PDA

View Full Version : How About a Little Common Sense?

Kid Stanislaus
12-15-2009, 1:46 PM
Hey guys and gals, I'm about up to my eyeballs with this silly kkrrapp about people not recording the serial numbers of their guns and keeping them in a safe place! Hey, how much brain power does it take? There's another thread running here concurrently about some guy who's house was raided by the cops and all his guns confiscated. Not only did he not have a list of the serial numbers but he didn't even ATTEMPT to get them back until several years later!! HO-CHEE-MAMA!! Why would anybody just flat out make it EASY to lose their guns? Not only are my serial numbers recorded in a file on my hard drive, but I made up a hard copy and sent it to a trusted relative for safe keeping. If my place burns down and the computer is fried I'll still be able to get the serial numbers. Today, I'm going to make copies of all my receipts and send that along to that same trusted relative. Let's use our noggins folks.

dansgold
12-15-2009, 1:50 PM
Not only do I have all date-of-purchase and serial numbers recorded, but they are stored electronically both offsite physically and online via Carbonite backup. That way, if the records are stolen with the guns, I still can get of my info for insurance/LEO.

professionalcoyotehunter
12-15-2009, 1:51 PM
Dont worry I am covered and insured.

Luieburger
12-15-2009, 1:56 PM
Thanks for the reminder! I'll need to record everything for my new family member when I bring her home tonight.

Glock22Fan
12-15-2009, 2:04 PM
Thanks for the reminder! I'll need to record everything for my new family member when I bring her home tonight.

Congratulations!

Vtec44
12-15-2009, 2:31 PM
I have a scanned copy of all my DROS and 4473 forms on my computer, then that computer is backed up through the network to another computer, and a good home owner insurance policy. :D

Cokebottle
12-15-2009, 2:44 PM
And don't store your important personal documents in the gun safe!

Most homes should have at least two fireproof safes, in addition to off-site backup.
Does anyone ever use bank safe deposit boxes anymore?
Are they any safer than a hidden floor or wall safe?

Kid Stanislaus
12-15-2009, 9:48 PM

Most homes should have at least two fireproof safes, in addition to off-site backup.

Well, I do keep my divorce papers in there, I'd sure hate for them to get stolen!

davescz
12-15-2009, 9:58 PM

during the great depression , FDR had illegalized private ownership of gold coins, he had a bank holiday declared, and feds went thru the banks safe deposit boxes, without the owners present. Gold was confiscated, and you got a reciept for what the government established as the price of gold. did not matter if the coins were rare, they paid you by weight in gold. They only paid for the gold they said they took. The Feds conducted this with complete honesty and transparencey in the privacy of the bank vault.:laugh::laugh:
needless to say many many folks reported their possesions stolen.

a safe box is not an good option for me. dont keep anything valuable nor confidential in one.

justbill5789
12-15-2009, 9:58 PM
Ok, guys don’t jump all over me but I am new and I want to learn. Why do I need to copy all my serial numbers, from my guns, and store them in a secure location? What documents do I need to copy? I have a 12 gun (fireproof) safe, that I would keep the documents in, along with the guns. Any and all advice is taken.

Cokebottle
12-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Ok, guys donít jump all over me but I am new and I want to learn. Why do I need to copy all my serial numbers, from my guns, and store them in a secure location? What documents do I need to copy? I have a 12 gun (fireproof) safe, that I would keep the documents in, along with the guns. Any and all advice is taken.
If someone breaks into the safe (easier than it sounds), the guns and documentation are right there.
Guns and documents in the same place ranks right up there with having your registration, and garage door opener in the console of your car.
Someone breaks into your car at the mall, snags your registration and your opener. They now have your address and access to your garage... and home if you don't keep the door to the garage locked.
They also know that you're at the mall.

If your guns are stolen, you will need the serial numbers to report them.
If they are recovered, you may need proof of ownership to get them back. CADOJ does not keep registration records of long guns, so the receipt/DROS is your best proof of ownership, and the serial number is on it.

GearHead
12-15-2009, 10:23 PM
I have my serial numbers as well as copies of my important documents and pictures of all my body parts stored in hermetically sealed bags scattered across the United States in various fields, orchards and wells. As of 2005, I have 3 orbiting satellites that contain triple redundant copies of this information as well so that I can summon them for insurance purposes (or body-part cloning) in the event of a world-wide catastrophe. Can't be too careful IMO.

davescz
12-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Ok, guys donít jump all over me but I am new and I want to learn. Why do I need to copy all my serial numbers, from my guns, and store them in a secure location? What documents do I need to copy? I have a 12 gun (fireproof) safe, that I would keep the documents in, along with the guns. Any and all advice is taken.

the extra copy of serial numbers will help if the safe is stolen or broke into and documents destroyed. sales recipts will help confirm ownership. but even a list of numbers and discriptions may make the differance between you getting them back or not. Photos of your guns showing conditon and special marks will help identify them as yours, and may help insurance recoveries if condition of the firearm is in dispute.

keeping these documents, numbers pictures in a seperate secure spot is wise, just in case of a catostrophic fire or robbery. These can help in recovery or insurance claims.

do the same for your car, jewlery, coins, stamps, stocks, expensive tools, toys etc...

liketoshoot
12-16-2009, 6:15 AM
Copys in the safe, originals in the bank vault and record of what with pic's on the computer, always have, always will.

justbill5789
12-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks everyone for the education. I learned something new. I hate to admit it, but I never thought about having to prove that the guns were mine or having to provide serial numbers to an LEO. The pictures are a great suggestion. I have some guns that were passed from my father to me years ago. He bought them a very, very long time ago, when you could simply buy out of the local want ads or off friends. Thanks again.

AEC1
12-16-2009, 1:17 PM
I am sure that the person who I took the guns from had the SN's recorded. If my stuff gets stolen I will just go "aquire" more:laugh:

Kid Stanislaus
12-16-2009, 5:53 PM
I have my serial numbers as well as copies of my important documents and pictures of all my body parts stored in hermetically sealed bags scattered across the United States in various fields, orchards and wells. As of 2005, I have 3 orbiting satellites that contain triple redundant copies of this information as well so that I can summon them for insurance purposes (or body-part cloning) in the event of a world-wide catastrophe. Can't be too careful IMO.

WHAT? No safe deposit box?!!

cbn620
12-16-2009, 6:00 PM
They even give you the serial number on the DROS slip so they've already written it down for you. Stick the DROS slip into a file cabinet and you'll never have to worry about it.

I ain't even worried about fire particularly because even if the unthinkable happens, I keep my really important docs in a briefcase/dossier that I could grab and take with me. Not fool proof, but better than most peoples' plans. I could give copies to family members, but haven't done that yet.