PDA

View Full Version : Nagant or SKS

Renshai
12-16-2009, 6:34 PM
I am looking at getting either a Mosin or an SKS...

What exactly should I be looking for? Differences between the Hex receiver and non? Why?

Rover
12-17-2009, 1:33 AM
Wrong section, but anyway...

What are you going to use it for?

As a shooter, the SKS and Mosin are very different. The SKS won't be as accurate, but is a semi-auto, so it's a better battle rifle. The Mosin will be more accurate, and it's still a great battle rifle, but being bolt action, it's not quite as fast. Also 7.62x39 is easier to find, and since the ammo freak-out last year, it's not much more money than 7.62x54r.

Personally I prefer Mosins, they're better to hunt with, and better looking. I also find that I can fire aimed shots every bit as fast with either one.

The hex receiver is rarer, and thus more valuable, same with laminated stocks, or matching numbers. But, if it's just going to be a shooter, who cares? Buy what's cheap. 91/30s and 44s are the cheapest, only difference being the barrel length. The 44 will kick more, but if you shoot it at night they usually spit a decent size fireball. The 91/30 will be more accurate and easier to shoot due to barrel length, however, it's noticeably heavier. On a shooter Mosin, make sure the stock is in good shape and crack free, the bolt should cycle smoothly, and the barrel should be clean (none will have a shinny bore, just look for sharp rifling and no pitting), some will say counter-boring is bad, I suppose it isn't great, but my counter-bored 91/30 is my most accurate Mosin, so draw your own conclusion on that one.

mls343
12-17-2009, 5:44 AM
My vote would be for the SKS first. Some of my preference is because my first official personal rifle was a SKS war trophy my Father brought back from Vietnam when I was 12.

The second reason I would vote for the SKS is that it is a very good rifle for everyday use. If you are a backpacker, works great. Target shooter/plinker, works great. Relaibale, handy, available ammo, and with reasonable accuracy, from a complete package standpoint, it's a pretty good choice. It is also one of those rifles that the Kalifornia government does not find, well, too offensive.

I also have a number of Moisens. They too are a good little weapon as witnessed by how long they were in service. Personally, I like the little carbines, but I have the long rifles as well. With thee Moisen, you will be shooting a proven, real-life battle rifle cartridge. Good to go for just about anything from hunting to self defense.

With that said, I still prefer the SKS.

The good news is that you really are not limited to getting one or the other. Both are still affordable (reasonably), so why not both????

Cheers!

CSACANNONEER
12-17-2009, 6:01 AM
SKS first! I own 3 SKS type rifles and 4 Mosins. I really don't like shooting the Mosins because, I can't hit anything with them. They are my least favorite milsurplus rifles.

mtambio
12-20-2009, 1:57 PM
If you are going for the most economic package, I would go for the mosin. For $375(or less if you get a good deal on a transfer) you can get a hex mosin 91/30, 440 rounds of corrosive ammo(comes in a tin straight from the mother land and is not hard to clean) and a set of Mojo micro click sights. my rifle is counter bored but it is a great shooter. My next investment is getting a bent bolt and mounting a scope(with the proper hardware, non of that ATI crap).

monkezuncle
12-20-2009, 9:44 PM
wow... that's like asking should I get a rem 700 or an AR. They're almost incomparable. Even beyond the obvious differences referenced above (bolt vs semi, caliber, kick, etc) it's still an impossible comparison. The big question is what are you looking for. Price wise you can get a good MN for under 100. An SKS $275 - 500. Shooting wise for any kind of plinking, target, etc uses the semi auto of the SKS is going to be better.

I own both and use them for very different shooting. If I had to pick it would be an SKS hands down b/c it is more versatile, less recoil, non-corrosive ammo is easy to find, easy to accessorize or sporterize and it has (imo) better sights.

One cool thing about the SKS is that they did 3 types of wood on the stocks. I like the teak would stocks. They are heavier and were made for export to North Africa (never made it).

But if price is the big issue the MN is the way to go. Hope that helps!

Full Clip
12-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Why do you want a rifle?
Just for example, if I wanted a plinker, I'd get the SKS.
If I wanted to hunt, I'd get the Mosin.
Heck, they're both cheap. Get one of each.

Dr.Mauser
12-20-2009, 10:20 PM
You could pick up both for under $400 if you know where to look.

Renshai
12-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Why do you want a rifle?
Just for example, if I wanted a plinker, I'd get the SKS.
If I wanted to hunt, I'd get the Mosin.
Heck, they're both cheap. Get one of each.

that's pretty much what I'm going to end up doing, I just didn't know enough about the Mosin or the SKS for that matter to make a good decision on either. Buying a cheap piece of crap isn't what I want...cheap is a factor, but within reason. I just want to know what to look for and what to avoid.

Have had MANY Ak builds and LOVE my 7.62x39, and I like the 7.62x54R as well. I haven't hunted here in CA yet, still a bit nwe to figure it all out for that, so for now its range fun and teaching my wife how to shoot rifles which is why I will be getting one of each, a semi and a bolt. She's scared to death of shooting my Rem 700 as the recoil is pretty stout and its more complicated with scope issue and getting the cheek piece adjusted for her (she's LITTLE LITTLE LITTLE) and she has "fired" the mosin, and that round seemed ok for her. She has also "fired" my ak's in CO, but when we moved here I just sold all of them as I was not at that time familiar with the stupid bullet button..GRRRR

IrishPirate
12-26-2009, 1:13 PM
Mosins should all be date stamped...the older it is the more valuable (to colectors) it will be. 91/30s are usually a little cheaper than M44's, but you can get both for around $100 if you know where to look. They're the same gun, but the M44 is the carbine version and has a fixed, folding bayonet.

Hex receivers are older than round but don't make a difference in performance. If it has a triangle with an Arrow in it, it's from the Izzy manufacturing plant (can't remember the real full name), if it has a star with an Arrow in it, it's from the Tula plant which was smaller and produced less guns, making these more valuable too. Pre and during WWII production rifles are nice collectors pieces because there's the high probability they killed some Nazis. Other than that, it's still just a rifle so make sure all the normal things are in tact and working just like you would any other rifle.

As for the SKS, I'm not too familiar with it because i don't own one (yet) but it's a completely different gun than the Mosins so you'll need to decide if you want bolt or semi first, and which caliber you prefer. both are great rounds and both can be found very cheap. you can get 440 rounds of x54R ammo for about $90 online. Not sure about the x39 but i know it's not super expensive. You can pick up a nice SKS for about $300 right now.

hope this helps

Lucky Scott
12-26-2009, 1:36 PM
Get em both!
The SKS is a great semi auto rifle. The Mosin is a great bolt action rifle.

mdouglas1980
12-26-2009, 1:50 PM
if you can find one too an M38 mosin is a great carbine too. I love mine: I bought it at big 5 a couple years ago. Having said that I also have a 91/30 and an SKS. All are fun to shoot I guess a round receiver mosin are probably the cheapest to buy. I've seen them for $89.00 online

comblock
08-31-2010, 9:12 PM
Get both. They are so affordable and the ammo is cheap. I own 1 mosin and 6 sks. I only shoot my chicom sks but shoot the mosin all the time.

Roscoe1957
09-01-2010, 12:53 PM
I'd get one of each. Both are fun to shoot.

Vacaville
09-01-2010, 1:06 PM
I have a Mosin M44 and a Yugo SKS. Two very different rifles. If you get either you won't be disappointed, best to get both. :)

You can still find Mosins on sale for $99 at Big 5 about one week out of each month. Prices have steadily risen and continue to go up. I've also been hearing that supplies are finally starting to dry up (they've been plentiful and dirt cheap for years), so you should buy one soon. As for the SKS, you should be able to find a good condition Yugo 59/66 for around $350, expect to pay another $100 for a clean Russian model. Good luck.

dmax11
09-07-2010, 4:32 PM
i have a 91/30 and a Yugo SKS.

both are great rifles and fun to shoot, the SKS imo is more fun to shoot because your shoulder is not dead after 30-40 rounds. mines still recovering from the abuse my mosin has given it but even when its bruised i can still shoot my SKS because the recoil is so low on that thing its almost like firing a pellet gun or something to me.

the carbine versions of the mosins are supposed to be much worse than the full length models when it comes to recoil, if you get one invest in a good butt pad, my 91/30 is staying at home until i get one for it that is for sure :)

as far as accuracy goes this is going to vary between all of them and the condition the bore's are in. my yugo has a prefect bore, when i got it, it looked unissued. its accurate enough out to 100 yds but i've only taken it out once and ran out of ammo before i got a real good feel for where it shoots and how to use its ironsights so i'm sure it can do better than what i did with it last weekend. my mosin i have only shot from 50 yds with ironsights and at that distance it held a group that was about 5" wide by 2-1/2" tall, it needs counterboring because the muzzle is worn into a slight oval and the groups i got with it from 50 yds only confirmed this.

sd_shooter
09-07-2010, 4:54 PM
If you are going for the most economic package, I would go for the mosin. For $375(or less if you get a good deal on a transfer) you can get a hex mosin 91/30, 440 rounds of corrosive ammo(comes in a tin straight from the mother land and is not hard to clean) and a set of Mojo micro click sights. my rifle is counter bored but it is a great shooter. My next investment is getting a bent bolt and mounting a scope(with the proper hardware, non of that ATI crap).

Why pay $375 for a Mosin? If you've got that much to spend you might as well just skip the Mosin and go for an M39. Better wood, way better barrel, better sights. Nothing to upgrade!

My suggestion:
1) Get the SKS. If any guns are banned in the future, this will be banned before the others.
2) Get an M39. It's based on the Mosin platform but is a far better gun. One of the best bolt guns of WWII. There are also fewer of them, hence it is more valuable
3) Get a Mosin. Everyone should have at least one.

And you have a C&R license, right? Then all these goodies can come right to your door without having to deal with FFLs and transfer fees.

TNP'R
09-10-2010, 7:12 PM
I say get both.

SKSer
09-10-2010, 7:46 PM
I would go for the SKS, as far as value of the gun, the SKS you can always sell with no problem, everyone wants them, and they are only going up in price.

The Mosins are like a dime a dozen right now, I would still get one, but you have a little time before they start going up significantly in price.

As for teaching your wife, the SKS will be a lot more managable for her, and it is really easy to operate. it will probably be more fun for her too. Bolt actions are only fun for so long, then they get kinda boring, especially when they are slamming into your shoulder, IMO.

Also for hunting, the sks works good for up to deer size animals. The balisitics of the 7.62x39 are almost identical as 30-30, so whatever you can hunt with a 30-30, you can hunt with a SKS.

accuracy with the SKS is great for a milsurp rifle with Iron sights. I can nail a tin can at 100 yards every time no problem. Me and my brother were nailing a bowling pin at almost 300 yards I would say maybe 2 out of 3 shots, and the misses were right next to it. Thats with cheap chinese ammo.

and the absolute best thing about the SKS is the reliability, they are freaking, absolutely 110%, Rock solid. They are like the Honda of rifles. My SKS just keeps shooting and shooting and shooting. I have NEVER had a single problem with it. My AK gives me more problems then the SKS.

a buddy of mine at work has a russian that he got back when they were like $89 at big 5 in the 90's, he asked me to show him how to clean it, I asked him if he ever cleaned it before, he said he didnt, then I asked him how rounds he put down the tube, he said like 5-6K at least :eek:, but never gave him a problem.

PEZHEAD265
09-11-2010, 4:14 AM
The 7.62.54 is pretty stout recoil.What cal is your 700 that your wife is afraid to shoot?The SKS has less recoil and most times a shorter length of pull more suitable for a smaller person.Look out for a deals on a SKS because they are coming down in price.These guns are inexpensive not cheap peices of crap.

7.62x54R
09-11-2010, 4:24 AM
http://clubfuji.com/Ash/thread%20necro.jpg

ahhhh......

Milsurps
09-11-2010, 4:41 AM
I am looking at getting either a Mosin or an SKS...

No C&R ? Then Big5 can be your friend for both. 91/30s for $99 pretty regularly. Lately unissued Yugo SKS 59/66A1 s for $389. Both will be full of Cosmoline but look closely at the bore, overall condition and learn to look at the GUN not all the Cosmoline on/in it. ;)

I shoot both and all are from Big5. Each one a fun shooter.

Warning, Mossins tend to multiply... :eek: j/k

TNP'R
11-12-2010, 2:32 PM
No C&R ? Then Big5 can be your friend for both. 91/30s for $99 pretty regularly. Lately unissued Yugo SKS 59/66A1 s for $389. Both will be full of Cosmoline but look closely at the bore, overall condition and learn to look at the GUN not all the Cosmoline on/in it. ;)

I shoot both and all are from Big5. Each one a fun shooter.

Warning, Mossins tend to multiply... :eek: j/k

true im picking my second one up in 10 days.

mosinnagantm9130
11-12-2010, 9:02 PM
I'd just like to add that m39's are mosins;)

SKSer
11-13-2010, 7:47 PM
someone needs to shoot this thread right between the eyes cause it just keeps coming back.