PDA

View Full Version : Homemade AR Fixed mag kit - how to?

Benellishooter
11-30-2005, 2:22 PM
I just ordered a DVD from Bushmaster on how to assemble an AR-15. I have been shooting all my life. But, I don't have a lot of knowledge about ARs yet. Hopefully, this will change soon.

Can a person use a standard mag catch release with a washer and nut to fix the mag so you can't remove it by hand? Is it necessary to purchase the "kit" from National Ordnance. I don't know how different their mag catch is from the standard.

It seems (I could be wrong) that you would just need to find the right thread nut and washer to fit the existing catch?

???

C.G.
11-30-2005, 3:42 PM
I just ordered a DVD from Bushmaster on how to assemble an AR-15. I have been shooting all my life. But, I don't have a lot of knowledge about ARs yet. Hopefully, this will change soon.

Can a person use a standard mag catch release with a washer and nut to fix the mag so you can't remove it by hand? Is it necessary to purchase the "kit" from National Ordnance. I don't know how different their mag catch is from the standard.

It seems (I could be wrong) that you would just need to find the right thread nut and washer to fit the existing catch?

???

Didn't you start a thread on this same topic not long ago?:confused: The answers are there.

Charliegone
11-30-2005, 4:46 PM
https://www.vbd.com/noc/shop/products_detail.asp?CategoryID=49&ProductID=322

Has a kit for fixed magazines....

Why go through more trouble? Heck just buy the kit.:D

tenpercentfirearms
11-30-2005, 11:38 PM
Thanks for that link Charlie! I just e-mailed them. You rock!

artherd
12-01-2005, 12:07 AM
Wes, I used that very kit (mostly). I did replace the supplied 9 round mag with a 10-rounder.

The chamber does not count as an 'ammunition feeding device' since the presumption of feeding requires a destination. Also, some of the DOJ comments during the SB23 comment period relating to durm and belt feeding devices equate them to a 'magazine' in that they serve to directly feed ammunition INTO a firing chamber.

Source: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/fsor.htm

978.20(a) Detachable Magazine
It was also necessary to add linked or belted ammunition to the definition of an ammunition feeding device because that type of ammunition system feeds cartridges directly into the firing chamber, like the spring and follower of a box-type magazine.

Charliegone
12-01-2005, 1:03 AM
Thanks for that link Charlie! I just e-mailed them. You rock!

:D Hey no prob.