PDA

View Full Version : Moving from CA to NV. Selling my firearms here?

tahoetime
12-14-2009, 7:56 PM
I just moved my official residence to Nevada. I have not yet moved all my stuff, and some of my firearms are still in California. There are a few that I want to sell. Can I just sell them private party via Calguns and use a California FFL since they are physically present here in California, or am I going to have to take them to Nevada and then do a FFL to FFL transfer back into California?

Thanks!

cal3gunner
12-14-2009, 8:10 PM

blackrifle242
12-14-2009, 8:32 PM
I love NV. Wish my wife would let me move back.....with or without her. Nothing like Cash and Carry on Long Guns.....all this talk makes my bottom tingle.

cal3gunner
12-14-2009, 8:47 PM

randy
12-15-2009, 12:54 AM
Don't sell them is the easiest choice. What guns are you selling?

Cokebottle
12-15-2009, 12:57 AM
its cash and carry on handguns too
Is that only for PPT/FTF?
I thought the 10 day waiting period for handguns was federal?

Quiet
12-15-2009, 6:06 AM
Is that only for PPT/FTF?

10 day wait and mandatory use of a FFL dealer to transact a PPT is CA only.

It varies from state to state.

In NV, a private party transfer between two NV residents is cash & carry. No waiting period and no FFL dealer required.

Mitch
12-15-2009, 6:36 AM

Californians sure do get a warped view of how things are in the rest of the country.

Waiting periods are relatively unusual. Check out this chart:

http://www.nraila.org/media/misc/Compendium.htm

TakeFive
12-15-2009, 7:09 AM
If you have handguns for sale that are not on the DOJ "safe" list, those of us remaining in the ca prison would appreciate you doing PPT of them here before you move the guns to Nevada.

cal3gunner
12-15-2009, 8:30 AM

tahoetime
12-15-2009, 8:41 AM
If you have handguns for sale that are not on the DOJ "safe" list, those of us remaining in the ca prison would appreciate you doing PPT of them here before you move the guns to Nevada.

That is the case for some of them. For example, I know someone that wants my Colt Mustang. That is why I want to be sell them to Californian rather than non-Californians.

So, I can either do a PPT via a California FFL while they are still in California; OR I can do a PPT with FFL to FFL transfer back to California after I take them out of state?

cal3gunner
12-15-2009, 9:01 AM

Cokebottle
12-15-2009, 9:16 AM
So, I can either do a PPT via a California FFL while they are still in California; OR I can do a PPT with FFL to FFL transfer back to California after I take them out of state?
Before you leave.
I believe only CA residents can do a PPT and it has to be face to face. You can not mail it to a ffl for a transfer.
Correct.
Off-roster (other than C&R?) must be face to face between California residents. Even with a PPT between CA residents, if the gun is shipped to the purchaser's FFL, it is treated the same as an interstate transfer WRT roster and FFL fees, it's not treated as a PPT.
After you've left the state, as a non-resident, you can't come back into CA and initiate a FTF/PPT.

Ditto the above... if I had off-roster guns, I would absolutely PPT them out before leaving the state. Same for any AR or AK pistols.

tahoetime
12-16-2009, 3:29 PM
Darn, if I understand this correctly:

Since I have already become a Nevada resident, it is not possible for me to sell anything off-roster to a California resident?

Before you leave.

Correct.
Off-roster (other than C&R?) must be face to face between California residents. Even with a PPT between CA residents, if the gun is shipped to the purchaser's FFL, it is treated the same as an interstate transfer WRT roster and FFL fees, it's not treated as a PPT.
After you've left the state, as a non-resident, you can't come back into CA and initiate a FTF/PPT.

Ditto the above... if I had off-roster guns, I would absolutely PPT them out before leaving the state. Same for any AR or AK pistols.

Cokebottle
12-16-2009, 3:35 PM
Darn, if I understand this correctly:

Since I have already become a Nevada resident, it is not possible for me to sell anything off-roster to a California resident?
Ouch. You can sell them to an exempted person (primarily LEO).

How many legitimate guns did California lose? :(