PDA

View Full Version : CCW's by County

Cougar
12-15-2009, 4:31 PM
Considering how some Counties are virtual "Shall Issue" to qualified persons while others are at the oposite end of the spectrum, with various shades of grey in between, I thought the the following report of CCW holders by County through 2007 was interesting information.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ccwissuances2007.pdf

Check out SF county..... 6 CCW's in SF county in 2007?

And also see attached

Definately Not Monkeyboy
12-15-2009, 4:40 PM
I was surprised to see how many Orange, Los Angeles and San Diego issued versus most of the other counties. Until I realized that they have HUGE populations. That makes the 1500 or so that they each seem to issue every year seem pretty pathetic.

Fjold
12-15-2009, 6:20 PM
I'm waiting for the 2009 numbers. Kern County has issued a lot this year.

bambam8d1
12-15-2009, 6:37 PM
San Francisco had alot

not4un
12-16-2009, 9:12 AM
Yes but the Orange County Sheriff that is in there for now started earlier this year send letters to people that they need a better Good Cause statement and has suspended several peoples permits. For those of you who don't know about calccw.com I suggest you check it out. The site has tons of info on ccw

mtptwo
12-16-2009, 9:31 AM
I am really surprised about Tehama. It is practically shall issue, yet only ~700 chose to carry.

cindynles
12-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I wonder how many of those permits are Judicial or Reserve PD?

gotgunz
12-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Part of the reason for low numbers is that most people don't even realize it is possible to get a ccw or that others are carrying.

Quser.619
12-16-2009, 1:34 PM
Part of the reason for low numbers is that most people don't even realize it is possible to get a ccw or that others are carrying.

Or those that do don;t want to jump through the hoops until they have everything aligned perfectly. I own a business & can justify filing for a CCW, but am waiting until I get things in my business set up perfectly. I have read time & again that you essentially only get one chance & I don;t want to blow it.

Cougar
12-16-2009, 2:31 PM

Undoubtedly there is some of that....

But by design, at many levels there are deterrents in the form of various obstacles of time, effort and money.

I'm lucky to live in a county which generally does issue to qualified individuals.

But even then, there are deterrents:

1) The entire, multi faceted legal morass. A ridiculous level of complexity and lack of uniformity of regulation.

2) It costs me on average, about $100 per year to hold a CCW**

3) It costs me 4 hours of class time, a 40 mile round trip drive and some more time to file a renewal every 2 years**

**Whereas, last I checked - you can exercise 1st amendment rights without such costs.

By design, a lot of regular folks wont jump through the hoops to do it.

MudCamper
12-16-2009, 2:41 PM
Those numbers are meaningless until you divide them by the populations. Then, Modoc, for example, will likely be the highest.

Cougar
12-16-2009, 3:00 PM
Those numbers are meaningless until you divide them by the populations. Then, Modoc, for example, will likely be the highest.

Yea... I think that we knew all knew that ;-)

Cougar
12-16-2009, 3:44 PM
****See Attached*****

I did it fast, so look for typos....

The attached lists number of CCW holders (as reported by the Cal-DOJ web site) in 2007; the 2008 county population; and the resulting calculated percentage of the population of who hold CCW's.

As expected, SF county is as the bottom, with tiny Sierra County topping the list with over 3% of their population holding CCW permits.

The left hand columns are organized alphabetically by County Name, and the right hand columns are organized by CCW percentage.

It would also be interesting to overlay certain types of crime statistics... but, back to my day job. ....

The Director
12-16-2009, 4:55 PM
Good job, bro. :thumbsup:

****See Attached*****

I did it fast, so look for typos....

The attached lists number of CCW holders (as reported by the Cal-DOJ web site) in 2007; the 2008 county population; and the resulting calculated percentage of the population of who hold CCW's.

As expected, SF county is as the bottom, with tiny Sierra County topping the list with over 3% of their population holding CCW permits.

The left hand columns are organized alphabetically by County Name, and the right hand columns are organized by CCW percentage.

It would also be interesting to overlay certain types of crime statistics... but, back to my day job. ....

Kid Stanislaus
12-16-2009, 5:50 PM
I used this information as a basis for a letter to the Modesto Bee. I urge ALL Calgunners to write a letter to the editor at least once a month. We cannot afford to remain silen, the opposition certainly is not.

JustinStrife
12-16-2009, 7:35 PM
Ya San Diego's only got a .047%... Not much chance I'll ever be able to get a CCW here. :(

GuyW
12-16-2009, 8:10 PM
Ya San Diego's only got a .047%... Not much chance I'll ever be able to get a CCW here. :(

Work to get Jay La Suer elected Sheriff of SD County....

Paladin
12-16-2009, 8:51 PM
I'm waiting for the 2009 numbers. Kern County has issued a lot this year.

You'll have a long wait. If/when they get back on their usual schedule, the 2009 numbers will be released in early Aug 2010.

I'm still waiting for the 2008 numbers, which are now 4 1/2 months late. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=218704

Paladin
12-16-2009, 8:54 PM
Part of the reason for low numbers is that most people don't even realize it is possible to get a ccw or that others are carrying.If you click on the link in one of my sig lines, you'll find promotional materials ("business card fliers", conventional fliers) that everyone and anyone can use to get the word out. Feel free to modify for your target audience.