PDA

View Full Version : Warning on mag capacity!

RANGER295
12-15-2009, 7:59 PM
Actually check the capacity of any “ten round” mags that you are running with a BB or any other fixed-mag configuration. Physically try to put 11 rounds in there. Make sure that some LEO can not jam an 11th round in there. I discovered by accident that one of my C-Products mags actually would hold 11 rounds. It was tight but it would go in. I started talking to a friend and he checked his mags and found that he could to the same with his Bushmaster mag. I sent an email to C-Products and they sent me another one and my old one is on the way back. The new one is ok, but not quite as tight as I would like.

I now have some 30 round rebuild kits on the way and I am going to convert them to 10 rounders. That seems to be the safest option. At least then I know it is done right.

thedrickel
12-15-2009, 8:03 PM
Don't buy promag 10rd AK mags . . .

RANGER295
12-15-2009, 8:23 PM
Don't buy promag 10rd AK mags . . .

I wouldn't buy a ProMag anything... I have had bad luck with them feeding.

gemini1
12-15-2009, 8:54 PM

I've had good luck with promags, bought 2 10/20s and its been flawless since day 1 that I've decided to just keep the pmags 20 & 30 rebuild kits in the safe to use when SHTF.

Table Rock Arms
12-15-2009, 8:57 PM

Thats not luck. No ProMags for me.

toopercentmlk
12-15-2009, 9:18 PM
Well if I buy a magazine that is manufactured and approved as a 10 round capacity then that's the important part as long as you don't modify it right? I'm sure I can cram an 11th round into most handgun magazines I've ever had so this couldn't be too big of an issue.

Also about AK mags, which do you guys recommend for 10rders?

wintermute
12-15-2009, 9:48 PM
Well if I buy a magazine that is manufactured and approved as a 10 round capacity then that's the important part as long as you don't modify it right? I'm sure I can cram an 11th round into most handgun magazines I've ever had so this couldn't be too big of an issue.

Also about AK mags, which do you guys recommend for 10rders?

Approved by whom? It's not like the CA DOJ is inspecting modified PMAG 20 or 30 rounders and stamping them with their gold seal of approval for use in California. These magazines are usually modified by third parties, and quality of the modification can vary greatly.

For handguns, probably not an issue at all since it is legal to use pre-ban hi-caps in that case. For OLL built AR style rifles however, this could be a very real issue indeed. If your rifle configuration simply appears to be an assault weapon at first glance by an LEO, (pistol grip, collapsible stock, flash hider etc.) and further inspection revealed that your "fixed" 10/20 mag actually was capable of receiving 11 or 12 rounds, then guess what? You'll likely have some explaining to do in court as you now have an assault weapon as defined under CA law.

Not something I want to do.

I have seen other 10/20 C-Products mags take and feed as many as 13 rounds. Quality control on these apparently isn't top notch. I would heed the warning and check the capacity of your fixed mag rifles if you use a modified high cap that has been restricted to 10 rounds. Make sure it really only holds 10 rounds.

Of course, that's just me.

RANGER295
12-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Approved by whom? It's not like the CA DOJ is inspecting modified PMAG 20 or 30 rounders and stamping them with their gold seal of approval for use in California. These magazines are usually modified by third parties, and quality of the modification can vary greatly.

For handguns, probably not an issue at all since it is legal to use pre-ban hi-caps in that case. For OLL built AR style rifles however, this could be a very real issue indeed. If your rifle configuration simply appears to be an assault weapon at first glance by an LEO, (pistol grip, collapsible stock, flash hider etc.) and further inspection revealed that your "fixed" 10/20 mag actually was capable of receiving 11 or 12 rounds, then guess what? You'll likely have some explaining to do in court as you now have an assault weapon as defined under CA law.

Not something I want to do.

I have seen other 10/20 C-Products mags take and feed as many as 13 rounds. Quality control on these apparently isn't top notch. I would heed the warning and check the capacity of your fixed mag rifles if you use a modified high cap that has been restricted to 10 rounds. Make sure it really only holds 10 rounds.

Of course, that's just me.

Bingo! If this was a mag for my M1a, my Mini-14, my 10/22, my Sigs, my 1911, or one of my other magazine fed weapons, I would not care so much. It is the fact that a semi-automatic, center-fire rifle with a fixed magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is considered an AW in CA.

But don’t just assume that it is 10/20 or 10/30 mags that have this problem. Both of the mags in my OP were standard ten rounders, not “hi-caps” modified to hold ten. I am starting to think though, like I said, that modifying your own may be the safest. I am thinking of making them hold nine so there is no way an 11th round could be forced in there.

The Director
12-16-2009, 8:40 AM
Quality of the magazine mod varies greatly....I know. I made my own 10/30s a while back and basically measured wrong on all of them. I pulled the measurement to the rivet hole off some site and never checked the capacity until I had them all built up.....turns out they all hold exactly nine rounds! You can't squeeze a tenth in there to save your life, much less an eleventh.

I was like...who cares....I'm normally not that cautious but the extra round is not something I care about and it gives me even more of a safety factor so I'm not on the bleeding edge.

I now have a bunch of 9/30s!!!!!

510shooter510
12-16-2009, 10:02 AM
By accident I put 11 rounds in my 10 round Glock mag at the range. Surprised the hell out of me. THey were new mags so I was really shoving in my 9th, 10th and I guess my 11th round. THere were none in the chamber as the action was open.
I think that most mags will do it without breaking, but you would have to really force it in there. There should be no law against this, as long as the mag is designed for 10 rounds and you only have 10 rounds in there.

Purple K
12-16-2009, 11:05 AM
If you buy a 10-rd magazine and some LEO manages to force an 11th round into it, the issue is with the manufacturer. If the magazine was configured to hold 10-rds by you, the issue is with you.

Wizard99
12-16-2009, 11:07 AM
If you were sold a mag that holds more than 10 rounds and it was sold as a 10 round mag, you now have a "high cap" magazine and you didn't beak the law in aquiring it. Why can't you then modify it to hold 20 or 30 rounds? And use it in a featureless build.

tazmanian devil dog
12-16-2009, 11:47 AM
If a LEO is so hard up for an OLL arrest that he would go to that extent, well, he shouldn't even be a LEO. I know many officers who wouldn't go to that extent, hell, they probably wouldn't even care if your rifle was configured legally or not. They have better things to do with their time. All this anal retentive discussion about mag capacity and bullet buttons is all intended for that 1 out of a 100 officers who would be a complete jerk. For the record I am not saying that we should disobey the law, I'm just saying that most intelligent officers don't give two turds about this crap unless they caught you doing something incredibly stupid or you are a known scumbag.

That's my two cents.

ripcurlksm
12-16-2009, 12:50 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/image.php?u=27823&dateline=1259367364

Charging!

lorax3
12-16-2009, 1:07 PM
If you buy a 10-rd magazine and some LEO manages to force an 11th round into it, the issue is with the manufacturer. If the magazine was configured to hold 10-rds by you, the issue is with you.

I would disagree. If we were talking about issues with manufacturing/importing a large-capacity magazine I think your argument would have more weight; however for purposes of creating an AW the origin of the magazines seems irrelevant.

Make sure you know which magazines are which, do not use 11 round magazines in a BB build.

Just because you 'ordered' a ten round mag and it happens to hold eleven doesn't exempt you from AW regs.

Sick Boy
12-16-2009, 1:13 PM
I make sure my 10/20s are sent as rebuild kits and I have the guy cut the blocks slightly longer than normal so I can sand them down so they just hold 10. :thumbsup:

dirtnap
12-16-2009, 1:26 PM
If a LEO is so hard up for an OLL arrest that he would go to that extent, well, he shouldn't even be a LEO. I know many officers who wouldn't go to that extent, hell, they probably wouldn't even care if your rifle was configured legally or not. They have better things to do with their time. All this anal retentive discussion about mag capacity and bullet buttons is all intended for that 1 out of a 100 officers who would be a complete jerk. For the record I am not saying that we should disobey the law, I'm just saying that most intelligent officers don't give two turds about this crap unless they caught you doing something incredibly stupid or you are a known scumbag.

That's my two cents.

Exactly, and if u keep ur rifle case locked they generally stop there. I've been through secondary three times on the way to and from the imperial valley from SD and they didn't even ask for the key. I think it's the veterans that don't care for the most part, rookies can be a PITA.

high_revs
12-16-2009, 1:39 PM
I'm confused. Are we talking about 10-round in a 10-round body magazines accepting an 11th round?

Or are we talking about 15/20/25/30 round bodies configured only to accept 10-rounds by a manufacturer/retailer (not by yourself)?

I guess if an LEO really wanted to, he can bring a vice or even a C-clamp with him and force an 11th round in. I thought 10-round bodies are really just 10-round mags even if you try to use a vice.

OHOD
12-16-2009, 4:19 PM

That's my two cents.

I was at the range shooting my MP15T, when a guy came up to me and said
"What makes that rifle legal"

Don't know who he was, but I had answers for him. BB. 10-round mag.

He walked away without saying a word.

If I didn't know, then I often wonder what he would have done.
I guess it would have been easy to take a gun from a girl that "didn't know". :p

Nate74
12-16-2009, 5:06 PM
If somebody doesn't identify themselves as a LEO, obviously you don't have to say a word, but if a uniformed LEO comes up to you and asks you something, you can take the 5th right? So at what point have you given him probable cause to examine your weapon? Does he even have a right to examine it at a privately owned range? How about BLM or Federal/State land?

The only LEO I've ever even talked to at a range wanted to ask me about my Southern Illinois University t-shirt; he was from Carbondale... go figure.

Purple K
12-16-2009, 10:35 PM
:beatdeadhorse5: :beatdeadhorse5: :beatdeadhorse5:

cmth
12-16-2009, 11:30 PM
Every SKS I have seen will take an 11th round in the internal magazine. It's not designed to be an 11 round mag, but you can cram one in there. I guess that means there aren't any legal SKSes in the state.

tazmanian devil dog
12-18-2009, 11:20 AM
I was at the range shooting my MP15T, when a guy came up to me and said
"What makes that rifle legal"

Don't know who he was, but I had answers for him. BB. 10-round mag.

He walked away without saying a word.

If I didn't know, then I often wonder what he would have done.
I guess it would have been easy to take a gun from a girl that "didn't know". :p

Glad you knew your stuff!!!

tazmanian devil dog
12-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Exactly, and if u keep ur rifle case locked they generally stop there. I've been through secondary three times on the way to and from the imperial valley from SD and they didn't even ask for the key. I think it's the veterans that don't care for the most part, rookies can be a PITA.

Thanks for having my back on this one Dirtnap!! I appreciate it!!:rockon: