PDA

View Full Version : SKS 10 part game: rulebook needed

shopkeep
11-28-2005, 5:16 PM
OK guys I have to admit it... at first that new stock set everyone's been linking to on Tapco's site didn't really catch my attention. But the more I look at it, the more fun it looks. Which, guys, if you haven't seen it yet it's right here:

http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=STK660166&back=yes

Now I understand that this is OK based on a fixed magazine according to SB-23. But I also understand that due to federal law I'm gonna have to play the 10 part game. So, assuming I put a US made fixed mag on there what else would I need? Would it require a pre-ban (1980s or earlier) SKS?

Let me know folks!

Rascal
11-28-2005, 6:17 PM
You would need to replace the following with U.S.A. made items:
Gas piston
Operating rod
Forearm Handguards
Buttstock
Pistol grip
Magazine body
Floor plate
Follower
Muzzle brake ( if you have a Yugo)

This will leave you with 10 imported parts.
1) Receiver

2) Barrel

3) Bolt

4) Bolt carrier

5) Trigger housing

6) Trigger

7) Hammer

8) Sear

9) Disconnector, bolt follower

10) Disconnector, rebound [aka: trigger mount arm]

Here is a very good report on the legalities of the SKS, done by Larry Schwartz from Survivors SKS boards.
http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html#TEN_OR_LESS_DISCUSS

shopkeep
11-28-2005, 6:25 PM
So after hitting up a gun show, purchasing those parts, and then installing it... I can trick out my SKS to my little heart's content correct?

Rascal
11-28-2005, 7:59 PM
Yes sir :)

Pouchey
11-29-2005, 9:28 PM
Let's not trivialize the acquisition of a solid fixed 10 round mag.

Pryde
11-29-2005, 9:38 PM
You can get USA 10 round fixed mags at a lot of places, problem is that they are terrible, they don't feed and the workmanship is shoddy at best.

Search google for SKSman, or paul's guns, (same place) he always has them in stock for about $20 shipped.

Rascal
11-29-2005, 9:41 PM
Pouchey,
You can find them. I found one, it just didn't work for *****. It's a good thing that I didn't quit my day job to be a sheet metal worker. ;) :o

Pouchey
11-29-2005, 9:43 PM
USA Brand IIRC, very little in the way of positive reviews. Just seems like an other untapped goldmine. But at only 1 per gun, I see why all of the true effort is put into the detachables for the free states.

Pouchey
11-29-2005, 9:44 PM
BTW, I would even take a 5 rnder if I felt I could depend on it.

shopkeep
11-30-2005, 2:10 AM
Heck I'll take handloading one bullet at a time over some of the crappy USA made fixed SKS mags I've had the horrific experience of being ripped off on in the past. Hmmm... do you think the companies that make these shoddy peices of workmanship lobby for the 10 parts laws :D ?

Pouchey
11-30-2005, 7:44 AM
I'm not sure what their deal is. They make a fixed mag that resembles a detatchable. It seems to me that the original design is just fine and it would require little effort to replicate it as is with little and or no improvement. But like I said, I think there is just more money to be made in detachable.

akjunkie
12-30-2005, 7:39 AM
You would need to replace the following with U.S.A. made items:
Gas piston
Operating rod
Forearm Handguards
Buttstock
Pistol grip
Magazine body
Floor plate
Follower
Muzzle brake ( if you have a Yugo)

This will leave you with 10 imported parts.
1) Receiver

2) Barrel

3) Bolt

4) Bolt carrier

5) Trigger housing

6) Trigger

7) Hammer

8) Sear

9) Disconnector, bolt follower

10) Disconnector, rebound [aka: trigger mount arm]

Here is a very good report on the legalities of the SKS, done by Larry Schwartz from Survivors SKS boards.
http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html#TEN_OR_LESS_DISCUSS

i think u needed to scroll up and REad the whole page...

" if the rifle has a DETACHABLE magazine" the SKS does NOT. SEC 922 dont apply here.

akjunkie
12-30-2005, 9:24 AM
damn, the SKS more confusing than other AW's.

back pre-Y2K, SB23 stated all semi auto that took a hi cap was an AW regardless if it had a thumbhole stock or pistol grip.

ie, Mak90's, L1A1's, G3, Daewoo's, etc.

SEC 922 stated u can legally put a Pistol grip, etc as long as u didnt exceed 10 imported parts.

i also remember pre Y2K, people who had a Dragunov/Thumbhole stock on their SKS rifle didnt need to register under SB23 becuz it had a fixed 10rd mag.

i also know some people think its okay to put a chinese made p/g, buttstock, handguard etc. on their Mak90's cuz the AWB expired, tho SEC 922 states otherwise.

i am pretty sure the Tapco m4 stock is legal in PRK since it has a fixed 10rd mag. however, that Collapsible stock makes me wonder.................

anyone else wanna chime in???

Rascal
12-30-2005, 9:50 PM
What is there to be confused about.
As far as the SKS is concerned, there are only 2 laws that have to be looked at.

One is state law SB23 SKS with detatchable magazine = AW
Because it does not have a detatchable magazine, you can put all the evil features on it that you wish, but you still have to be aware of Fed law.

Two is FED law 922(r) = NO "nonsporting" features on a foreign made imported weapon. This means that you can have a SKS without bayonet pistol grip nightsites, grenade launcher, and be legal. If the SKS IS C&R, you can have it in original configuration, but you can't change it.

The 10 or less foreign made parts is to make your weapon NOT SUBJECT to 922(r), because 922(r) is ONLY for foreign made weapons. U.S.A. made weapons can have all the nonsporting features that you want, except for Kali which go back to One "SKS with detatchable magazine = AW"
Hope this helps.