PDA

View Full Version : Son DROS'ed a long gun

pdq_wizzard
12-16-2009, 3:50 PM
OK so my son did a DROS (long gun .22 RF) in his name for his girlfriends kid (birthday gift he is 10) now they are separating, do they need to DROS the gun back to her? (It was bought with there money) I know the dealer is the only one that has the paperwork and it dosen't go to the DOJ, but just need to make sure he is covered.

Sgt Raven
12-16-2009, 3:53 PM
I would PPT it through a FFL.

Cokebottle
12-16-2009, 3:56 PM
If he purchased it and the original DROS was in his name, then yes, he needs to PPT it to his ex-GF (and pay the FFL $35).

It was potentially an illegal transfer in the first place since there has never been a legal relationship between him and the little guy, but I am assuming that they were all living together so the gun never left his possession and he merely allowed the boy to borrow it for outings of no longer than 30 days.

Edit: Edited to correct the gender of the child

greed647
12-16-2009, 4:01 PM
I would PPT it, but I would like to know why it would matter besides being a illegal transfer what different's does it make if she just kept it and did not dros it. How would any one (LEO) find out even if they where stopped with it. I do not mean do anything illegal by any means. I just have always wondered about this question you have posted.

pdq_wizzard
12-16-2009, 4:01 PM
If he purchased it and the original DROS was in his name, then yes, he needs to PPT it to his ex-GF (and pay the FFL $35).

It was potentially an illegal transfer in the first place since there has never been a legal relationship between him and the little girl, but I am assuming that they were all living together so the gun never left his possession and he merely allowed the girl to borrow it for outings of no longer than 30 days.

yep that's it, he has brought it over to my house until he figures it out. Looks like A PPT at Big5. thanks!

pdq_wizzard
12-16-2009, 4:02 PM
I would PPT it, but I would like to know why it would matter besides being a illegal transfer what different's does it make if she just kept it and did not dros it. How would any one (LEO) find out even if they where stopped with it.

but it is still the "right" thing to PPT it.

Sgt Raven
12-16-2009, 4:07 PM
I would PPT it, but I would like to know why it would matter besides being a illegal transfer what different's does it make if she just kept it and did not dros it. How would any one (LEO) find out even if they where stopped with it. I do not mean do anything illegal by any means. I just have always wondered about this question you have posted.

I'd PPT it because someone else will have it and if they get in trouble with it they could point at me and try and push their trouble off on me. Then when it involves an 'X' even more so. :eek: :rolleyes: :TFH:

Sgt Raven
12-16-2009, 4:08 PM
but it is still the "right" thing to PPT it.
Even more so when there's an "X" involved.

AndrewMendez
12-16-2009, 6:34 PM
What happened to cut all ties???

RobG
12-16-2009, 8:23 PM
What happened to cut all ties???

+1. Unless I was absolutely, 100% certain that she will be responsible for the gun and her son with said gun, I would just keep it and move on.

Cougar125
12-16-2009, 8:28 PM
I'd keep the gun. Its in your name.

I'm going through a divorce right now and my wife is in possession of firearms of mine (in another state!) and I'm playin hell to get them back. Good think I have declarations from people and every serial number so I can report stolen if I ever have to.

pdq_wizzard
12-17-2009, 7:02 AM
+1. Unless I was absolutely, 100% certain that she will be responsible for the gun and her son with said gun, I would just keep it and move on.

the problem with that is it just hurts the kid and he has nothing to do with her / his problems. I told him just have her pay the $26 at Big5 and do the DROS then it is out of his name and the kid can grow up to be a cal guner :D

NorCalMama
12-17-2009, 9:21 AM
If you REALLY still want the kid to have it, ask yourself if the ex is responsible and is the boy responsible? Also, since you two split up, I would tell her if she wants him to have it, she must pay any additional fees.
Hey, it's not your kid, you have no moral or legal obligation.

pdq_wizzard
12-17-2009, 7:36 PM
If you REALLY still want the kid to have it, ask yourself if the ex is responsible and is the boy responsible? Also, since you two split up, I would tell her if she wants him to have it, she must pay any additional fees.
Hey, it's not your kid, you have no moral or legal obligation.

There is no you two (as in me and someone else), this is my son and his girlfriend we are talking about, this kid is not his (it was a package deal) but "they" got the gift for him and one of them had to DROS it, so my son did, they were living together so it's not like he did a straw purchase. Now they are not together so he took the gun until they can do a PPT and she can get it DROS'ed to her. She will have to pay the DROS if she wants the gun for her son. (I think it only right, it was given to him for his birthday so he should have it).

I posted the question mostly to bonce it off others to make sure I was telling him the right thing to do.

When people split up things like this get over looked, (it seems so small in the bigger picture).

Thanks for the input everyone! What I have told him is what most of you have said.