PDA

View Full Version : Shipping ammo to CA

foxtrotuniformlima
12-14-2009, 1:23 PM
I need some help.

I'm trying to buy some shotgun shells from an out of state vendor and they will not ship to either my house or business. Both are in LA County but neither in LA City. I even tried my fathers house in OC but it was rejected too.

Is there any info on this? They say their shipper provided them a list of Zip Codes that they cannot ship to but so far it seems to me the list might be backwards.

Is there any online info regarding this ?

Thanks!

kf6tac
12-14-2009, 1:29 PM
I need some help.

I'm trying to buy some shotgun shells from an out of state vendor and they will not ship to either my house or business. Both are in LA County but neither in LA City. I even tried my fathers house in OC but it was rejected too.

Is there any info on this? They say their shipper provided them a list of Zip Codes that they cannot ship to but so far it seems to me the list might be backwards.

Is there any online info regarding this ?

Thanks!

Even if they're technically incorrect, I doubt you're going to be able to convince the shipper (who it seems is one additional degree of separation away from the seller) to change their company policy. Not to sound defeatist, but you're probably better off just finding a different seller. Most of these companies put their shipping policies in place to cover their own rears, and while they may be overly broad, most of them are pretty dead-set about them.

foxtrotuniformlima
12-14-2009, 1:31 PM
No shipping to LA county or the OC but if I put in a San Berdo address, it works.

Why ?

Purple K
12-14-2009, 1:35 PM
Local draconian laws and overly cautious shippers.... what a combination.

kf6tac
12-14-2009, 3:47 PM
No shipping to LA county or the OC but if I put in a San Berdo address, it works.

Why ?

Because it's neither LA County nor Orange County?

WileyWilly
12-14-2009, 3:58 PM
IIRC, it's been posted that if you make a web based order with an incorrect zipcode that is not in the supposed prohibited area, it will go through and the package will get to you-it might take a couple of extra days.

bodger
12-14-2009, 4:26 PM
I live in the City of Los Angeles and I run into this all the time. Midway, for example, won't ship any ammo to the City of Los Angeles. Or LA County if I recall.
Cabela's will, however. As soon as some of these vendors get a whiff of a local ordinance having to do with ammo sales, they spook and won't ship it to that locale.

Just find another vendor. I get shipments all the time to my Los Angeles zip code.
Here's the ordinance:
http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/2008/08-1403_ord_180447.pdf

I've read this ordinance many times, I've not seen anything in it that would apply to an ammunition seller that is outside of the Los Angeles city limits, nor any reference to it being illegal to order from and accept shipments from vendors outside of the city limits.

No more illegal than when I drive to Culver City, buy my ammo FTF w/o ID check or fingerprint, and drive it back into Los Angeles city.

Legal eagles may weigh in and correct me.
But for now, I buy a sheetload of ammo from out-of-state vendors and Mr. UPS drops it right off for me, adult sig required.

Cokebottle
12-14-2009, 4:34 PM

Why ?
Because the vendor does not understand the laws.

They assume that the Los Angeles ordinance restricts LA County.
Orange County is due to Orange County in either New York or New Jersey that has a similar ordinance. There's something like 12 or 15 "Orange Counties" in the US, and only one has an ammo restriction.

bodger
12-14-2009, 4:39 PM
I made a stink about it to Midway. I get their special promotion e-mails about ammo discounts, and then they refuse to ship to me, even though it is legal.

I complained and got to someone at a level of management, don't know how high, and he admitted that they know it isn't technically illegal, but their legal department put the freeze on it anyway.
Midway is a pretty big outfit. I wonder if they have a vendor relationship of some sort with LAPD.

Eff 'em, they lose my business, I buy elsewhere.

novabrian
12-14-2009, 9:34 PM
Just buy locally.

curtisfong
12-14-2009, 9:53 PM
Just buy locally.

Why do that when there are plenty of mail order sellers that aren't idiots?

bodger
12-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Internet ordering works for me. Locally is a PITA.

roadwarrior1971
12-14-2009, 11:16 PM
all the more reason to go to gunshows or stock up on anything and everything gun-related at walmart, etc. time to realize big stupid "changes" are coming. We ain't in kansas anymore.

foxtrotuniformlima
12-16-2009, 3:23 PM
I made a stink about it to Midway. I get their special promotion e-mails about ammo discounts, and then they refuse to ship to me, even though it is legal.

I complained and got to someone at a level of management, don't know how high, and he admitted that they know it isn't technically illegal, but their legal department put the freeze on it anyway.
Midway is a pretty big outfit. I wonder if they have a vendor relationship of some sort with LAPD.

Eff 'em, they lose my business, I buy elsewhere.

i ended up getting exactly what I wanted but at a higher price.

I'd like to get them in the future at the lower price.

How do I convince them that it is OK ? A letter from the DA ? My city manager ?

Cokebottle
12-16-2009, 3:34 PM
A letter from the DA might do it if you can get it to the right person.

bodger
12-16-2009, 3:40 PM
A letter from the DA might do it if you can get it to the right person.

i ended up getting exactly what I wanted but at a higher price.

I'd like to get them in the future at the lower price.

I don't know what would change these vendors' minds once they are spooked by a local ammo ordinance. Midway knows they can do it with impunity, but refuses to anyway. I smell politics on that one.

I doubt any DA in Los Angeles would write a letter stating that the local ordinance pertains solely to FTF purchases within the city limits. I don't know about other jurisdictions other than LA.

My guess is any DA here would sooner feed you FUD that it is illegal for the seller to ship here, but for now, they look the other way.
Of course, I'm sure they are confident that
AB962 will end all internet transactions anyway in February 2011.

Lyte-
12-16-2009, 3:59 PM

Why ?

Ship them to my house in Houston I'll take care of them for you :D

Glock22Fan
12-16-2009, 4:35 PM
Midway has never refused to ship to me, and I'm in L.A. County. Cabelas neither.

bodger
12-16-2009, 5:17 PM
Midway has never refused to ship to me, and I'm in L.A. County. Cabelas neither.

I've heard that from others. I live within the city limits of Los Angeles, and when I try to order ammo from Midway, my zip code kicks the order out. Cabelas will sell to LA city residents. A fact I pointed out to Midway, they still would not budge on their policy.

I have heard also that there are some companies that won't sip to LA County either, out of confusion or fear that the ordinance extends beyond the LA city limits.

I have never purchased ammo in Los Angeles proper since the law was passed. Why give my fingerprint and ID when I can go to Culver City or Redondo or whatever.
Hell, how many places are there left within Los Angeles where you can buy ammo anyway?