PDA

View Full Version : Any law on knife carry?

jarhead995
12-17-2009, 8:01 PM
Any age limit?

http://knife-expert.com/ca.txt

Can't find anything in here, would it be fine if I carried a knife on the outside of my pants say in Old Town Pasadena?

bigcalidave
12-17-2009, 8:03 PM
Yes there are laws.

clonepsi
12-17-2009, 8:03 PM
You have to be sixteen to buy one. Not sure if that applies to the carry law.

bushmaster_bob
12-17-2009, 8:08 PM
Any age limit?

Not sure what the age limit is, but you certainly cannot carry a blade concealed on your person, IF it is readily available as a stabbing instrument....otherwise, you'll be in violation of PC12020(a)(4) - carrying a concealed dirk or dagger, a FELONY.

Turo
12-17-2009, 8:21 PM
The law doesn't say anything about age limits.

I carried a knife everywhere (except school, stupid sissies) from the time I was 10 until, well... now lol.

How old are you? I'm assuming you are asking for yourself. If you carry a knife, for whatever reason, read up on the laws concerning carry. Jim march (who is also a CalGuns member) made a great write up summarizing CA's convoluted carry laws.
http://www.ninehundred.net/~equalccw/knifelaw.html

It lists pretty much all you need to know to stay legal and pack your steel.

SteveH
12-17-2009, 8:30 PM
12020(a)(1) & 1626.10(a) to start with

jarhead995
12-17-2009, 8:59 PM
I'm 14

jarhead995
01-20-2010, 8:44 PM
bump?

Cokebottle
01-20-2010, 9:04 PM
Not sure what the age limit is, but you certainly cannot carry a blade concealed on your person, IF it is readily available as a stabbing instrument....otherwise, you'll be in violation of PC12020(a)(4) - carrying a concealed dirk or dagger, a FELONY.
FIXED blade.

A folder is legal concealed. Fixed blades must be openly carried, and under 3" in Los Angeles city/county.

However, schools will have their own prohibition... you're 14, you can't even carry a folder in your pocket on school grounds.

obeygiant
01-20-2010, 9:08 PM
See the knife flowchart thread here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=171226)

So, here are the State level knife laws. Just a consolidation and a re-arranging of things already posted, this thread and others. Emphasis added with spacing and underlining.

As noted, there is no state pre-emption here - local jurisdictions are free to create their own regs. But further note that cities and counties can create only infractions and misdemeanors. (Government Code 25132(a), 36900).

CONCEALED FIXED BLADE KNIVES, any length, are ALWAYS ILLEGAL, as ‘dirks or daggers’ – Penal Code 12020(a)(4).

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:

(4) Carries concealed upon his or her person any dirk or dagger.
In a bag or briefcase that you carry is 'on your person'.

In your car is NOT 'on your person'. Concealed in your car is not 'concealed on your person'.

UN-CONCEALED FIXED BLADE KNIVES may be legal, depending on where you are.

A NON-LOCKING FOLDING KNIFE, or a closed FOLDING KNIFE, any length, is not a ‘dirk or dagger’ – PC 12020(c)(24)

(24) As used in this section, a "dirk" or "dagger" means a knife
or other instrument with or without a handguard that is capable of
ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury
or death. A nonlocking folding knife, a folding knife that is not
prohibited by Section 653k, or a pocketknife is capable of ready use
as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death
only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position
SWITCH BLADE KNIVES, blade length greater than 2 inches, are ILLEGAL TO CARRY – Penal Code 653k:

Every person who

possesses in the passenger's or driver's area of any motor vehicle in any public place or place open to the public,

carries upon his or her person, and

every person who sells, offers for sale, exposes for sale, loans, transfers, or gives to any other person

a switchblade knife having a blade two or more inches in length

is guilty of a misdemeanor.

For the purposes of this section, "switchblade knife" means a
knife having the appearance of a pocketknife and includes a
spring-blade knife, snap-blade knife, gravity knife or any other
similar type knife, the blade or blades of which are two or more
inches in length and which can be released automatically by a flick
of a button, pressure on the handle, flip of the wrist or other
mechanical device, or is released by the weight of the blade or by
any type of mechanism whatsoever. "Switchblade knife" does not
include a knife that opens with one hand utilizing thumb pressure
applied solely to the blade of the knife or a thumb stud attached to
the blade, provided that the knife has a detent or other mechanism
that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade,
or that biases the blade back toward its closed position.
For purposes of this section, "passenger's or driver's area" means
that part of a motor vehicle which is designed to carry the driver
and passengers, including any interior compartment or space therein.
On K-12 school grounds, it is illegal to bring most knives: PC 626.10

(a) Any person, … who brings or possesses any dirk, dagger, ice pick,

knife having a blade longer than 2 1/2 inches,

folding knife with a blade that locks into place,

a razor with an unguarded blade,

upon the grounds of, or within, any public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or any of grades 1 to 12, inclusive,

is guilty of a public offense, punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison.
NON-LOCKING FOLDERS with a blade 2 inches or smaller are not illegal.

Colleges and universities restrict fixed-blades, but not folders, and impose no length limit on folders PC 626.10:

(b) Any person, … who brings or possesses any dirk, dagger, ice pick, or

knife having a fixed blade longer than 2 1/2 inches

upon the grounds of, or within,
any private university, the University of California, the California State University, or the California Community Colleges

is guilty of a public offense, punishable by imprisonment in a
county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state
prison.
EXCEPT University of California, which is now like K-12 for non-students/employees – 5 CCR 100015

[[5 CCR 100000]] Violation of regulations promulgated under section 92440.5 is punishable as a misdemeanor. Pursuant to section 92440.5, these regulations do not apply to the conduct of students, officers, or employees of the University; their conduct is governed by other University regulations.

[[Misdemeanor to carry or possess]]
B. Any knife having a blade two and one-half inches or more in length.
C. Any folding knife with a blade that locks into place.
EXCEPTIONS from PC 626.10

(c) Subdivisions (a) and (b) do not apply to any person who brings
or possesses a knife having a blade longer than 21/2 inches or a
razor with an unguarded blade upon the grounds of, or within,
a public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or any
of grades 1 to 12, inclusive, or
any private university, state university, or community college

at the direction of a faculty member
of the private university, state university, or community college,

or a certificated or classified employee of the school

for use in a private university, state university, community college, or
school-sponsored activity or class.

(d) Subdivisions (a) and (b) do not apply to any person who brings
or possesses an ice pick, a knife having a blade longer than 21/2
inches, or a razor with an unguarded blade upon the grounds of, or
within,

a public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or any of grades 1 to 12, inclusive,

or any private university, state university, or community college

for a lawful purpose within the scope of the person's employment.

(e) Subdivision (b) does not apply to any person who brings or
possesses an ice pick or a knife having a fixed blade longer than
21/2 inches upon the grounds of, or within, any private university,
state university, or community college

for lawful use in or around a residence or residential facility located upon those grounds or

for lawful use in food preparation or consumption.
I'll leave out the prohibition of dirks/daggers from those in prison ...

davescz
01-20-2010, 9:34 PM
more stupid laws, this knife stuff needs to be incorporated nation wide. knifes are arms and we have the right to bear them. I carried a knife in grade school, no problems back then (1970's) how are honest folks supposed to defend themselves??? no gun, no knife???? oh yeah we can call 911 if we live long enough to dial!

dam polititians!

jarhead995
01-21-2010, 6:55 AM
FIXED blade.

A folder is legal concealed. Fixed blades must be openly carried, and under 3" in Los Angeles city/county.

However, schools will have their own prohibition... you're 14, you can't even carry a folder in your pocket on school grounds.

Why would I carry at school?

But anyway can I carry a 3"+ folder outside of school like at the mall or something?

and concealed or open?

Decoligny
01-21-2010, 7:08 AM
FIXED blade.

He used the term "readily available as a stabbing instrument", which is paraphrase for "a knife or other instrument with or without a handguard that is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death."

Fixed blades alway meet this definition.

Folders meet this definition if they are in the open position.

So, if you have an open folder stuck in your boot, under your pants, you are in violation of 12020, which can result in a felony charge.

McCrown
01-21-2010, 7:22 AM
So Ive been thinking about carrying a fixed blade in my briefcase, this is illegal? Is this violation one that could affect my gun rights, and what would I need to do to carry it concealed legally? CCW?

Lagduf
01-21-2010, 7:29 AM
So Ive been thinking about carrying a fixed blade in my briefcase, this is illegal? Is this violation one that could affect my gun rights, and what would I need to do to carry it concealed legally? CCW?

Tenth post in this thread quotes the penal code which states a knife in a bag or briefcase is considered on a person.

Just get a folder with a substantial blade.

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:

(4) Carries concealed upon his or her person any dirk or dagger.
In a bag or briefcase that you carry is 'on your person'.

McCrown
01-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Yes, that post states that it's illegal and a misdemeanor, but it doesn't state the consequences to gun ownership or how to leagally do so.

mej16489
01-21-2010, 12:25 PM

This question saddens me. I can't remember a time since I became a Cub Scout and 'earned' my Tot-n-chip card that I didn't have a pocket knife on me while in school.

Decoligny
01-21-2010, 12:41 PM

But anyway can I carry a 3"+ folder outside of school like at the mall or something?

and concealed or open?

The appropriate question is why would any civilized human being go anywhere without one of the most basic tools in existance.

I carried a pocket knife from about the third grade up until present.

I always carry a minimum of 3 knives on my person.

One on my belt, for general use, cutting open boxes, etc.

http://www.equipped.com/GRAPHICS/buck_ecco-sm.jpg

One in my pocket for personal use, when I need a clean knife for cutting food items, opening a can or a bottle, opening a bottle of wine, etc.

http://www.freshpromotions.com.au/thumbs/basic-swiss-army-knife.jpg

One hung on my dogtag chain for any emergency where I might need a scalpel sharp tiny blade.

http://www.knifecenter.com/newsletter/images/0428-microtanto.jpg

sfwdiy
01-21-2010, 12:42 PM

and concealed or open?

I'd strongly advise against open-carrying a knife anywhere at 14, you're asking for trouble. Just get a good folder with a pocket clip and keep it clipped inside your pocket. Done.

Just don't take it to school. You seem to already know that.

--B

Cokebottle
01-21-2010, 1:16 PM

and concealed or open?
A concealed folder is always legal except in prohibited areas. You can carry an 8" folder concealed legally.

A fixed blade may NEVER be concealed. Generally, the length of the blade is not restricted for open carry, though as mentioned above, some cities and counties do restrict it, such as LA city and county limiting the length to "under" 3". But +1 on the above comment WRT your age, and perhaps your ethnicity and the attitude of cops in your area. If you live in one of the more "conservative" parts of the state, chances are the cops may wonder why you aren't carrying a nice blade.... but if you lived in such an area, you would probably already be aware of this.
Walking down the sidewalk in SoCal? It's likely to lead to an unpleasant afternoon and a phone call to your parents, even though you are doing nothing illegal. And yes, it's BS.

California knife laws are actually quite liberal when compared to some other states, including shall-issue states, but they still have some "goofy" restrictions, primarily aimed at martial arts weaponry such as throwing stars.

Cokebottle
01-21-2010, 1:19 PM
He used the term "readily available as a stabbing instrument", which is paraphrase for "a knife or other instrument with or without a handguard that is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death."

Fixed blades alway meet this definition.

Folders meet this definition if they are in the open position.
Exactly... yes, he was quoting the statute, but the wording of the statute can be taken incorrectly.
IMHO, getting the folder out of my pocket takes more time than unfolding it when it comes to making it "readily available".

jarhead995
01-21-2010, 2:43 PM
This question saddens me. I can't remember a time since I became a Cub Scout and 'earned' my Tot-n-chip card that I didn't have a pocket knife on me while in school.

I go to a private school, not a bad area with thugs.

Any knife recommendations? I need a folder that will fit in my jeans no more than say 120. Cheaper the better, because I wanted to get the USMC 7" Ka-Bar.

Decoligny
01-21-2010, 2:48 PM

I went to a good school without the "thugs".

I don't carry my knives as weapons, they are tools. I have in school had to cut cardboard, rope, twine, and even the occasional apple.

I have actually worn out knives before. And I have only twice in my life had to utilize these tools as a weapon. Niether time in school.

Cokebottle
01-21-2010, 2:55 PM
I went to a good school without the "thugs".

I don't carry my knives as weapons, they are tools. I have in school had to cut cardboard, rope, twine, and even the occasional apple.

I have actually worn out knives before. And I have only twice in my life had to utilize these tools as a weapon. Niether time in school.
^^^ This.
I graduated HS in 1981. We didn't have the stupid "zero-tolerance" laws and rules that we have now. Our lockers and pockets weren't searched without us AND our parents present.

Carried a folder every day from 1st or 2nd grade on. Used it all the time.
The thought never occurred to me that I might need to use it on a person.

Ron-Solo
01-21-2010, 3:09 PM
I believe everyone forgets about Municipal and County Codes when discussing things like this. There are L.A. County codes restricting knives, and I'd bet that Pasadena also has a city ordinance. Most are misdemeanors.

jarhead995
01-21-2010, 3:22 PM
I believe everyone forgets about Municipal and County Codes when discussing things like this. There are L.A. County codes restricting knives, and I'd bet that Pasadena also has a city ordinance. Most are misdemeanors.

please explain :)

Cokebottle
01-21-2010, 3:42 PM
I've mentioned the LA codes any time I've referenced fix-blade carry.

And since Pasadena is inside of LA County, it would fall under the LACO codes ;)

But WRT city and county codes, none have been brought to light that indicate any restrictions on concealed folders.

Librarian
01-21-2010, 5:28 PM

All would be misdemeanors or infractions - that's a government code limitation on governments below state level; only the state gets to create felonies.

sv_1
01-21-2010, 6:41 PM
Can anyone tell me how law enforcement are exempt from 653k?

I've seen a federal exemption, but not a california one.

mej16489
01-22-2010, 12:39 PM

Any knife recommendations? I need a folder that will fit in my jeans no more than say 120. Cheaper the better, because I wanted to get the USMC 7" Ka-Bar.

A knife is an amazing tool to have onhand regardless of whether or not its ever used as a weapon in self defense.

I would recommend anything made by Benchmade with an Axis Lock.