and a unified front on one issue, but it is also easier for the politicians to ignore them, especially emails.
Anybody can sign and slap a stamp on a form letter, or electronically "sign" and email form letter that doesn't even come from their own address.

Someone who is truly concerned will draft their own letter with their own talking points, perhaps using the form letter as a guide, but making it their own.

They get thousands of these form letters on major issues, and no, they are not read, they don't have time. The aid opens it, glances quickly at the subject, notes the sender if it is something they intend to reply to, and it goes into a pile that's either pro or anti for statistical purposes.
If the aid opens it and it is not in the same format as the rest of the pile, it may be given a longer look.

Email is least effective. Phone calls are next in line, and snail-mail is generally most effective, especially if backed up with a phone call.

Quser.619
12-18-2009, 3:25 PM
I wish you were right Cokebottle, but DiFi had to resign from a committee chairmanship & it wasn't reported in most CA papers & none of the nightly news. They could care less

Cokebottle
12-18-2009, 3:49 PM
I wish you were right Cokebottle, but DiFi had to resign from a committee chairmanship & it wasn't reported in most CA papers & none of the nightly news. They could care less
SacBee would pick up an issue like this, and they tend to be picked up by other conservative/libertarian outlets.

Nose Nuggets
12-18-2009, 3:59 PM
i still cant grasp why you people waste your time sending well written letters to these people knowing full well that you will, at best, receive a pre-written response from one of their peons and have ZERO effect on their views and policies they plan to enact. it blows my mind. do you honestly think they read them? do you honestly think she, or any politician, had even the slightest bit of interaction in the response you received?

bodger
12-18-2009, 4:13 PM
i still cant grasp why you people waste your time sending well written letters to these people knowing full well that you will, at best, receive a pre-written response from one of their peons and have ZERO effect on their views and policies they plan to enact. it blows my mind. do you honestly think they read them? do you honestly think she, or any politician, had even the slightest bit of interaction in the response you received?

True enough. The only thing that would change the landscape with politicians like this is if they couldn't get elected without the support of gunnies like us.

Until then, good luck. Anti-gun is a calling card for these dolts.

bohoki
12-18-2009, 4:21 PM
man i wish i could ask how a large capacity magazine ban or assault weapon law would prevent any "gun attacks"

as long as any gun is available it is possible to use it unlawfully

if you design a car that wont go over the posted speedlimit that wont prevent an old person from driving it through a farmers market running over mexican women and their 4 kids

6blazing2guns
12-18-2009, 4:22 PM
Most of these politicians are idiots. All of these laws they write don't do diddly squat because law enforcement doesn't know what half of them are and they don't have the funds or manpower to enforce them anyway. A good friend says our lawmakers should be forced to take two laws off the books if they pass a new one and for the most part I agree.

They also need to get their facts right. The Columbine kids had planned to do most of the damage with home made bombs. The guns were a back up plan and really only came into play when the bombs didn't work.

The cure to a lot of the ills of this country is to reinstate family values. Teach your kids right from wrong and enforce it. Take back your neighborhoods. Don't expect someone else to do for you what you can and should do yourself.

Cokebottle
12-18-2009, 4:28 PM
Letters and phone calls are logged as being in support of or against a measure. They are not simply thrown out unless they are just general rants or leg humping.

This data can be used to support future challenges... example, information is being sought on public responses to the Governor regarding AB962 to support AB373.

HUTCH 7.62
12-18-2009, 4:36 PM
It's time to rise up. They don't want to listen then we should make them listen.

MrBrent
12-18-2009, 8:28 PM
About 3 weeks to a month ago I emailed Diane Feinstein and Barbara Boxer to share my thoughts on the problems with gun control and to ask why neither of these ladies supports the 2nd ammendment. Below is Diane Feinsteins's response.

Happy Holidays to everyone :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Dando:

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to gun control. I appreciate hearing your views on this important issue and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

At the same time, the problem of gun violence in this country is a serious one. The assault weapon attack on four children and an adult at a Jewish Community Center in Los Angeles in 1999, the school shooting at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, and the tragedies at Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois Universities are examples of the tragic results of gun violence.

During my tenure in the Senate, I have worked hard to introduce and support common-sense gun control legislation designed to keep our cities and neighborhoods safe. Additionally, I have worked to prevent criminals and children from having access to firearms. For example, I authored legislation to restrict large-capacity ammunition magazines and ban Assault Weapons, which was enacted into law in 1994. Unfortunately, that ban expired in 2004 and my efforts to reinstate the ban have been blocked.

Please know that while we may not agree on this issue, I value your opinions and have read your letter with interest. Be assured I will keep your thoughts in mind as the gun control debate continues.

Once again, thank you for your letter. I hope you will continue to keep me informed on issues of importance to you. Best regards.

Also, may I take this opportunity to wish you a happy and healthy holiday season. And may 2010 be a good year for us all.

Sincerely yours,
Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

Further information about my position on issues of concern to California and the Nation are available at my website http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/. You can also receive electronic e-mail updates by subscribing to my e-mail list at http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=ENewsletterSignup.Signup.

Here is my letter back from this so called representative.
Looks like a nice form letter to me.

Dear Mr. Brent:

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

CSACANNONEER
12-18-2009, 8:34 PM
I gave up writing to her years ago...always the same replies.

LOL. I never wasted my time writing to her. I was in SF when she was mayor. Her agenda was clear enough then that I knew it would be a waste of time to attempt to communicate with her about anything.

HUTCH 7.62
12-18-2009, 11:32 PM
We NEED to Tell her how we really feel no Holds barred

IrishPirate
12-19-2009, 2:10 PM
I love that she conspicuously omitted 'self defense'......considering she had a CCW, it seems she's just simply forgotten what guns are for. She's old though, I hear that happens.

hopefully she's too old to keep representing us......uhhh,i hate thinking about her being our voice. she doesn't care what we say. It makes me sick to think that she is what people think of when they think Californian.

Rem222
12-19-2009, 2:13 PM

You get those also??? I thought it was just me..