PDA

View Full Version : mini-14 factory 10 rd mag?

bobby7321
11-27-2005, 8:27 PM
10 rd mag for my mini-14 ranch rifle is completely legal in CA correct?

if so, anyone know the best mags for the mini-14? are there factory 10rd mags available? doing a search all i get it other name brand mags, and im sure most of them dont work too well.

any advice is appreciated. thanks

HEUER
11-27-2005, 8:57 PM
The best magazine for the Mini 14 question.

If you have good reliable magazines, the Ruger Mini 14 becomes a handy little rifle. Poor magazines, and you might as well just throw the rifle at the target

The factory five round and twenty round magazines are the best ever produced for the Mini 14 series rifle.

The John Masen 10 round magazines are shorter than some other after-market manufatures 10 round magazines and look odd in the rifle, but they feed and function correctly.

Ruger did produce a factory 10 round magazine, but they are hard to find. They do come up from time to time. Check www.perfectunionbbs.com for a lead on the magazines. They will have a Ruger proof mark on the floorplate. They usually are pretty expensive, but the demensions are very good.

Be advised that many magazines will function and fit in a Ruger Mini 14, and not perform as well in a Ranch Rifle (I cannot explain why).

I have re-built a Triple K magazine with a factory Ruger floor plate and despite a lot of work it refuses to keep the bolt open.

You cannot swap out the Triple-K magazine with a Ruger follower because the capacity goes from 10 to 12, and therefore you have created a magazine with the capacity of ten rounds or more which is against the law in California. This also tends to "dip" or "tilit" the follower in the foward direction, creating poor feeding action.

I do not rec Triple K magazines for this reason.

Plastic "Eagle' magazines have mixed reviews. I have never owned any, but I have seen a gentleman at the range who could not get the magazine to hold the bolt open.

USA brand 10 rounds (or any other magazine made by them) are junk.

The fives and the twenties always feed and function. If you did not purchase twenty round magazines before the 2000 ban, the factory five is a very good selection.

I hope that helps.

HEUER
11-27-2005, 9:08 PM
These are even shorter than the John Masen magazines, but I have read very good reviews about these magazines:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?sku=MAG-384

bobby7321
11-27-2005, 11:23 PM
thanks for the info.

people seem to recommend PROMAG 10 rounders on some other sites i checked out.

also any idea why cheaperthandirt, wont sell those 10 rounders to us in california?

HEUER
11-28-2005, 12:10 AM
I was not aware that they no longer ship 10 round magzines to California. Try Cabela's.

GTKrockeTT
11-28-2005, 12:10 AM
i have 4 10rd ProMags. after 1K+ rounds, i have yet to have a failure from any of these mags. i've heard rumors that they are OEM for ruger, or at the very least, the floor plates are exactly the same (short of the ruger stamp).

shopkeep
11-28-2005, 2:03 AM
I personally really like the 5s. They have a really clean flush look to them when they're in the rifle and they feed excellently. They especially look nice in the stainless steel rifle with a synthetic stock. Real good choice for varminting.

bobby7321
11-28-2005, 12:33 PM
yeah the factory 5 rounder is nice and does the job perfectly.
i just want some other options depending on the use of the gun at the moment.

also PMI and ProMag are one in the same, correct?

marklbucla
11-28-2005, 12:39 PM
For the Promags, try checking out Natchezss.com. I remember that they were pretty cheap there.

I bought four or five and never used em.

maxicon
11-28-2005, 11:47 PM
I couldn't find any on natchez - maybe I'm not looking in the right spot.

They're listed at http://www.44mag.com/products.asp?dept=1263 for $15, but they're out of stock.

Looks like http://store.yahoo.com/gunclip-depot/rumise.html has them for $17 (they also sell them on ebay - $5 shipping).

The only aftermarket mag I have experience with so far is a John Masen 10 round, which holds the bolt open when empty roughly every other time.

max

HeHateMe
11-29-2005, 7:21 PM
I have some nickel finish 10 rnds Promags. They work just fine. PMI and Promag are not the same. PMI, I believe is long gone.