PDA

View Full Version : Should Gun Owners Talk To The Media?

mhho
12-15-2009, 5:53 PM
Many say do not talk to the media on gun issues, period! Should that always be the case? Is it truly the best course of action? Check out this point of view from two people (and neither of them are lawyers, so to also cover the "reserved for lawyers only" argument) who have a lot of experience talking to the media on guns then let us know your thoughts. Here is the link. The meat and potato part really starts at 17 minutes in.

http://guntalk.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=559568

Now that you have heard their point of view, what are your thoughts on "never talk to the media on gun issues, period!" ...

joelberg
12-15-2009, 5:57 PM
I dunno. Pullnshoot had a really good article in the San Diego reader, but I think often the media will just twist your words to make you sound like a nut.

Satex
12-15-2009, 5:59 PM
For 99.9999% of gun owners - that should be the rule. Most don't have wisdom, the skills, and presentation to conduct themselves in a way that will be appropriate, and will fall into every trap that a junior journalist will place. Leave the talking to the 0.00001% that are skilled trained professionals.

BTW, for those of you that will get offended and flame me, I put my self in the 99.9999% group.

kf6tac
12-15-2009, 6:00 PM
I try not to talk to the media on any issues, period, because no matter what I say, they'll be sure to cut out a 5 second snippet in a manner that is least representative of my overall message and use that.

Satex
12-15-2009, 6:04 PM
And BTW, pullandshoot thought he was a tough cookie on the Chip Franklin show, and Chip pulled a fast one on him before he got more than "Hi Chip" out of his mouth. To those that don't remember, Chip Franklin forgot to tell pullandshoot that someone else would on the interview too...

HowardW56
12-15-2009, 6:09 PM
For 99.9999% of gun owners - that should be the rule. Most don't have wisdom, the skills, and presentation to conduct themselves in a way that will be appropriate, and will fall into every trap that a junior journalist will place. Leave the talking to the 0.00001% that are skilled trained professionals.

BTW, for those of you that will get offended and flame me, I put my self in the 99.9999% group.

It's absolutely true...

It takes a well thought response to every question to prevent being labeled an an Bible hugging gun nut...

H Paul Payne
12-15-2009, 6:10 PM
"Should Gun Owners Talk To The Media?"

Usually, NO!

CavTrooper
12-15-2009, 6:11 PM
Nope.

Gun owners are illiterate, inbred, hillbillies that should stick to skinnin squirrels and marrying their cousins.

:D

dustoff31
12-15-2009, 6:16 PM
No, never talk to the media, about anything, ever. We knew this 100 years ago and nothing has changed.

"Do not fear your enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your Honor. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse."

Mark Twain

wilit
12-15-2009, 6:28 PM
"Should Gun Owners Talk To The Media?"

Usually, NO!

I have to respectfully disagree with you. My wife works as an editor for a Bay Area newspaper, and if I don't talk to her daily, I'd be in big trouble. :D

bambam8d1
12-15-2009, 6:32 PM
Nope.

Gun owners are illiterate, inbred, hillbillies that should stick to skinnin squirrels and marrying their cousins.

:D

Yayuuhhh!! Izzz likes shooten squirrels.. HEY!! GO TO YER ROOM! YALL LISTEN TO UR AUNT MAMA Y'HEAR!!!

Seesm
12-15-2009, 8:38 PM
I think if you can deliver a well spoken talk to the media it would be hard to "Twist" what you have to say but they seem to find a way... Editing is pretty easy. Careful out there.

Theseus
12-15-2009, 8:43 PM
How can you not talk to the media and tell them to go away?

hoffmang
12-15-2009, 8:48 PM

It's very easy to politely decline to speak to them.

-Gene

M. Sage
12-15-2009, 8:50 PM

No comment. :p

Theseus
12-15-2009, 8:53 PM
It's very easy to politely decline to speak to them.

-Gene

Leave it to Gene to dry up my rain before it hits the ground. :p

I am actually pretty experienced talking to the media. . . Part of my job. . . when I have one.

wash
12-15-2009, 9:09 PM
At the San Mateo board of supervisors meeting this morning, several of us including Gene, Bill, Drickel and I were talking to a reporter. It wasn't a full interview but we answered a few questions. I don't think anyone said anything that will come back to haunt us.

Things might have been different if it had been one on one or if the reporter was not friendly to our cause.

I think I could get caught in a trap question by a reporter trying to make me look bad but I think it's closer to 0.1% that can run rings around most reporters, not 0.00001%.

tenpercentfirearms
12-15-2009, 9:37 PM
I was just thinking about this. If you are ever going to do an interview, you should record it too. I would tell them that you will grant a TV interview as long as you can have your own person record it as well. That way if it ever comes into dispute, you will have the stock footage.

Of course you should still say no, but it would be interesting to see if like recording the police, they behave differently when they know they can be held accountable.

Luieburger
12-16-2009, 9:15 AM
I learned not to talk to the media back in high school when I was misquoted in the school paper. I guess I really did learn something in high school. :P

Glock22Fan
12-16-2009, 9:30 AM
There MIGHT be honest people in the media, but even if the reporter is, his editor may not be.

And never forget the recent example. A TV station can take a polite African American carrying a rifle over his shoulder several blocks from Obama and edit it to appear that a white redneck is intent on racial violence against the (so called) president.

artherd
12-16-2009, 9:56 AM
"I have no recollection of those events, Senator."

OneApart
12-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Many say do not talk to the media on gun issues, period! Should that always be the case? Is it truly the best course of action?

I think anytime someone uses the word "Every or All", chances are it is an incorrect statement.

I would think that depends on what is being said to them (media)........

If it is a "from the top of your head" type statement, and supportive information is not relayed...... than no. :no:

If it is a well-thought out conclusion, backed up by facts to support your argument (and if you are ready for backlash, or just plain uneducated questions/comments - I should add) than why not?

People are generally afraid of the unknown. The less education they have on a topic, the more likely they are to be influenced by urban legends, heresay, and unsubstantiated :fud:...... and that's not good for anyone.

With knowledge, comes the burden of responsibility. We have a duty to inform & educate the GP on proper handling, and maintenance of firearms.
Eliminate the :fud:, and at the very least it should eliminate alot of arguments based on less than all the facts (unless they are liberals :D)

Change takes place within the individual, followed by the home, community, etc.

There's my couple of pennies......

Doug L
12-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Many say do not talk to the media on gun issues, period!
Should that always be the case?
Is it truly the best course of action?

If you mean a live, in-person, on-the-spot interview, then, yes, it's probably not a good idea to talk to the press about gun issues.
Reporters---as many of us have already experienced---are notoriously inept at transmitting quotes accurately, and in context.

If you want to communicate with the press (and others) on gun issues, a much better vehicle would be a Letter to the Editor of the newspaper of your choice.
In this way, you have time to compose your thoughts in the peace a quiet of your own home, without any time pressure, and then send it when you are satisfied that you have expressed yourself clearly and accurately.
Unless your letter is excessively long, most newspapers are pretty good about printing the letters unedited, and unabridged.
(The length of this post would be just about right for a letter to the editor.)

Steyrlp10
12-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Under "normal" circumstances, I would hesitate to talk to anyone I didn't know. Eek -- stranger danger!

But years ago while running a basic pistol course with some other club members, a female reporter asked if I would speak to her for a few minutes because I was the only woman walking the line. She was fair and didn't pen a slanted article. It actually cast a good light on the range and how the club members were trying to safely educate the public about the shooting sports.

hoffmang
12-16-2009, 4:34 PM
The reality is that talking to the media is a skill. It's not rocket science, but you really do want to have taken at least the 15 minute "class" from someone who has done it before, before you do it. On gun issues, there are a lot more landmines than in other topic categories.

-Gene

Sgt Raven
12-16-2009, 4:42 PM
No comment. :p

No Comment, is a COMMENT. :TFH:

CitaDeL
12-16-2009, 5:02 PM
Yes.

If you are prone to masochistic self abuse, by all means talk to the media. In order to keep on message you have to utterly ignore the questions and answer with your three memorized talking points, just like politicians do when the camera is on.

What's even more difficult is to maintain a dead pan poker face when they ask you, "Why do you support the atrocity of small arms proliferation in this nation at the expense of the lives of children?"...

Rob454
12-16-2009, 5:07 PM
Depends what media. Your average liberal media is gona try and make gun owners look like crazy unstable people. The conservative media will make them look like zealots.
The media today is not really what i consider to be unbiased

cbn620
12-16-2009, 5:09 PM
Yes.

If you are prone to masochistic self abuse, by all means talk to the media. In order to keep on message you have to utterly ignore the questions and answer with your three memorized talking points, just like politicians do when the camera is on.

What's even more difficult is to maintain a dead pan poker face when they ask you, "Why do you support the atrocity of small arms proliferation in this nation at the expense of the lives of children?"...

Firstly I'd say that I think "supporting the atrocity of small arms proliferation" is overstating the issue, and practically loads the question. Then I would say I don't know that firearms kill more children than they save people. I would ask them if they've read the book on gun statistics, Gun Facts, and refer them to where they can download it for free (www.gunfacts.info).

So tell me how I did. I'm not editing any of the above, so it's train of thought. This is good practice.