PDA

View Full Version : Fresno Bee CCW STORY!!!

crowbar1
12-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Sheriff Mims should run for President!!!!!

Sheriff's gun policy makes sense
Posted at 12:09 AM on Thursday, Dec. 10, 2009
By Bill McEwen / The Fresno Bee
The best gift for a law-abiding citizen this Christmas might be a concealed-weapons permit.

Even though Fresno police always are putting out press releases that claim crime is down, the city doesn't feel safe. Nor does it appear safe. Not on my side of town, at least. Not south of McKinley Avenue.

Look, there was a time when I believed that more guns led to more violence.

Now, in my gut, I have to agree with Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims. She says that a society is safer when responsible people bear arms.

"I think it's a good idea to keep the bad guys guessing so that they never know when they're coming up against a citizen who is carrying," Mims says.

Under California law, each sheriff can issue a concealed-weapons permit to anyone with a clean record who has "good cause." Some sheriffs are stingy with permits. Others, such as Mims, believe the permits should go to any eligible person.

For Mims, " 'Good cause' is, I can't put a deputy sheriff with every single citizen."

I don't have a gun and I've never applied for a permit to carry one. But this is going to change. In a city where no one is safe from the Bulldogs street gang, every responsible adult should think about carrying a gun.

Consider what happened this week at Palm and Belmont Avenues: Richard Hernandez, 27, married and the father of two children, was murdered at 6 o'clock in the morning.

Hernandez, a deliveryman for Valley Wide Beverage Co., simply was doing his job when, according to police, he was shot in the back for no apparent reason by Joey Jesse Lopez, also 27, a Bulldog gang-banger.

Understand: Hernandez wasn't robbed. There are animals on our streets who don't need a reason to kill other than that's what they want to do. The only thing they understand is the power of a gun, which is why it's best that honest people take up arms.

Advocates for strict gun control raise valid concerns about a proliferation of weapons leading to accidental shootings, particularly involving children. But permit-holders must pass background checks and gun-safety courses in which they are taught how to avoid mishaps. In the end, I think the benefits outweigh the risks.

Back in the mid-1990s, then-City Council Member Bob Lung proposed a revised gun ordinance that would grant a concealed-weapons permit to any applicant satisfying the state standard of "good moral character."

The idea was the talk of the town for several months, with anti-gun forces threatening lawsuits if Lung got his way. Eventually, the council passed a compromise version giving the police chief discretion to decide who received a permit.

But Mims attracted little media attention during her 2006 run for sheriff when she made it clear that it would be easier to get a concealed weapon permit if she were elected.

"But that was one of the first questions asked at every debate," Mims said. "People wanted to know about the permits."

And they still want to know.

Since she was sworn in three years ago, Mims' office has issued 1,134 carry permits, and there are now 2,786 active permits in Fresno County. As of 4 p.m. Tuesday, there were a total of 28,121 concealed weapons permits in force in California, according to the state Department of Justice -- meaning that Fresno County residents account for nearly 10% of the permit-holders.

Mims says that there was a logjam of applications early in her term. Her office, which conducts background checks for the permits, has since caught up with the demand. Get this: the sheriff keeps applications in her car for people who want to carry a concealed gun.

No wonder Mims was named "Outstanding Peace Officer of the Year" last month by the California Rifle and Pistol Association, an affiliate of the National Rifle Association.

Now, I don't agree with much of what the NRA advocates. For example, I can't think of a single reason anyone -- other than law enforcement -- needs an assault rifle.

But I believe in a person's right to defend himself. I believe, too, that an armed society is a polite society.

Sick Boy
12-14-2009, 12:54 PM
That is so awesome. If I hadn't lived on NAS Lemoore from 2004-2006, I might move down there just for the CCW.

But frak that, I can't stand the Armpit. lol

Seriously though, that's how CCWs in CA should work. If only she could head the CA DOJ and end all the madness!!

mif_slim
12-14-2009, 1:20 PM
I have a good cause. I will apply for one. :)

pat038536
12-14-2009, 4:16 PM
I have a good cause. I will apply for one. :)

I have good cause as well, it start out like this: "I want one." Unfortunately its not good enough cause for "the Man",

AbinSur
12-14-2009, 7:10 PM
That is a fantastic article. Madera Co. is similar in its issue policy. If you live in Fresno Co., you should put her to the test and apply ASAP.

yock
12-15-2009, 8:35 PM
I have been thinking of a "just cause" and don't know yet

mif_slim
12-15-2009, 9:01 PM
I carry large sums of money weekly, it's a good cause. Hehehe

yock
12-15-2009, 10:10 PM

That is one of the top reasons

Roadrunner
12-16-2009, 8:30 AM
Everyone should go to the NRA news website and listen to Cam Edwards interview with Sheriff Mims. She actually empathizes with the citizens of Fresno county.

Digital_Boy
12-16-2009, 8:36 AM

Apparently this "bulldogs" gang is known to shoot people for no apparent reason at all. Sounds like just cause to me, and Sheriff Mims too.

RGERBER
12-16-2009, 5:45 PM
I just got mine in mail yesterday, Mimms is great, I wonder if i should post my good cause statement?

crowbar1
12-16-2009, 7:44 PM
I just got mine in mail yesterday, Mimms is great, I wonder if i should post my good cause statement?

NO!!!!!

You don't want to do that. Don't take the risk of putting it on the internet.

Meeep
12-16-2009, 9:00 PM
It's called "personal protection"!!!!
It works for me.
Every two years:mad:
But just renewed...
I am good for two more! :)

RGERBER
12-17-2009, 5:34 AM
You mean every two years when I renew I have to give a good cause statement again?

Meeep
12-17-2009, 7:35 AM
You do in San Bernardino County
Also around $100.00 in fees to the sheriff and DOJ

Soldier415
12-17-2009, 7:42 AM
tag

RGERBER
12-17-2009, 8:46 AM
in Fresno County i have to renew every 2 years - but i do not think i need the good cause statement again

crowbar1
12-17-2009, 1:31 PM
You in fact, do NOT need to give a good cause statement when you renew in Fresno County. I have had a fresno CCW since 1999, and never needed to do it again.

stormy_clothing
12-17-2009, 4:28 PM
I don't understand if there is a gang with people that kill at random and there are members being arrested for it why is there no task force ?

Actually I was thinking why isn't there a frank castle

tatt00edangel
12-17-2009, 8:20 PM
I'm planning to apply for my ccw in Fresno, if I apply and my good cause isn't taken, do I lose my fee?

thatrogue
12-17-2009, 8:44 PM
I just put a new office and two recovery agents near McKinley in Fresno. This bulldogs gang is kinda making me worry about the safety of my guys a little bit.

RGERBER
12-18-2009, 5:46 AM
In Fresno County

The process is call for application, after they review your application, they call you to have face-to-face meeting.

Then if you are approved you go in second time to pays fee. And get finger printed.

Therefore, you will not pay unless you are approved.

mif_slim
12-18-2009, 8:34 AM
Apparently this "bulldogs" gang is known to shoot people for no apparent reason at all. Sounds like just cause to me, and Sheriff Mims too.

Yeah, didnt a guy get killed for no reason a week ago or something?

ddindetroit
12-31-2009, 8:35 PM
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/ddindetroit/bump5rm.gif

I know Sheriff Margie Mims and have talked to her on occasion. Her rank and file deputies feel supported by her as the Agency has been addressing the ongoing problem with violent crimes in the county with an ever shrinking budget. She came through the ranks from starting with Kerman PD and worked her way up the chain of command to be Sheriff.

I know it was a contentious election and I'm glad she's doing a wonderful job.

ddindetroit:)

RGERBER
01-01-2010, 9:28 AM
My friend just got is permit in Fresno County, no business or money or threats involved.

Be smart and take your time writing your statement, mention you are a law-abiding citizen with good moral character, and rational thinking. How long you have been in Fresno, that you are a veteran or sportsman, that you live or travel in highly populated gang active areas, any theft or damage you have experienced, you might travel in rural or distressed areas, physical disabilities, you are aware of accelerated gang activity and feel the need for personal and property protection. Your are responsible for your actions ect.

In my opinion if you have a clean record and not real young and have good moral character, and rational thinking you have a good shot at getting your CCW.

If you do not have a good record and you are of not good moral character, and rational thinking, I hope your do not get your CCW.

my 3 cents

yock
01-01-2010, 4:01 PM
This is all good info becouse I am going to apply for my Fresno CCW here in a few weeks me and a few guys I wook with are all going to apply at about the same time but we all have the same reasons why we want it and you may have the same but you can call and talk to the guys that are in charge and tell them your reasons and they may tell tou yes or no right there before you fill out the papers. But don't listen to me I haven't done mine yet.

RGERBER
01-01-2010, 4:16 PM
You need to call for the Application, then they will mail it.

Fill it out – along with the good cause statement . Then you call them back to set up the first appt.

yock
01-01-2010, 4:31 PM
You need to call for the Application, then they will mail it.

Fill it out along with the good cause statement . Then you call them back to set up the first appt.

Or if you type Fresno ccw in google click the first link and the aplacatiom is on the bottom of the page

RGERBER
01-01-2010, 5:13 PM
You can do that, but they have there procedure and you have to have the two appointments. you still have to call to find out what to fill in and what not to. unless the cover page is on there and current.

jamesob
01-01-2010, 6:21 PM
i have my ccw from tulare co. and for you guys in fresno your good cause is that you do not feel safe since crime is up in fresno. simple. i like mims

RGERBER
01-02-2010, 6:49 AM
Quote from Mims

For Mims, " 'Good cause' is, I can't put a deputy sheriff with every single citizen."

Sky_DiveR
01-04-2010, 1:07 PM
If only I still lived in Fresno... sigh!

A big thumbs up for Sheriff Mims. Wonder if she would like to run for sheriff in another county with better weather............... like Sacramento??!!

Maxwell663
01-05-2010, 10:12 AM
I wish it was that easy to get your CCW in San Luis Obispo county...

esnipe
01-08-2010, 7:06 PM
I don't understand if there is a gang with people that kill at random and there are members being arrested for it why is there no task force ?

There is. The bulldog gang no longer has the upperhand. They no longer flaunt their colors, or bark at cops. They are being targeted heavily and pushed hard. Now we are seeing an uprising of nortenos and surenos. But they too will be stomped out. We have an awesome Chief of Police (Dyer) and Sheriff (Mimms).

Joe
01-09-2010, 2:57 AM
Wow. This is awesome. Everyone in Fresno needs to apply immediately.

OliveCookieMonsta
01-17-2010, 10:57 AM
Applied, approved and waiting for permit in the mail!!! Sheriff Mimms is top notch for women everywhere not just with guns issues but with life issues, she is a true fighter.

Meplat
01-17-2010, 1:06 PM
Not 'just', 'good'.;)

Meplat
01-17-2010, 1:13 PM
They still need something to hang their hat on other than 'self defense".;)Apparently this "bulldogs" gang is known to shoot people for no apparent reason at all. Sounds like just cause to me, and Sheriff Mims too.

Meplat
01-17-2010, 1:39 PM
But be sure to include in your good cause statement that you would never use deadly force to protect your money, only your person. The money just makes you a target.;)

Meplat
01-17-2010, 1:47 PM

NO!

We don't need boiler plate GC statements floating around! Only give general advice.

Meplat
01-17-2010, 1:53 PM
Not in fresno. But you have to take refresher training $60 and pay a fee $77.

You mean every two years when I renew I have to give a good cause statement again?

Meplat
01-17-2010, 1:55 PM
There is.

Actually I was thinking why isn't there a frank castle

Meplat
01-17-2010, 2:00 PM
We need to be ready to support her big time come reelection time.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/ddindetroit/bump5rm.gif

I know Sheriff Margie Mims and have talked to her on occasion. Her rank and file deputies feel supported by her as the Agency has been addressing the ongoing problem with violent crimes in the county with an ever shrinking budget. She came through the ranks from starting with Kerman PD and worked her way up the chain of command to be Sheriff.

I know it was a contentious election and I'm glad she's doing a wonderful job.

ddindetroit:)

Meplat
01-17-2010, 2:06 PM
I would avoid property protection as GC except as to the extent that the property puts you at higher risk.;)

My friend just got is permit in Fresno County, no business or money or threats involved.

Be smart and take your time writing your statement, mention you are a law-abiding citizen with good moral character, and rational thinking. How long you have been in Fresno, that you are a veteran or sportsman, that you live or travel in highly populated gang active areas, any theft or damage you have experienced, you might travel in rural or distressed areas, physical disabilities, you are aware of accelerated gang activity and feel the need for personal and property protection. Your are responsible for your actions ect.

In my opinion if you have a clean record and not real young and have good moral character, and rational thinking you have a good shot at getting your CCW.

If you do not have a good record and you are of not good moral character, and rational thinking, I hope your do not get your CCW.

my 3 cents