PDA

View Full Version : Quality rifle magazines, my review.

HEUER
11-29-2005, 8:38 PM
There have been many questions about purchasing magazines and or repairing existing magazines that have been legally purchased before January 2000.

I would like to share my thoughts about reliable quality magazines for the M14 type rifle and the Mini 14.

The standard box magazine for the M14 rifle produced by Harrington & Richardson, Winchester, Olin Mathieson, and Borg Warner need very little attention to function and feed well (if you purchased them before Jan 2000). I have never replaced a body on this of type magazine. Followers do tend to show wear, but SA INC makes an excellent re-park version at a reasonable price available at Brownell’s. I have changed springs on a few magazines, but mostly they keep pretty good tension. The floor plates produced by the manufacture need little attention.

GI BOX magazines will be clearly marked on the body with the manufactures proof mark. This is the finest magazine produced for this rifle and needs very little maintenance.

The SA INC 5 and 10 round magazines are excellent. They are good quality magazines. The SA INC 10 is a great bench magazine, but they don't look right on the rifle.

The Ruger Mini 14 magazine uses the same principle as the M14 type rifle magazine, but the quality of these magazines varies greatly from manufacturer. The Factory five and twenty (if you purchased them before Jan 2000) are the best magazines produced. I have never had to rebuild these magazines ever. Replacement parts for the twenty round magazines are hard to find. Wolf produces springs and followers can be purchased from Brownell’s, but bodies and floor plates are very hard to find.

There are many quality ten round magazines being made today. Both Pro-Mag and John Masen produce a good 10 round magazine. I have had poor experience with Triple K brand magazines, but I have read that if you send magazines that do not function, they will replace them.

Aftermarket magazines for the Ruger Mini 14 and Ranch Rifle have a notorious reputation for being crappy. The best aftermarket magazine legally available for the Mini 14 is probably the Pro-Mag, it is very close to a longer factory five.

For shooting at the range, I would rate the five round magazine as a solid choice.

Bill Ruger is no longer with us, and his beloved AWB is gone. Ruger produced a factory ten round in the past, maybe they will resume production.:confused: