PDA

View Full Version : Router modem conflict. HAAALPPPP!!!!

Bobula
12-17-2009, 7:07 AM
I have a linksys WRT160N-RM and a westel DSL modem. They don't like eachother and refuse to work, how do I force them to be friends?

nick
12-17-2009, 7:12 AM
What exactly do you mean by them not liking each other? To the best of my knowledge, they aren't programmed to display emotions. Unless you're using third-party firmware on your Linksys, that is.

Bobula
12-17-2009, 7:20 AM
I get no internet through my router when it's plugged in through the modem. It says it has internet, but the dsl light on my modem begins flashing.

nick
12-17-2009, 7:22 AM
Do you get the Internet connection when you plug in a computer directly to the modem?

Mute
12-17-2009, 8:08 AM
Without knowing the specific interface of your modem and router I can't give any specific instructions. However, one thing you might want to check out: Go into your Linksys router interface and see what you have selected for Internet Connection Type (it might be different on your router, but in most Linksys routers I've worked with that's the selection). Make sure this one category is setup correctly. If you do not know what is the right selection, contact your ISP.

JDay
12-17-2009, 5:43 PM
Make sure you have DHCP enabled on the router and that your computer is setup to get the IP via DHCP. Also check the settings on the router for your internet connection, if you have a static IP you will have to enter the settings.

Mr.Pickles
12-21-2009, 5:41 AM
think I might ask... what model I can give all the instructions in a step by step manner if its a F90. What needs to happen is that the modem needs to be bridged and the PPPoE needs to be on the router if you have AT&T.

says the guy who used to be T2 tech support for them until my contract expired with them...yadda yadda and sofoth

chiefcrash
12-21-2009, 12:19 PM
First, plug a computer straight into the DSL modem. If it doesn't get internet, stop and call your ISP. Their tech support is supposed to handle everything up to that. If you DO get internet when you plug a computer straight in, then keep reading

Some common problems:

check your cabling: make sure the cable doesn't look damaged, and is plugged into the correct WAN port on the router. You'd be surprised how easy it is to get a bum cable or plug it into the wrong jack. (get the stupid simple stuff out of the way saves time)

Some DSL and cable modems get "bonded" to the MAC address of whatever computer first used them and registered the modem on the network. (I know comcast used to do this) Somewhere in the router configuration should be a "clone MAC address" option. Try that.

A lot of routers and DSL modems default their IP address to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. Obviously, 2 devices can't have the same IP address. I usually just set the router to a different subnet (for example: my DSL is statically fixed to 192.168.0.1, so I set my router to 192.168.1.1)

but without more info, it's hard to help much. General questions get general answers...

Someoneelseok
12-22-2009, 12:20 PM
+1 on the duplicate IP's. That's likely the problem.

Also see if you can tell your DSL Modem to use a different IP Address scheme other than 192.168.x.x. Like 10.10.x.x. Having both your Router and Modem each run their own 192.168.x.x scheme wreaks havoc on NAT the router uses.

First, plug a computer straight into the DSL modem. If it doesn't get internet, stop and call your ISP. Their tech support is supposed to handle everything up to that. If you DO get internet when you plug a computer straight in, then keep reading

Some common problems:

check your cabling: make sure the cable doesn't look damaged, and is plugged into the correct WAN port on the router. You'd be surprised how easy it is to get a bum cable or plug it into the wrong jack. (get the stupid simple stuff out of the way saves time)

Some DSL and cable modems get "bonded" to the MAC address of whatever computer first used them and registered the modem on the network. (I know comcast used to do this) Somewhere in the router configuration should be a "clone MAC address" option. Try that.

A lot of routers and DSL modems default their IP address to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. Obviously, 2 devices can't have the same IP address. I usually just set the router to a different subnet (for example: my DSL is statically fixed to 192.168.0.1, so I set my router to 192.168.1.1)

but without more info, it's hard to help much. General questions get general answers...

cqbdude
12-22-2009, 12:38 PM
You need to go in the modem and change the modem to bridge mode..and not route..

go here..

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6405

choprzrul
12-22-2009, 12:44 PM
think I might ask... what model I can give all the instructions in a step by step manner if its a F90. What needs to happen is that the modem needs to be bridged and the PPPoE needs to be on the router if you have AT&T.

says the guy who used to be T2 tech support for them until my contract expired with them...yadda yadda and sofoth

DO THIS ^^^^^^^^^HE KNOWS. I am a computer consultant and this takes care of this type of problem about 95% of the time. Call your ISPs tech support and they will walk you through the process.

jmlivingston
12-22-2009, 1:10 PM
Could be something simple as the cabling between the router and the modem. Are you using a cross-over or straight-through cable? I'm not that familiar with the particular equipment you're using but I've seen some setups that needed one and some setups that needed the other.

John

Mayhem
12-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Your Modem needs to be set to bridge mode.

You need to log into the Westel disconnect, once disconnected goto the advanced tab check your PPOE settings and set it PPOE Is on Computer/Router.

NOTE: If you do not use the disconnect button on the web based interface the westel has a knack of reverting back to factory settings.

Then hook up your router log into it and set it to PPOE and put in your log in information.