PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 930 Not loading

AlexB
12-17-2009, 5:12 PM
I bought a Mossberg 930 a few months ago and everything was fine when I test fired it, but now I am having a problem with it not loading shells from the magazine tube to the chamber after the first shell is ejected.

Does any body have a solution to my problem? Thanks.

Fuzzy5
12-18-2009, 12:10 AM
You need to be more descriptive about the issue. For starters, is the fired shell (first round) ejecting? If so, is the next round getting released but hanging up before reaching the chamber or is it just staying in the mag tube?

AlexB
12-18-2009, 9:31 AM
The first shell ejects but the next one just sits in the magazine tube. I don't think it's a spring problem because I can unload the shells manually.

mif_slim
12-18-2009, 9:46 AM
you can try cleaning and lubing all your parts. sometimes my 11-87 gets really cruddy and does the same as you discribed but after a good cleaning its gtg again.

AlexB
12-18-2009, 12:32 PM
I tried cleaning it to no avail. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

MossbergMan
12-18-2009, 5:49 PM
Alex, I just sent my 930SPX back for the second time for slightly different reasons. Mine wasn't extracting, when it did sometimes it would release two shells from the magazine. I had broken parts in the gas system.
Does your gun function properly when hand cycling dummy rounds? Is the bolt traveling all the way to the rear (hitting the shell release) I just re-read your post, are you unloading by cycling the rounds through the action? Does it lock back with rounds in the magazine?
If you are unloading the gun by cycling the shells through the action (and it works properly)it means the loads you are using are not pushing the bolt back far enough to hit the release.
In that case it's a lube issue, a gas system issue, an ammo problem or "C" all the above.

AlexB
12-18-2009, 7:11 PM
I'll check next time I go shoot it. It doesn't cycle rounds when I do it by hand though.

MossbergMan
12-19-2009, 9:01 AM
Alex, send it back. If it's less than 2 years old Mossberg will send you a mailing label. It will cost nothing to send it back It will take a few months to get it back, but at least it should, repeat should work.

Ballistic043
12-19-2009, 9:10 AM
why send it back when you dont even know whats wrong with it? first, what kind of ammo are you using?

this gun is one of the best in its class because the piston holes are oversize, allowing all BUT the very lightest loads to be used. like the winchester silver box value box stuff, works bad in this gun. but the federal value box works fine

did you do any disassembly to the firearm? improperly re-assembled piston parts could also cause the gun to malfunction.

and thirdly, it sounds like you test fired it but didnt get to fully break the gun in. remember, this is a semi automatic shotgun! it has more moving parts that need to wear in so that you can get the most of your rifle. this should happen only after a few hundred rounds. infact mine broke in after 2 boxes of cheap slugs, and a value pak of federal.

AlexB
12-19-2009, 11:15 AM
I did buy the shotgun used, but I will try to put a few boxes of Federal buckshots or slugs through it when I get a chance. Would this explain it not cycling well when I manually cycle it?

AlexB
12-19-2009, 6:37 PM
Well, I disassembled and reassembled the shotgun. The problem is still there. I was able to make some observations though.

1. The bolt locks back even if there is a shell in the magazine tube. This is happening when I cycle the bolt manually. I haven't had the time to head out to the range to test fire it.

2. When the bolt cycles, it seems as if the latch that holds the shells in the magazine tube is not moving at all. This explains why the gun is not loading the next shell, but now a new problem arises: Why is the lever not being actuated when the bolt is cycled?

This is the best I can do without actually shooting the gun. Any more help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

jeffyboy
12-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Alex,

Do this:
1. Clear the weapon and place the safety on
2. Make sure the bolt is closed (SAFETY ON)
3. Insert 2-3 dummy rounds
4. Now press the bolt release

Does a round eject out the tube and onto the elevator? If not, the shell stop is broken, if it does eject it could be that the shell stop is not getting released by the slide during cycling.

AlexB
12-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Just did what you said and a round does come out of the tube. So I guess that means the shell stop is not getting released by the slide.

SarcoBlaster
12-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Sounds similar to the problem I'm having. When the mag tube is fully loaded with 7 shells, I can pull on the charging handle all day long and it refuses to release a shell, but doesn't lock back. However, if I only load 6 shells into the mag tube, everything functions fine.

It seems like there is too much pressure on the shell stop when 7 rounds are loaded, but the strange thing is that this issue popped up after I put about 250 rounds through the gun and didn't do it when it was brand new.

MossbergMan
12-20-2009, 10:40 AM
SEND IT BACK TO MOSSBERG.... :banghead: It is broken beyond operator level repair. It will cost nothing to send back. Speak with Joe or Rosa in Service. They are becoming 930 experts.

AlexB
12-20-2009, 10:44 AM
I'll give them a call Tuesday when I have some time during the week. I'd still like to know what caused the problem so I can avoid it in the future.

MossbergMan
12-20-2009, 10:58 AM
After working fine for 250 rounds, then not working, my bet is.....wait of it......a broken shell release device that moves the shell stop to release the shell when the bolt is at it's rear most position.
I totally understand the need to know the reason why your equipment isn't working and avoid sending it away for gosh knows how long. I know, been there, doing that as I write this with my SPX. Been battling a P.O.S. for over a year and I 'm so subborn I will not surrender to the idea that it's a lemon. I love the SPX when it works, better than my Benelli S-90M1.
So hang in there Alex, it's a broken part and Mossberg will replace it and then it's back to normal.

AlexB
12-21-2009, 5:50 PM
Well, I have no idea what happened, but I disassembled the gun last night and reassembled it and left it in my closet overnight. This morning I went to work and just got back. I decided to try cycling the action a little and it seems the problem is now gone. It extracts and loads shells now. No idea what happened, but it seems fixed for now. I'm going to take it to test fire some time soon to see if it is back to normal.

nitrofc
12-22-2009, 5:59 AM
If your using 2-3/4" inch Shells, the 930 and 935 will not kick them out.
Some people say they will work, but not on mine.

Use only 3" and 3-1/2" and the shotgun works perfect.
I mean perrrrrrrfect.

Jmho.

nitrofc
12-22-2009, 6:21 AM
Hmmmm...I take that back. Just went through my manual.
Your 930 does take 2-/34" and 3".

My bad.

MossbergMan
12-22-2009, 4:57 PM
Ballistic, you send it back BECAUSE you can't figure out what is causing an otherwise outstanding gun to stop working after functioning well before. Not releasing rounds from the magazine is not a "break in issue". Failure to extract could be expected, failure to fire (because it didn't eject) okay too. Read the posts please. If isn't releasing the rounds when it is hand cycled, there is a problem beyond operator repair. There are parts missing or broken.
Alex,
You explain the stoppages to the tech, 1-800-363-3555 Service #
they will walk you through some self help things and of all else fails they will have you send it back to them. They do not want unhappy owners on forums like this, I'm sure they will assist you. It's better than stumbling around in the dark trying to figure out something that is more than likely beyond your ability to fix. Don't sweat if it's second hand, don't offer the info unless they ask, but if they do be honest.
You probably bought it from the guy on SG World that got tired of it and sold it instead of sending back. Like I said before, mine is back there for the second time, same general problem. This time there is a broken part. May have been broken the first time and they didn't find it. I have high hope for the 3rd time being the charm.

AlexB
12-29-2009, 7:48 PM
*UPDATE 12/29/09*

Took my 930 to the range today to test fire it. Bought 2 boxes of cheap Winchester low brass target loads and they cycled pretty well through it. Out of 50 shells we shot, I had 3 shells get stuck in the chamber, and 3 failure to extract. This may be caused by the cheap ammo itself and not the gun. Overall, I am happy that my gun is now functioning better.

luchador768
12-30-2009, 2:14 AM
No offense to anyone in this thread, but did you guys disassemble the bolt etc. From the reciever prior to the malfunctions? I sounds like the OP might have reassembled the parts improperly. I say this because guns don't fix themselves in the closet overnight! MM has a legit breakage it sounds like. I just am curious because I have had no issues with mine and I did not disassemble anything in the reciever.
Peter

luckystrike
12-30-2009, 2:58 AM
solution=870

SarcoBlaster
01-04-2010, 10:41 PM
solution=870
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/SarcoBlaster/870LOL.png

hoodrat
01-05-2010, 8:57 PM
sarcoblast, +1 on your post.

SarcoBlaster
01-05-2010, 9:50 PM
sarcoblast, +1 on your post.
Couldn't help myself. :D

MossbergMan
01-06-2010, 8:06 AM
My bolt was assembled correctly, hammer was hitting hard, extractor was intact and had spring tension and still wouldn't extract. Ejection issues are likely problems related to lubrication or gas regulation. Mine had all of the above.
Called Mossberg yesterday and they are still evaluation my gun (since the 20th of Dec.) I considered the holidays and they say call back on the 11th and they should have an answer for me. I am not holding my breath. :toetap05:
I did have a gas ring/seal fall out of the gas regulation area (not the piston) It was the place where the big spring resides that operators do not disassemble. I am hopeful that this is/was the seat of the whole problem with my SPX. I'd hate to think the NRA would be so far off base naming it the "Gun of the Year 2009"

PeteC
07-22-2010, 8:16 PM
Sounds like the same problem I'm having:

I just received my new Mossberg 930 and haven't even gotten to take it to the range yet. I decided to check the action by loading and cycling through some rounds. When I loaded the mag tube fully (either 4 in the factory tube with factory spring and follower or 6 in the extended tube with choate spring and follower) and then pulled the charging handle to the rear (firmly) no round is released. If I manually remove 1 round from the mag in either setup, it functions much better - sometimes fails to feed - but 80% successful feeds when pulling the charging handle back. Gotta be something broken, right?

I have an email in to Mossberg and will call tomorrow but (whah!) what a crummy first impression.

BTW - I checked for burrs in the tube, kinks in the spring, etc - all seems fine so I think it's a broken part beyond my brain power

MossbergMan
07-23-2010, 9:38 AM
Mossberg replaced my gun with another SPX. New gun works just like all the magazines and the NRA said it would! It fires and spits out even the cheapest of Wal-mart Federal and Winchester birdshot. Whoowhoo I'm one happy camper now.

Venomns
08-10-2010, 9:37 PM
The only ammo mine does kick is the dove/quail shot. im gonna do some searching but im thinking the load is just way too little. I watched the the bolt barely comes back!

Cali-Shooter
08-10-2010, 9:57 PM
I think that that SPX has a gas operation issue. That shotgun is supposed to autoload after each shot. If there is a failure to cycle, then something must be off, the gun's function is being short stroked. Send it back to Mossberg to have them take a look at it. This is why I am glad to have two pump shotguns :cool:

PeteC
11-14-2010, 8:30 PM
Sounds like the same problem I'm having:

I just received my new Mossberg 930 and haven't even gotten to take it to the range yet. I decided to check the action by loading and cycling through some rounds. When I loaded the mag tube fully (either 4 in the factory tube with factory spring and follower or 6 in the extended tube with choate spring and follower) and then pulled the charging handle to the rear (firmly) no round is released. If I manually remove 1 round from the mag in either setup, it functions much better - sometimes fails to feed - but 80% successful feeds when pulling the charging handle back. Gotta be something broken, right?

I have an email in to Mossberg and will call tomorrow but (whah!) what a crummy first impression.

BTW - I checked for burrs in the tube, kinks in the spring, etc - all seems fine so I think it's a broken part beyond my brain power
UPDATED SAGA: I bought my new 930 in July 2010, and have all but lost faith in Mossberg's ability to fix this gun or even manage their process correctly - as an example: after the 2nd trip back to the factory they shipped my gun back to the wrong address - when I finally retrieved it (2 weeks later), the problem had NOT been fixed. It's now on it's THIRD trip to Mossberg and they are going to replace the receiver and send back to me.

I have spent hours testing this gun with many types of ammunition, and the feeding problem is always present with a full mag, mostly present with 1-3 rounds in the mag. Also, it will sometimes feed 2 rounds at a time. I've had a really reputable gunsmith look at it and he confirmed there was definately a problem.

If there is a problem with this gun after going back to the factory a third time, I'm calling Remington to see if they want to buy it as an example of how badly their main competition handles things. Very frustrating. The 11-87 I've had for years has NEVER given me a single problem. I've heard the 930's are great but the one I got is a total lemon so far and Mossberg customer service has been inept at resolving it.

dkthree
11-15-2010, 12:24 PM
If you still have the issue when you get it back and if you feel comfortable doing so, try sanding and polishing inside of the mag tube where it meets the receiver. I had a similar issue and tried this which worked it all out. I know you said you didn't see any burrs on the tube but I think there might be some left over metal after the machining process in these tubes causing the rounds to hang up.

I am NOT a gunsmith, or anything close, I just got mine to work by doing this.

GL

Killawhale415
11-15-2010, 2:35 PM
UPDATED SAGA: I bought my new 930 in July 2010, and have all but lost faith in Mossberg's ability to fix this gun or even manage their process correctly - as an example: after the 2nd trip back to the factory they shipped my gun back to the wrong address .

The wife-'Hey honey why is there a shotgun in the mail':)
Sorry to hear about your problems man, its terrible that such a large mfg can get their s*** together and help somone out.