PDA

View Full Version : As an FFL dealer Do you need a AW/Dangerous Weapon Lic/permit to sell AR/Ak style rif

High Impact Tactical
12-17-2009, 12:49 AM
As a FFL dealer to sell lowers and complete AR style rifles do they need to apply and obtain an Assualt Weapons/ Dangerous Weapons Lic/Permit? Been hearing conflicting statements that you do or you dont need one if they are lowers or Cal Compliant Rifles with bullet buttons and 10 rnd mags? Can someone clarify this for me!
Thanks!

tenpercentfirearms
12-17-2009, 6:45 AM
You only need to be an AW dealer if you do anything other than onsite gunsmithing with AWs. A customer can bring an AW in and I can look at it and even play with it, but it must be in customer possession. If they leave, they must leave with their AW.

That also means I can't receive AWs in the mail, buy, or sell AWs either.

So a middleman out of state sends me a off list rifle with a Bullet Button, that is fine. It is not an AW, it is a long gun subject to the same laws as all of the other long guns I buy.

I should not receive AWs and then convert them to non-AW status. I think there are quite a few vendors that I could order AWs from because their software will allow me, but as soon as I receive them I am busted despite the fact I could have a BB on them in less than a minute. It is tempting, but not worth the jail time or loss of my license.

High Impact Tactical
12-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Just want to make sure that I am understanding this correctly, sorry just want to make sure so we wont lose our lic. So as a dealer when you recieve a AW style rifle from a manufacturer or even a PPT from out of state or in state the rifle must come with a BB on it so we wont be in violation? If it does come with a BB we dont need a AW lic/permit? We will also be dealing with a lot of law enforcement officers as well as the local agencies, would it be on the safe side to get a AW lic/permit?

tenpercentfirearms
12-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Just want to make sure that I am understanding this correctly, sorry just want to make sure so we wont lose our lic. So as a dealer when you recieve a AW style rifle from a manufacturer or even a PPT from out of state or in state the rifle must come with a BB on it so we wont be in violation? If it does come with a BB we dont need a AW lic/permit? We will also be dealing with a lot of law enforcement officers as well as the local agencies, would it be on the safe side to get a AW lic/permit?

I do not receive AW style rifles as I am not an AW dealer so it is illegal for me to do so. Period. End of that story.

If an AR15 that is not listed comes with a Bullet Button, it is not an AW, it is a long gun.

You can try and get an AW permit. Ask around to see if it is worth the hassle or not.