PDA

View Full Version : Wa. State lawmakers to seek ban on sales of semi-automatic weapons

Ding126
12-17-2009, 11:03 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2010527541_gunban17m.html

In response to recent shooting deaths, three state lawmakers say they want to ban the sale of military-style semi-automatic weapons in Washington.

By Molly Rosbach

Seattle Times staff reporter

In response to recent shooting deaths, three state lawmakers say they want to ban the sale of military-style semi-automatic weapons in Washington.

The lawmakers intend to propose the ban in the state legislative session that begins next month.

The legislation, called the Aaron Sullivan Public Safety and Police Protection Bill, would prohibit the sale of such weapons to private citizens and require current owners to pass background checks.

It is named for Aaron Sullivan, 18, who was fatally shot last July in Seattle's Leschi neighborhood, allegedly with an assault-style weapon.

Supporters say they also are motivated by the Oct. 31 slaying of Seattle Police Officer Timothy Brenton and the wounding of his partner. Police believe a .223-caliber semi-automatic rifle was used then.

The bill is backed by Seattle's police department, spokeswoman Renee Witt said. Also pushing it is Washington Ceasefire, a nonprofit that seeks to reduce gun violence. The group plans a news conference today to announce the proposal.

The lawmakers who plan to sponsor the bill are Rep. Ross Hunter, D-Medina; Sen. Adam Kline, D-Seattle; and Sen. Jeanne Kohl-Welles, D-Seattle.

The ban would cover semiautomatics designed for military use that are capable of rapid-fire and can hold more than 10 rounds. Semiautomatics designed for sporting or hunting purposes wouldn't be banned.

"If they're used in the army, used in the war that's what this ban is about," said Ralph Fascitelli, the board president of Washington Ceasefire.

Dave Workman, senior editor of Gun Week, a publication of the Second Amendment Foundation in Bellevue, said such a ban would punish law-abiding citizens who own such guns.

"I don't care if my neighbor has a dozen of the things; ... as long as he's not hurting anyone or breaking any laws, leave him alone," Workman said.

He also said he doesn't consider the gun police say was used to kill Brenton an assault rifle.

Hunter knows getting the bill through the Legislature would be difficult, because of concerns about limits on gun ownership. However, he thinks the ban is necessary.

"We don't allow people to own tanks or bazookas or machine guns, and very few people think that that's an unreasonable restriction," he said.

Kohl-Welles said the lawmakers are trying to be practical and aren't suggesting guns be taken from current owners.

"What we're trying to get at is there's no place to have sales of military assault rifles or weapons in this state," she said.

She also said she doesn't believe such a ban would violate the Second Amendment, the right to bear arms.

"Did the framers of our Constitution ever envision something like a semi-automatic weapon?" she asked.

Molly Rosbach: 206-464-2311 or mrosbach@seattletimes.com

bigcalidave
12-17-2009, 11:08 AM
And three more democrats just made statements that will cost them their seats!

Purple K
12-17-2009, 11:08 AM
They just never stop!

caoboy
12-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Why does everybody want to ban semi automatic military style rifles?

Man I wish I could go live back in the days where nobody thought twice about firearms, it was a given that everybody had one...

xxdabroxx
the picked a bad time to start fights in the 2A world.

kf6tac
"If they're used in the army, used in the war that's what this ban is about," said Ralph Fascitelli, the board president of Washington Ceasefire.

I guess Washington Ceasefire had better call up the army and find out how many semi-auto only rifles they're using right now in the sandbox. :rolleyes:

MidnightSon117
12-17-2009, 11:14 AM
It is named for Aaron Sullivan, 18, who was fatally shot last July in Seattle's Leschi neighborhood, allegedly with an assault-style weapon.

Supporters say they also are motivated by the Oct. 31 slaying of Seattle Police Officer Timothy Brenton and the wounding of his partner. Police believe a .223-caliber semi-automatic rifle was used then.

The bill is backed by Seattle's police department, spokeswoman Renee Witt said. Also pushing it is Washington Ceasefire, a nonprofit that seeks to reduce gun violence. The group plans a news conference today to announce the proposal.

Police believe, but don't know for sure it was a .223 round. After month and a half? Jeez, I thought these were supposed to be cold-hard facts in journalism. I notice there's no word of support from the Sheriff's department.

"What we're trying to get at is there's no place to have sales of military assault rifles or weapons in this state," she said.

She also said she doesn't believe such a ban would violate the Second Amendment, the right to bear arms.

"Did the framers of our Constitution ever envision something like a semi-automatic weapon?" she asked.

Wow...I feel like we're playing wack-a-mole. Clobber one argument, the exact same argument pops-up elsewhere. Stupid ****ers.

wildhawker
12-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Heh. I wonder how long before Gottleib and Gura fax over a note that says "pay me now or pay me later".

Ding126
12-17-2009, 11:19 AM
When are THEY going to learn. Ban's do not lessen crime

nick
12-17-2009, 11:25 AM
If they could, they'd probably burn guns at the stake. It seems that the quasi-religious zeal and brainless blaming of the inanimate objects for the deeds of evil people (God forbid we blame the criminals for the crimes they commit) are the norm with that crowd. Sadly, there're enough of them, so even the zaniest of opinions that crowd spouts are taken seriously these days, instead of being ridiculed and run out of town.

nick
12-17-2009, 11:25 AM
When are THEY going to learn. Ban's do not lessen crime

You're trying to reason with religion. It's not going to work :)

AJAX22
12-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Heh.... maby they'd feel better if the shooters used bolt action hunting rifles ;)

or just wacked them with an eastwing

AEC1
12-17-2009, 11:30 AM

Did the framers envision internet, TV, and radio when they made the right to free speach and press? no, does that mean those mediums are not protected just because the framers didnt "envision" them?

AJAX22
12-17-2009, 11:31 AM
\

"We don't allow people to own tanks or bazookas or machine guns, and very few people think that that's an unreasonable restriction," he said.

Kohl-Welles said the lawmakers are trying to be practical and aren't suggesting guns be taken from current owners.

Tanks are legal.... if anyone would like to purchase one, I can hook you up with a T72 for about 250k

And repeating firearms have been around since the 1500's and before..... so.... YES... I think its safe to say that our founders knew they were a possibility

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volley_gun#15th-century_volley_guns

Even a single barreled musket could be rigged to fire superimposed charges.

Sgt Raven
12-17-2009, 11:32 AM

Not one of them as there are areas in Washington state as liberal as Berkley is here. King County,Wa is almost as bad as Chicago when it comes to voting.

hoffmang
12-17-2009, 11:33 AM
I somewhat doubt this has much chance to pass in WA. Also, its probably unconstitutional under the WA constitution.

-Gene

AJAX22
12-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Oh.... and since davinci worked on repeating firearms...... I guess there is NO chance our classically educated founding fathers knew about his drawings

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/af/Leonard_da_Vinci%C2%B4s_organ_gun.jpg

joelberg
12-17-2009, 12:17 PM
I guess Washington Ceasefire had better call up the army and find out how many semi-auto only rifles they're using right now in the sandbox. :rolleyes:

This.

And there are plenty of random folks who own tanks.

bwiese
12-17-2009, 12:20 PM
I somewhat doubt this has much chance to pass in WA. Also, its probably unconstitutional under the WA constitution.

Yeah, but Alan needs a vacation home there and some fast cars that don't have "Paid for by DC" on the license plate frames ;)

stormy_clothing
12-17-2009, 12:22 PM
ah yes the good old semi automatic miltary style weapon

http://www.ginklai.net/images/galerija/5290_beretta_92fs.jpg

oh wait soldiers don't carry and use these things on assaults, lol

How many needless deaths need to occur at the hands of these violent criminals with guns, answer 1

that's the number of violent criminals that are killed on public tv using a chainsaw that it would take to stop most cases from ever occuring

wildhawker
12-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Yeah, but Alan needs a vacation home there and some fast cars that don't have "Paid for by DC" on the license plate frames ;)

:rofl2:

Glock22Fan
12-17-2009, 12:24 PM

Watched a military sniper competition last night (on Tivo) on the Mililtary channel. At one stage, they were using semi-auto-only .50 cal sniper rifles at over 2 klicks.

Soldier415
12-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Win!

Sgt Raven
12-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Watched a military sniper competition last night (on Tivo) on the Mililtary channel. At one stage, they were using semi-auto-only .50 cal sniper rifles at over 2 klicks.

The Military is using Bolt Action Sniper Rifles too, better ban them. :p

doc1buc
12-17-2009, 12:33 PM
The Military is using Bolt Action Sniper Rifles too, better ban them. :p
That's true! I'm going to E-mail DeLeon and see if he can make that happen here!

oaklander
12-17-2009, 12:41 PM
From the state constitution:

SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

hill billy
12-17-2009, 12:50 PM
As was stated, they picked a poor time to start thinking about a ban.

Luieburger
12-17-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm from Washington originally, and I want to go back some day. I sure hope this thing doesn't pass. :(

wildhawker
12-17-2009, 12:55 PM
That's true! I'm going to E-mail DeLeon and see if he can make that happen here!

I'll assume this was meant tongue in cheek, but in case it wasn't (and for anyone who might have thought about following suit)- please don't antagonize legislators with silly correspondence.

MrPlutonium
12-17-2009, 1:00 PM
Yep...I see no mention of how many existing laws were broken already by the idiots who obtained those guns in the first place either...

Glock22Fan
12-17-2009, 1:11 PM
It's all fueled by the "But who needs a machine gun to hunt deer?" mentality and yes, I've been working on someone with that mentality, who actually said that (about Sarah Palin's picture), for 14 years without success.

Legasat
12-17-2009, 1:21 PM
Here is a link to a guy that killed his Mother with a claw hammer. We all know how "evil" claw hammers can be.

I think we should outlaw all claw hammers because some psycho killed someone, somewhere, with a claw hammer. That's about as much sense as this WA proposal to ban Semi's.

I don't know, but I'll just bet this claw hammer was "black". ;)

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2009/12/jeffery_j_ries_of_burton_alleg.html

Theseus
12-17-2009, 1:26 PM

How are they going to determine which "army" or which "war" to ban the weapons from? Seems to me that if they do it by make/model they run into the same problem as California and they may still not be . . . if they go by caliber or feature they ban weapons that are not necessarily used by the military simply because a feature might be.

And why would they require an additional background check for people who already legally purchased firearms? Unless they have done anything to deserve to have the weapons taken away since they should be clean. . .

Idiocy abounds. I will let my family in Washington know about this. . . But they would probably still agree with it.

Ding126
12-17-2009, 1:45 PM
Ban Military type rifles
Ban Semi Auto rifle
Ban Bolt action rifle
Ban shot guns
Ban black powder rifle
Ban Semi auto pistols
Ban Revolver pistols
Ban single shot pistols
Ban ammunition
Ban bows & arrows
Ban knives
Ban hammers
Ban Baseball bats
Ban broom sticks
Ban chop sticks
Ban penciles
Ban Stones & Rocks

Did I leave anything out?

DarkHorse
12-17-2009, 1:56 PM
Ban Military type rifles
Ban Semi Auto rifle
Ban Bolt action rifle
Ban shot guns
Ban black powder rifle
Ban Semi auto pistols
Ban Revolver pistols
Ban single shot pistols
Ban ammunition
Ban bows & arrows
Ban knives
Ban hammers
Ban Baseball bats
Ban broom sticks
Ban chop sticks
Ban penciles
Ban Stones & Rocks

Did I leave anything out?

Books
Free, independent thought

cbn620
12-17-2009, 2:05 PM
They should ban this web site and the Internet cause we've done more damage to their bogus laws and government with our keyboards than we have with our guns.

pMcW
12-17-2009, 2:18 PM
I'm from Washington originally, and I want to go back some day. I sure hope this thing doesn't pass. :(

Me too!

Hoop
12-17-2009, 2:36 PM

One can only hope. WA could turn into the new CA though when it comes to idiot Democrats who never lose their jobs.

Mayhem
12-17-2009, 4:14 PM
The Problem with Washington is the Seattle area.

Seattle is just like the SF bay area and the LA area. It's a die hard shelter for liberals who can't see outside their very little little bubbles that they live in. There only window to the outside world tends to be 5 second sound bites on TV from the local Liberal Media and from the local Trash Rag they call a Newspaper.

Seattle is dangerous to Washington as it has a High population density and accounts for a large percentage of the population. Giving the Seattle area allot of political power and influence over the state legislation.

On a bright note Seattle can't do as much damage to Washington state as our High Density Population bases have done to our state.

If we were to separate California by making all the counties from Sacramento Down the I-80 Corridor to SF down the coast to mexico including Marin into a Separate state. It would make whats left a much different and better place to live.

wildhawker
12-17-2009, 4:19 PM
With all due respect, what you're really saying is that "California would be great if it weren't California". Washington is a beautiful state, but the fact is that most of the [human] population is centered around the Sea-Tac metropolitan region. If it weren't for that area there wouldn't be much *in* Washington.

We're past the representation by geographic area phase of government. If the Valley and NorCal would like more representation it should produce more citizens... hopefully as a byproduct of economic equilibrium.

The Problem with Washington is the Seattle area.

Seattle is just like the SF bay area and the LA area. It's a die hard shelters for liberals who can't see outside their very little little bubbles that they live in. There only window to the outside world tends to be 5 second sound bites on TV from the local Liberal Media and from the local Trash Rag they call a Newspaper.

Seattle is dangerous to Washington as it has a High population density and accounts for a large percentage of the population. Giving the Seattle area allot of political power and influence over the state legislation.

On a bright note Seattle can't do as much damage to Washington state as our High Density Population bases have done to our state.

If we were to separate California by making all the counties from Sacramento Down the I-80 Corridor to SF down the coast to mexico including Marin into a Separate state. It would make whats left a much different and better place to live.

Ding126
12-17-2009, 4:37 PM
Proposed WA Semi-Auto Ban Blames Law-Abiding Gun Owners, Says CCRKBA

BELLEVUE, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--A proposal to ban so-called “assault weapons” in Washington State shifts the blame for recent violent crimes from the perpetrators to every law-abiding gun owner in the state, holding them and their firearms responsible for crimes they did not commit, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms said today.

“This is a proposal by three vehemently anti-gun rights state lawmakers who are exploiting two recent murders in an effort to push a political agenda they have had for several years," said CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb. “One of those slayings, the murder of Seattle Police Officer Timothy Brenton, didn’t even involve the specific kind of firearm they want banned.”

State Senators Adam Kline (D-37th District) and Jeanne Kohl-Welles (D-36th District), and State Rep. Ross Hunter (D-48th District) will sponsor the legislation. They held a press conference this morning to announce their plans. The plan is supported by Washington CeaseFire, a small but radical gun prohibitionist group.

“Tens of thousands of Evergreen State citizens own the kind of semiautomatic sport-utility rifles and shotguns that these Democrat lawmakers want banned,” Gottlieb observed. “Those citizens have committed no crimes. They utilize their rifles for hunting, target shooting and competition, recreational shooting, predator control and even home defense. For Kline, Kohl-Welles and Hunter to demonize them and their firearms smacks of hysteria and social bigotry.

“These are not military firearms,” he continued. “Just because they are deceptively similar in appearance to military firearms is no reason to ban them. That’s like putting someone in prison just because he looks like a criminal.

“Such a ban violates Washington State’s constitutional right to bear arms provision,” Gottlieb noted. “We expect gun owners to express their outrage, not only during the upcoming legislative session, but also at the polls next November.”

With more than 650,000 members and supporters nationwide, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms (www.ccrkba.org) is one of the nation's premier gun rights organizations. As a non-profit organization, the Citizens Committee is dedicated to preserving firearms freedoms through active lobbying of elected officials and facilitating grass-roots organization of gun rights activists in local communities throughout the United States.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms Alan Gottlieb, 425-454-4911

Ding126
12-17-2009, 4:38 PM
Thanks Alan

vantec08
12-17-2009, 5:53 PM
its simple, caoboy . . . . . its much less threatening to themSELVES to demonize inanimate objects rather than criminals. Especially considering that criminals are their constituents.

VW*Mike
12-17-2009, 6:09 PM
They couldn't really get away with banning semi-auto rifles here in CA, but their local politicians think they can in WA, HA!!!!! Yeah, I don't think this stands a good chance in Washington state. Maybe with all the liberals in Seattle, but in the rest of the state, forget it.

Then again, we have liberals in a small nest here that impose their will on the rest of a much larger state.............. hmmmmmm. I was thinking of moving up to WA in a few years, better keep my options open.

joelberg
12-17-2009, 6:16 PM
They couldn't really get away with banning semi-auto rifles here in CA, but their local politicians think they can in WA, HA!!!!! Yeah, I don't think this stands a good chance in Washington state. Maybe with all the liberals in Seattle, but in the rest of the state, forget it.

Then again, we have liberals in a small nest here that impose their will on the rest of a much larger state.............. hmmmmmm. I was thinking of moving up to WA in a few years, better keep my options open.

New Hampshire seems nice if you can handle the winter.

tuolumnejim
12-17-2009, 6:17 PM
From the article:

The "Framers" as she put it, would slap the stupid out of her. :smash:

Mayhem
12-17-2009, 7:58 PM
With all due respect, what you're really saying is that "California would be great if it weren't California".

What I'm saying that most of the people that live in about 1/4 of the state basically on the coast from San Fran south really Fracked things up for those of us living in the other 3/4 of the state.

Washington is a beautiful state, but the fact is that most of the [human] population is centered around the Sea-Tac metropolitan region. If it weren't for that area there wouldn't be much *in* Washington.

No there would be Allot in Washington what their wouldn't be is bunch of Bunny loving tree huggin bleeding heart liberals Pooching the the rest of the state.

We're past the representation by geographic area phase of government. If the Valley and NorCal would like more representation it should produce more citizens... hopefully as a byproduct of economic equilibrium.

Not going to happen, the just export their politics when they move out to their little commuter homes.

I'm only talking about 1/4 or less of the land mass of California. Those cities and Counties in that 1/4 do not make California. All they really do is make it worse.

Gray Peterson
12-17-2009, 9:13 PM
A collective groan just came from the rank and file Democratic party up here. The Seattle/Medina crowd loves pushing gun control for their anti-gun districts, but outside of those two cities, they HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT. They hate the gun issue even being brought up. Senator Kohl-Wells is willfully ignorant of history, as our state constitutional founders came up with Article 1, Section 24 of the constitution back in 1889.

The first successful design for a semi-automatic rifle is attributed to German-born gunsmith Ferdinand Ritter von Mannlicher, who unveiled the design in 1885. The Model 85 was followed by the equally innovative Mannlicher Models 91, 93 and 95 semi-automatic rifles. Although Mannlicher earned his reputation with his bolt action rifle designs, he also produced a few semi-automatic pistols, including the Steyr Mannlicher M1894, which employed an unusual blow-forward action and held five rounds of 6.5 mm ammunition that were fed into the M1894 by a stripper clip.

As I said, it's willful ignorance. Last time a Democratic super-majority passed anything involving guns (They passed a case and carry law requirement for those without CPL's, essentially making WA a licensed OC state), the Democrats were thrown out of office and the Republicans took over again. Lots of noise will get made but it's highly likely nothing will get done.

We can hope that maybe Mr. Gura may want to send a letter to the state legislators, similar to what our dear Mr. Hoffman wrote to the San Mateo Board of Supervisors (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/smcounty/CGF-San-Mateo-Ordinance-Opp-2009-12-14.pdf) earlier this week.

Washington State is broke and facing massive budget cuts next year for the 2011-2012 biennium. There's talks of a tax increase or switching from a completely sales tax based to a completely income tax based system, and that's in a short session next year...right before the mid-term elections....right...mmhmm....

See the problem here?

CCWFacts
12-17-2009, 10:10 PM

Yeah, how many armies use semi-auto AR-15s?

Actually, tanks are legal in WA. MGs and bazookas are not, and count me as someone who thinks that's unreasonable.

No, but they did have these:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f3/Cannons_kremlin.jpg/800px-Cannons_kremlin.jpg

which could wreck a city or sink a ship at a range of roughly one mile.

And they could be privately owned.

NorCalMama
12-17-2009, 10:31 PM

Did the framers ever envision emails, phones, internet news sites, printers, faxes, etc as forms of communication to utilize our First Amendment Right to freedom of speech and freedom of the press? I DESPISE when people say how the founders never envisioned something like a (insert "evil" gun name here) but NEVER apply that principle to any other Right!
:rant: :cuss:

Quemtimebo
12-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Yeah, how many armies use semi-auto AR-15s?

Actually, tanks are legal in WA. MGs and bazookas are not, and count me as someone who thinks that's unreasonable.

No, but they did have these:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f3/Cannons_kremlin.jpg/800px-Cannons_kremlin.jpg

which could wreck a city or sink a ship at a range of roughly one mile.

And they could be privately owned.

A picture is worth a thousand words. +20 house points. :D

Seesm
12-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Bad idea.. this is the opening of that can...

bodger
12-18-2009, 6:56 AM
I guess they think revolvers would still be okay to have.

Can't do much damage with a .357 Magnum wheel gun, right? Rate off fire is waaaay slow, right? Takes an eternity to reload. Unless you're Jerry Miculik.
So I guess since we don't see very many revolvers used in wars these days, they feel okay about not banning revolvers.

I'm always amazed at how little firearm knowledge most of these antis have.

cdtx2001
12-18-2009, 7:17 AM

It was something they could only dream of and wish for!!! Muzzle loading sucked when it came to trying to take down multiple Brits. A couple framing farmers against an entire regiment of red coats would have really wanted full auto.

yellowfin
12-18-2009, 7:18 AM
Yeah, but Alan needs a vacation home there and some fast cars that don't have "Paid for by DC" on the license plate frames ;)He can gladly get them by suing NYS and NYC for them. We've got all the juicy targets here he can wrap his mitts around. Should I go out and spraypaint a big bullseye in the grass here?

EBR Works
12-18-2009, 7:39 AM
From the article:

The "Framers" as she put it, would slap the stupid out of her. :smash:

Just like this: :D

http://www.aeonity.com/ab/games/simulation/slap-that-ho.php