PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Nevada, should I leave hi-cap magazines here?

tahoetime
12-14-2009, 8:08 PM
As I posted in another thread, I just moved my residence to Nevada. But I still have some of my firearms here in California, including my grandfathered high capacity magazines. Since I might move back here someday, and want to do competitions in California in the meantime, would it make sense to leave my grandfathered magazines in California? Also, I am thinking of leaving some firearms here with relatives, if that is legal.

This would allow me to come into California and use the high-cap magazines and firearms even though I am a Nevada resident.

If I move back to California in the future, assuming the law doesn't change, I believe that I would then be able to move back here and still be able to have the high capacity magazines as if I had always lived in California. Furthermore, if the laws become more restrictive, hopefully the firearms would be grandfathered in as well.

Does this make legal sense? I know that it might not make financial sense!

elrcastor
12-14-2009, 8:10 PM
As long as you had then in CA before 1/1/00, you can come and go with the mags as many times as you wish.

bwiese
12-14-2009, 8:17 PM
ElrCastor above is, as customary, correct.

As long as you possessed the hicap mags in CA - even for a microsecond - you're OK. You can move away and reenter CA with these particular hicap mags as often as you'd like.

Neither original residency, current residency nor continued residency is required. The only requirement is that *you* had the hicap mags *in California* on or before 12/31/1999.

zum
12-14-2009, 8:45 PM
wow! wait a sec!

my father has hi cap mags from when he use to own a colt ar-15 (1996) can i use them in my new ar-15 legally?

and if so how do i go about proving they are grandfathered down? do i have to show a sales receipt from pre-ban?

same with his mini-14 pre-ban? can we use his hi-cap mags? hes been under the impression that hes not allowed to use them so he never brings them plinking

sorry in advance for the hijack

SixPointEight
12-14-2009, 8:49 PM
They can't be transferred to you. And you can only use them if you have a featureless build I believe. Otherwise you'd be an unregistered assault rifle.

IrishPirate
12-14-2009, 8:50 PM
wow! wait a sec!

my father has hi cap mags from when he use to own a colt ar-15 (1996) can i use them in my new ar-15 legally?

and if so how do i go about proving they are grandfathered down? do i have to show a sales receipt from pre-ban?

same with his mini-14 pre-ban? can we use his hi-cap mags? hes been under the impression that hes not allowed to use them so he never brings them plinking

you father is the only one who can use them, unless they were given to you before the ban. Also, you can't use them in a new AR unless it's "featureless". there is no need for a sales receipt because there is no system of tracking them. Also, you can rebuild a pre-ban mag with brand new parts so your old mag might not even exist anymore! If the rifle is featureless and you had them before the ban, you can use them. but not eveyone knows that so expect a few funny looks and dont be surprised if a cop or two asks you some questions. remember: owned before the ban, and only used in a featureless rifle.

zum
12-14-2009, 9:03 PM
you father is the only one who can use them...[/B].

thanks a million EXACTLY what i was wanting to know! guess my father was right... ill have to wait to splurge on hi-caps on my next trip to NV

thanks again!!!

Seesm
12-14-2009, 9:16 PM
thanks a million EXACTLY what i was wanting to know! guess my father was right... ill have to wait to splurge on hi-caps on my next trip to NV

thanks again!!!

Ok but know you can only run those in NV and take them apart BEFORE you roll in Ca as they will then just be parts kits (maybe your Dad's rebuilds) But DO NOT run them in your featured or featureless build in the state of Ca as you did not own them prior to 1-1-2000 or (12-31-99)

IrishPirate
12-14-2009, 9:18 PM
^ +1

professorhard
12-14-2009, 9:23 PM
They can't be transferred to you. And you can only use them if you have a featureless build I believe. Otherwise you'd be an unregistered assault rifle.

Unless you are a LEO or otherwise exempt

tahoetime
12-15-2009, 8:45 AM
Thanks for the great information to my questions!