PDA

View Full Version : Taxes

usctrojan
12-16-2009, 9:15 AM
Is there any special taxes on guns purchased online?

Scratch705
12-16-2009, 9:20 AM
you do know you still have to pay tax right? on your tax form it is listed as a USE TAX. and you are suppose to list all items bought out of state so that you pay your share of the taxes.

of course this is based on the honor system, but legally you are suppose to report all purchases. ;)

glock_this
12-16-2009, 9:21 AM
you do know you still have to pay tax right? on your tax form it is listed as a USE TAX. and you are suppose to list all items bought out of state so that you pay your share of the taxes.

of course this is based on the honor system, but legally you are suppose to report all purchases. ;)

just let your tax man handle the particulars as you give receipts

Scratch705
12-16-2009, 9:26 AM
no one ever does.....

but if IRS finds out.... audit time. and back taxes to pay. hence the subtle hint to OP and potentially others to not publicly say they buy out of state to avoid taxes

glock_this
12-16-2009, 9:33 AM
thats precisely why I never buy off the web, only local retail - keep the money in my hood and state, as we need it in CA - just ask Arnold :)

Fate
12-16-2009, 9:37 AM
I buy almost everything online to avoid taxes. I am curious if there are any exemptions to this rule for guns?

http://1idvet.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/welcome-to-fail.jpg

usctrojan
12-16-2009, 9:43 AM
My tax guy covers that ground for me. :)

MrClamperSir
12-16-2009, 9:51 AM
http://1idvet.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/welcome-to-fail.jpg
That made me laugh.

Quser.619
12-16-2009, 1:36 PM
Yeah ran my mouth online about some things purchased out of state & already have made sure they were included in my return as USE tax.

OlderThanDirt
12-16-2009, 2:48 PM
no one ever does.....

but if IRS finds out.... audit time. and back taxes to pay. hence the subtle hint to OP and potentially others to not publicly say they buy out of state to avoid taxes

The IRS doesn't care. However, the CA Franchise Tax Board will soak you for the Use Tax, as well as interest and penalties.

kf6tac
12-16-2009, 2:49 PM
The IRS doesn't care. However, the CA Franchise Tax Board will soak you for the Use Tax, as well as interest and penalties.

Yep, especially now that the state is flat broke.

usctrojan
12-16-2009, 3:02 PM
Hey no worries about the use tax here! My tax accountant asks me a ton of questions... just never knew what he was doing or the official names. So everyone relax; I am not a theif... just an idiot in phrasing questions!

Anyways I found out the answer to the question I meant to ask. When doing an internet sale CA FFLs charge you the sales tax. So there is no use tax that has to be paid later.

Thanks!

Silverback
12-16-2009, 3:40 PM
Anyways I found out the answer to the question I meant to ask. When doing an internet sale CA FFLs charge you the sales tax. So there is no use tax that has to be paid later.
Thanks!

That depends on the FFL. The one I generally use does not have an inventory. I believe the logic is that your gun would be considered as part of his inventory and therefore subject to taxes. No inventory means no tax collected by the FFL.

Regardless - the tax is due on your tax forms if its isn't paid via the FFL.