PDA

View Full Version : Police Dept. has my guns.

xxsleepyxx
12-15-2009, 12:00 AM
My house was raided a few years ago and the cops searched my house and found legally licensed guns around the house. I've searched online for forms to obtain the firearms but they ask for detailed stuff and even basic stuff like the registration number and original purchased reciepts are gone. Is the any way of obtaining my weapons. If NOT.. then wtheck to they do with guns which are never claimed?

Iknownot
12-15-2009, 12:09 AM
If NOT.. then wtheck to they do with guns which are never claimed?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Babfam/crushing-guns-845.jpg

xxsleepyxx
12-15-2009, 12:15 AM
or maybe the plant it on someone during a bust

Lone_Gunman
12-15-2009, 12:16 AM
This happened a few years ago? you don't have the basics like serial number etc.? I think it's too late. Were they part of an ongoing investigation or anything? I'm pretty sure that since you didn't start the process of getting them returned ASAP after the incident that they are gone. I may be wrong though. Someone who knows better than me and has actual experience getting guns back from law enforcement agencies will be along to answer but maybe not till morning. It's late.

Seesm
12-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Bummer... So why did they come into your home like that?

Lone_Gunman
12-15-2009, 12:19 AM

Yeah. I was wondering the same thing.

xxsleepyxx
12-15-2009, 12:27 AM
because i'm black =(

Richie Caketown
12-15-2009, 12:28 AM

Yeah. I was wondering the same thing.

because i'm black =(

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

hands down one of the best responses i have seen in the 2A section

battleship
12-15-2009, 1:23 AM
Your not telling the hole story , how can anyone give you a reasonable answer based on the complete lack of info as to why they came into your home. And then decided to take your legal firearms. You now have us all wondering.

cbn620
12-15-2009, 1:44 AM
I'd like him to keep the "hole" story to himself, especially if that's what got him into this mess.

I don't know dude, call the agency that took them and see what's what. If they don't have any advice, you might waste some money on a lawyer but even then I don't know if they could help you considering you waited this long.

GrizzlyGuy
12-15-2009, 6:11 AM
Call or visit the police department and ask to speak to their property clerk. They should have a record of what they seized. If you don't get anywhere in doing that, then make a written request for information under the California Public Records Act (http://www.thefirstamendment.org/capra.html).

Since this happened a few years ago, there is a good chance that they have already been destroyed. But it wouldn't hurt to check.

Muzz
12-15-2009, 6:38 AM

hands down one of the best responses i have seen in the 2A section

I don't think he was kidding...

Curtis
12-15-2009, 6:48 AM
Contact the property clerk to obtain a full list of the property in custody. You may need to have a case number. You will need to fill out a LEGR (law enforcement gun release) form. You don't need any specific information on long guns for the LEGR. You will need very specific info for hand guns.

I would assume you will get lots of misinformation from the PD. Keep asking. The PD is required to notify you prior to destruction of your guns. And there is a specific amount of time between notice and when they can destroy property. Every notice I have seen has been incorrect. The DOJ will actually contact the PD to inform them of the proper time line, if needed. My experience is the clock stops as long as you are making an effort to recover your property.

I ran into the issue of needing a disposition of the case. The DA was required to sign off on the the case and release of the property. This ads another level of frustration and misinformation.

Good luck!!!

ChrisTKHarris
12-15-2009, 7:08 AM
"SWAT came into my house, disrespected my whole family because somebody narc'ed me out!"

http://www.toosoonjunior.com/johnny%20tran.jpeg

gun toting monkeyboy
12-15-2009, 7:41 AM
because i'm black =(
You don't need all that much information to get guns back from the police. You just need the DOJ clearence letter, which was less than $20 per handgun. I don't recall if I needed one to get the long gun back. I just went in to the sheriff's station, talked to them for 5 minutes, and used the information from them to get the guns back. Easy. Yes, it took a couple of months, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

-Mb

HowardW56
12-15-2009, 7:42 AM
My house was raided a few years ago and the cops searched my house and found legally licensed guns around the house. I've searched online for forms to obtain the firearms but they ask for detailed stuff and even basic stuff like the registration number and original purchased reciepts are gone. Is the any way of obtaining my weapons. If NOT.. then wtheck to they do with guns which are never claimed?

How long is a "few years ago"?

If the guns were legal, you can get a list of all firearms registered to you from the Department of Justice. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/AFSPrivateCitizen.pdf

If the guns are not claimed, and not needed for an active investigation or court case, they are usually melted down after a period of time....

freonr22
12-15-2009, 7:45 AM
tag

xxsleepyxx
12-15-2009, 7:47 AM
I am serious about the topic. The guns were seized because of my arrest. They are my fathers. They were bought in a different state and a LONG time ago that's why there are no records. As ENG417 said I don't have info on the handguns so i can't obtain them. I'm pretty sure my father got over this but i wanted to retrieve them for sentimental reasons and because they ARE OURS.

HowardW56
12-15-2009, 7:48 AM
I am serious about the topic. The guns were seized because of my arrest. They are my fathers. They were bought in a different state and a LONG time ago that's why there are no records. As ENG417 said I don't have info on the handguns so i can't obtain them. I'm pretty sure my father got over this but i wanted to retrieve them for sentimental reasons and because they ARE OURS.

WHEN DID IT HAPPEN?

xxsleepyxx
12-15-2009, 7:55 AM
2 years and some months. Yea, I think it's more of a hassle to obtain stuff from the police. I would think they would make it as HARD as possible...

dirtnap
12-15-2009, 8:01 AM
Easy MB, you sure are jumping down this guys throat with the troll this and troll that. Maybe he doesn't want the entire CG network to know what he was raided over.

El Gato
12-15-2009, 8:15 AM

the serial numbers should be on the police report...
obtain a copy.
then do the LEGR...

dirtnap
12-15-2009, 8:19 AM
obtain a copy.
then do the LEGR...

Your avitar creeps me the heck out!

Mikeinblack
12-15-2009, 9:49 AM
My house was raided a few years ago and the cops searched my house and found legally licensed guns around the house.

Legally licensed?

anthonyca
12-15-2009, 9:55 AM
obtain a copy.
then do the LEGR...

Have you ever tried to get a police report? I am not trying to be a smart @$$. I filled out PRA forms and still they wouldn't release the report.

erik
12-15-2009, 10:11 AM
... legally licensed guns ...

... bought in a different state and a LONG time ago that's why there are no records.

There seems to be some incongruity here, what do you mean by "licensed"?

... ARE OURS.
Are they yours, or are they your fathers?

AndrewMendez
12-15-2009, 10:12 AM
"SWAT came into my house, disrespected my whole family because somebody narc'ed me out!"

http://www.toosoonjunior.com/johnny%20tran.jpeg

:rofl:

SP1200
12-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Guys. Keep in mind. The Police can raid a house for so many reasons. Not even connected with the current person living there.

ChrisTKHarris
12-15-2009, 12:30 PM
:rofl:

Finally someone got it! :)

Purple K
12-15-2009, 12:34 PM
The "evidence" taken into custody would most likely have been documented. That document should have each weapon identified. Get a copy of the report.

Shane916
12-15-2009, 2:11 PM
Subsequent to the raid and your arrest, were you convicted of a crime? If so what crime were you convicted of?

Amacias805
12-15-2009, 2:54 PM
Are they yours, or are they your fathers?

It doesn't matter, unless they were RAWs... because he already said that none of them were hand guns. long guns can be transferred from parent to kids without any paperwork. so maybe they were his fathers, and then later his.

stormy_clothing
12-15-2009, 3:22 PM
why wait over 2 years to reclaim seized property - this thread smells like BS

trautert
12-15-2009, 4:05 PM
Actually, he said he doesn't have info on the handguns, so he can't get them back. Didn't say there weren't any handguns.

Saym14
12-15-2009, 5:02 PM
arrested and gone for two years?

Requiem
12-15-2009, 5:05 PM
this thread = fail.

Saym14
12-15-2009, 5:37 PM
this thread = fail.

agreed. I call BS. If they came into your home becuase of your race, you should get a good civil rights lawyer and your settlment should buy you more guns then you ever dreamed of.

hoffmang
12-15-2009, 6:25 PM
Please contact Oaklander (Kevin Thomason.) He's a lawyer and you can give him the background. Once he understands the situation CGF may be able to help directly or get you any information you need.

-Gene

Cokebottle
12-15-2009, 6:48 PM
why wait over 2 years to reclaim seized property - this thread smells like BS
Also given this:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=249566

Ya, it's a legitimate question, but does cast a bit of a cloud.

HotRails
12-15-2009, 7:06 PM
Also given this:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=249566

Ya, it's a legitimate question, but does cast a bit of a cloud.

Kinda like those guys with gang tats I saw at the MiWall booth asking if 7.62 would go through body armor...

matrix056
12-15-2009, 7:17 PM
I think the local PD has your guns for a good reason. Probation? Parole?

El Gato
12-15-2009, 7:37 PM
Have you ever tried to get a police report? I am not trying to be a smart @$$. I filled out PRA forms and still they wouldn't release the report.

as the subject of the report, he can obtain a copy...if they balk... talk to the Public Defenders office your lawyer etc...

Seesm
12-15-2009, 8:22 PM
I smell some fish....