PDA

View Full Version : Legal responsibilities of FFL holder.

moab
12-17-2009, 10:47 PM
FFL holder #1 finds out FFL holder #2 is doing something not covered by their license.

Is FFL holder #1 legally responsible to turn in FFL holder #2? Is FFL#1 at risk of losing license if they don't?

Just curious. Came out of an interesting conversation.

moab
12-21-2009, 5:36 AM
Nobody?

halifax
12-21-2009, 5:50 AM
What is "doing something not covered by their license"?

You need to be more specific. Would I (FFL) turn in my competition for not doing PPTs or charging too much for them? NO. Would I turn in a dealer for selling machine guns to prohibited persons? Your damn right I would.

moab
12-21-2009, 6:48 AM
I'm not asking a moral or ethical question. I'm asking is there a legal requirement attached to your FFL license that says you must disclose illegal activity of another FFL holder?

A CA private investigation license holds the same requirement. Except it's not just non legal activity of another license holder. It's illegal activity of anyone if I remember correctly. If you don't disclose it. And it comes out that you knew. You can lose your license.

I'm just curious if this is the same for an FFL holder - on a federal or state level.

tenpercentfirearms
12-21-2009, 8:25 AM
I never signed any mandated reporter papers when I became a dealer.

Now it depends on what type of crime we are talking about. If I knew a dealer was selling guns to someone so they could go on a shooting spree, then I can be held liable if they find out I knew it was going down and I didn't do anything about it. Think Terry Nichols knowing about McVeigh level.

If a dealer says they are going to sell assault weapons without a permit, that is on them and I am not sure how I could be held accountable for that.

Now as a school teacher, they had me sign all sorts of paperwork about me being a mandated reporter.

I think you need to disclose what type of activity if you want a better answer. There are many things that some people think are legal or illegal about being a dealer that are simply not true. Honestly there is way too much rope being an FFL to hang yourself with and you won't know it until an audit.