PDA

View Full Version : Fred's mm14 stock report

HEUER
11-28-2005, 8:15 PM
Just a heads up, I recieved my "presentation grade" usgi fiberglass stock today (this is the one for 105 this time) and I am very pleased with the condition. Fred threw in a brown standard USGI handgaurd.

I want to make a couple of observations. First, walnut looks and smells a 1000% better than the fiberglass units. The walnut stocks do swell. I started to notice that when field stripping the rifle the trigger gaurd/group became harder to remove from the stock. I am old enough to know that you do not force things loose, so it would take a while to nudge it out of the stock. The fibergalss units do not have this problem. The fiberglass stocks are also lighter.

I choose the fiberglass units strictly for utility purposes. I like the standard brown color which goes well with a park finish. It will not win any beauty contests, but is much better than the horrible black crinckle paint that flakes off on the re-paints that SA INC does.

Fred gets high marks once again.

bu-bye
11-29-2005, 12:43 AM
Pic? :) :p

double_action
11-29-2005, 7:13 PM
I just ordered a walnut from Fred's today. Nice to hear you had a good experience, hope I have the same.

HEUER
11-29-2005, 7:22 PM
No photos, I won a new digital camera but I have not had time charge it set it up.

M1A Rifleman
11-30-2005, 7:41 AM
what's the condition with respect to the metal that came with it? ANy nicks and scratches on the stock?

HEUER
11-30-2005, 10:05 AM
There are a few nicks on the stock, but no worse than the nicks that come with the SA INC. This stock is about 95%. The stock has some marks, but it is over 30 years old. The metal was 95%, replaced with re-park from parts stock. I bought two and I am very happy with them. They are excellent stocks for service shooting.

Gunner1
12-02-2005, 10:19 PM
My Synthetic stock came from Freds today, I ordered one of the excellent synthetic with v.g buttplate. I ordered this one to repaint and try out Lauers Duracoat. 99% of the time when I have ordered a product from a company they are always not quite what I had hoped for. Not Freds, this synthetic appeared unused, perfect condition and they threw in a good condition black handguard for free. The buttplate looks unused but had a couple little spots of rust under the plate. I also ordered a couple op rod springs and chamber brushes, all came in new condition but obvious 70's production. Now I guess I need another since I think I am going to leave this one alone.
I sure wish Century International would learn from these guys.

Gunner

HEUER
12-02-2005, 10:28 PM
Leave it in the brown that it comes in, it looks vintage. A new brown handgaurd really compliments the rfile. Enjoy the stock, the best money I have spent in a long time. :)

JH2
12-03-2005, 2:22 AM
I sure wish Century International would learn from these guys.

Gunner

Not to hi-jack this thread but, you and a thousand others wish this!

Jim