PDA

View Full Version : day at the range with my su16ca

Gunner1
11-28-2005, 1:24 PM
Well I just about froze my @$$ off this morning but I had to go put a couple boxes throught the new Keltec CA model. I shot three boxes of wolfe 55gr and a box of Winchester white box (40rnd walmart 55gr.) so ran a hundred trouble free rounds through the rifle. I didn't do any serious shooting for groups since it is snowing like crazy and 30 degrees outside. I did however do a lot of shooting at frozen 2 liter pop bottles placed at 30 to 100 yards away. What a fun little rifle, I tried it with no muzzle brake and then with my Smith Enterprise Muzzle brake attached . People have said on the board that these make a difference in recoil. Well maybe, The smith does seem to make it easier to stay on target but I would hardly call a muzzle brake on a keltec a must have item. all in all 100 rounds of great trouble free fun. Not a battle rifle, but I think the best detachable mag semi auto .223 rifle we subjects of Kalifornia are able to get.

Gunner:D

elmo
11-28-2005, 2:00 PM
great stuff man.

i just shot my su16 alpha model. I put maybe 100 rounds through it too, most of it was just sighting in my sight.

i was using the ss109 or the M855 ammo. I did have two feeding issues. one seemed like the brass casing was messed up on the shell itself and it couldn't feed correctly.

Overall happy with the gun. pretty tight groups, and they open up an inch or more after the barrel gets hot.

Gunner1
11-28-2005, 4:54 PM
I just finished cleaning the SU16ca and am really impressed with the little thing. the only thing i am concerned about is one of the mags. I only used one of the factory keltec mags and the front already looks chewed up. Not really a big deal since I did put away a couple dozen AR mags back in the early 90's. I really had a blast with the little carbine, Sights were right on the money at 50 yards. Well enough on to hit six two liter bottles in a row.
I ordered the compact handguards but have not put them on yet. They do look better, but the factory bipod/handguards are quite comfortable to shoot with. I may just leave them on. I think that this rifle may have the Glock affect on me. (Hated them at first, own three of them now) I most likely would have never bought one of the keltecs if I was not trapped behind enemy lines in Kalifornia, And I would have missed out on a really fun little gun. I cannot recommend them enough.

Gunner

Gunner1
11-30-2005, 4:36 PM
Well just had to do an update. I was at the range again today qualifying again and brought along the Keltec. Weather still cold and nasty but no rain. I mounted a cheap compact chinese 5x32 sks scope on the Keltec and sighted in in at 50 yards. Using ammo that was donted to our department from some federal agency (1989 production L.C. 55gr ball) I magaged a very respectable .62" group. I know that is not match standard by any means but this is a folding lightweight rifle with a six pound trigger pull.
I wish I could say that my group size doubled at 100 yards but it opened up to about 1.75" for five shots. Still pretty damned good in my book.
I could have sold a few after letting some of my co-workers shoot the thing today. All in all the rifle has seen about 800+ rounds so far with only one problem. One of the mags is dead, lasted about 400 rounds and is basically falling apart. Going back to Keltec for replacement.
I had to rub it in but it sure feels good to shoot free ammo:D

Gunner

C.G.
11-30-2005, 6:33 PM
Well just had to do an update. I was at the range again today qualifying again and brought along the Keltec. Weather still cold and nasty but no rain. I mounted a cheap compact chinese 5x32 sks scope on the Keltec and sighted in in at 50 yards. Using ammo that was donted to our department from some federal agency (1989 production L.C. 55gr ball) I magaged a very respectable .62" group. I know that is not match standard by any means but this is a folding lightweight rifle with a six pound trigger pull.
I wish I could say that my group size doubled at 100 yards but it opened up to about 1.75" for five shots. Still pretty damned good in my book.
I could have sold a few after letting some of my co-workers shoot the thing today. All in all the rifle has seen about 800+ rounds so far with only one problem. One of the mags is dead, lasted about 400 rounds and is basically falling apart. Going back to Keltec for replacement.
I had to rub it in but it sure feels good to shoot free ammo:D

Gunner

Glad you are happy with it. Kel-Tec will replace the mags, but now that I am on a second set, one of them pops rounds again when ii warm weather. Best to forget about them and use Bushmaster mags. Your 50 yard group is better than what I usually get, your hundred yard is similar to mine with XM193 which is usually 1.5"-1.75." One of these days I should try 200 yards, haven't done that yet.

elmo
11-30-2005, 8:19 PM
Glad you are happy with it. Kel-Tec will replace the mags, but now that I am on a second set, one of them pops rounds again when ii warm weather. Best to forget about them and use Bushmaster mags. Your 50 yard group is better than what I usually get, your hundred yard is similar to mine with XM193 which is usually 1.5"-1.75." One of these days I should try 200 yards, haven't done that yet.

Bow down to you guys. I can't shoot those kind of groups with my keltec, actually past 50 yards, it's just a dot to me anyway so i'm just shooting in that direction :)

C.G.
11-30-2005, 8:30 PM
Bow down to you guys. I can't shoot those kind of groups with my keltec, actually past 50 yards, it's just a dot to me anyway so i'm just shooting in that direction :)

Elmo, that is with a scope, not irons; I have SU-16A, where the front sight "free-floats" instead of the handguards.:D
Even my FAL has better sights than that and there not that great!

Gunner1
11-30-2005, 9:08 PM
I forgot to stress that was my best group of the day at 50 yards. The chinese 5x32 scope helped alot. With the Hakko tacpoint I have I cannot come close to that. However I do like shooting the rifle with the dot sight the best. As for the factory mags I am going to have Keltec replace the failed unit and just throw them in the safe. Luckily I have quite a few G.I. 20 rounders that I stockpiled before Kalifornia declared war on gun owners.
I have shot some wolf 55 gr. fmj through the gun and that seems to open up the groups a little, The big surprise came when trying to shoot off the bipod. Groups turned into verticle patterns about eight inches high and five inches wide regardless of ammo used. I guess the bipod was designed as a cleaning aide?:confused:

Gunner

C.G.
12-01-2005, 1:37 AM
I forgot to stress that was my best group of the day at 50 yards. The chinese 5x32 scope helped alot. With the Hakko tacpoint I have I cannot come close to that. However I do like shooting the rifle with the dot sight the best. As for the factory mags I am going to have Keltec replace the failed unit and just throw them in the safe. Luckily I have quite a few G.I. 20 rounders that I stockpiled before Kalifornia declared war on gun owners.
I have shot some wolf 55 gr. fmj through the gun and that seems to open up the groups a little, The big surprise came when trying to shoot off the bipod. Groups turned into verticle patterns about eight inches high and five inches wide regardless of ammo used. I guess the bipod was designed as a cleaning aide?:confused:

Gunner
I have to tell you, i have never thought much about the "bipod". The only time it came apart was when I put the sling on and when I clean the rifle. But it is a decent handguard.