PDA

View Full Version : AR lowers - How will you fix the 10 rnd mag?

Benellishooter
11-28-2005, 2:43 PM
Assuming we are successful importing lowers not in the currently banned list, how will you fix the 10 round magazine in the lower so that a tool is necessary to remove it?

Vulcan pins theirs. I am assuming most people do not want to drill into their lower and potentially wreck it. At the same time, we need to stay legal.

What are your plans?

bwiese
11-28-2005, 2:55 PM
Assuming we are successful importing lowers not in the currently banned list, how will you fix the 10 round magazine in the lower so that a tool is necessary to remove it?

It seems that Artherd/Ben uses a regular mag catch, without mag catch spring, and puts a mating nut + washer on the other side. The threaded shaft of the mag catch, when retaining the mag, projects sufficiently above the surface for a nut+washer to work.

Not sure if there's enough room for a double-nut. Perhaps a thin fiber washer under regular washer or just nut can also stop any marring of receiver finish.

Benellishooter
11-28-2005, 3:13 PM
Is this something you can buy? Or, is it a do it yourself project?

elmo
11-28-2005, 3:17 PM
Is this something you can buy? Or, is it a do it yourself project?

https://www.vbd.com/noc/shop/products_detail.asp?CategoryID=49&ProductID=322

they sell a kit to make it so a 10 round mag would be fixed. I would try to do somethign similar to that really.

HEUER
11-28-2005, 3:26 PM
I thought bwiese and Ted stated that these were a no go? Or this only for a named reciever.

bwiese
11-28-2005, 3:41 PM
I thought bwiese and Ted stated that these were a no go? Or this only for a named reciever.

I guess you've missed out on the various discussions here, etc this week.

Yes, awhile back, we thought they were risky because we didn't know how reliable Harrott was, DOJ's opinion thereof, etc.

But aided due to Ben/Artherd's victory letter from DOJ allowing him to get a JPRifles' CTR02 with pinned-in 10rd fixed, this confirms DOJ acknowledges Harrott decision exists, is in force, etc..

Thus bare AR-type receivers that are NOT on the DOJ Roster of AK and AR15 Series Weapons are indeed legal.

You can ONLY install a pistol grip on such an off-list 'non-Harrott' receiver IF AND ONLY IF a 10rd fixed magazine is already installed. (Bare receiver + pistol grip = felony.)

"Fixed" magazine on a non-Harrott receiver merely means screwed or pinned in. just like the CaliFAL concept. It does not have to mean blank well/welded-up magwell like FAB10s or GB Sales' modified rifles.

Thus this kit would be useful for those acquiring "off-Roster"/non-Harrott AR-type receivers.

Note again that THIS FIXED MAG MUST BE INSTALLED BEFORE PISTOL GRIP MOUNTED!!

HEUER
11-28-2005, 3:52 PM
I am going to wait until I can purchase one off the shelf. :)

I am going to leave it to the professionals.

bwiese
11-28-2005, 4:00 PM
I am going to wait until I can purchase one off the shelf. :)

I am going to leave it to the professionals.

Unlikely this will happen. Things are happening now, and you have to outrace the gov't.

Plus these won't be standard-stocked items on regular gunstore shelves.

The reason many are interested is not for hacked up ARs, but the fact that there's a reasonable gamble these do get declared as AWs in near future, opening up a 90 day registration period; after filing papers and receiving reg, these receivers can then be assembled into regular ARs.

C.G.
11-28-2005, 4:29 PM
It seems that Artherd/Ben uses a regular mag catch, without mag catch spring, and puts a mating nut + washer on the other side. The threaded shaft of the mag catch, when retaining the mag, projects sufficiently above the surface for a nut+washer to work.

Not sure if there's enough room for a double-nut. Perhaps a thin fiber washer under regular washer or just nut can also stop any marring of receiver finish.

Bill, it was actually a barrel nut, confirmed by Artherd. I would still use a washer underneath as the bottom surface of a barrel nut is serrated to stop it from backing out, which is good, but it could also mark the receiver.

artherd
11-28-2005, 7:56 PM
I did infact use the exact barrel nut and washer and mag catch (looked standard) from these guys:

I substituted a better quality Bushmaster 10 round mag however.

I've got about $300 worth of parts laying around from the fixed mag venture alone :)

The addition of a THIN washer allowed me to keep the really nice hard anodize finish on the CTR-02 lower intact. These things look really beautiful.

C.G.
11-28-2005, 8:09 PM
I did infact use the exact barrel nut and washer and mag catch (looked standard) from these guys:

I substituted a better quality Bushmaster 10 round mag however.

I've got about $300 worth of parts laying around from the fixed mag venture alone :)

The addition of a THIN washer allowed me to keep the really nice hard anodize finish on the CTR-02 lower intact. These things look really beautiful.

Ben, you might want to substitute the washer with a thin plastic one, probably easiest to find in electronic or computer parts stores, in order not to scratch up your receiver; after all that is an expensive rifle.
Otherwise, quality barrel nuts can be bought at marine stores, but usually they are bronze chromed over, would have to prep and paint the barrel nut to match the lower.

blacklisted
11-28-2005, 8:52 PM
I'm trying to design some kind of recessed hex screw that can not be reached by the hand, so even if it gets loose some how, you can not unscrew it with the hand.

Here are a few screenshots of an autocad 3d wireframe (to help those of us without a lower on hand to visualize) I found somewhere:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/ebolamonkey/wf1.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/ebolamonkey/wf2.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/ebolamonkey/wf3.jpg