PDA

View Full Version : LOOKING FOR CHEAPEST TRANSFER FEE IN THE BAY AREA

skiparooni
12-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Good morning, I'm currently looking for a ffl dealer with a fairly reasonable transfer fee. Weapon would be an in the state transfer , ca legal, gsg-5

ugimports
12-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Good morning, I'm currently looking for a ffl dealer with a fairly reasonable transfer fee. Weapon would be an in the state transfer , ca legal, gsg-5

Are you looking for the cheapest as your subject says or reasonable? We are not the cheapest, but charge reasonable fees:

$40 FFL Transfer Fee
$3.90 - tax on transfer fee
$25 for State DROS Fee
------------
$68.90 - total if no sales tax needs to be collected on firearm

If the person you are purchasing the firearm from completes a Personal Sale Statement (http://www.ugimports.com/docs/UGI_Personal_Sale.pdf) we do not need to collect CA Sales Tax on the firearm price.

Location is in Fremont, CA off of 880/Mowry Exit.

bombadillo
12-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Not bad! Thats actually one of the better prices i've heard of down there. Its 50 up here total $25 Transfer including tax and $25 dros but its 6 hours drive north too.

Argonaut
12-14-2009, 11:14 AM
I need someone too......My current guy charges 75.00 to 150.00 plus fees depending on the cost of the gun.

ronin16
12-14-2009, 12:15 PM
RMB Enterprises in Milpitas $65 for out of state transfers. He's a good guy

om221
12-14-2009, 12:27 PM
RMB Enterprises in Milpitas $65 for out of state transfers. He's a good guy

IS THAT INCLUDING DROS?

Tavern Keeper
12-14-2009, 3:56 PM
$50.00 in Manteca, includes DROS.

Lee Williams
Tunn Tavern Arms

220RR
12-14-2009, 4:49 PM
$70 city arms out of state transfer.

bombadillo
12-14-2009, 5:35 PM
I need someone too......My current guy charges 75.00 to 150.00 plus fees depending on the cost of the gun.

What kind of crap is that. Depending on the cost of the gun. I'm sorry its a fee regardless of how much you paid. Thats a bunch of garbage and somebody should turn him in for bad business practice. That is like saying that me as a man walks into a store and buys a pair of shoes. Then a woman comes in and those shoes double because its a woman. No, not a great analogy but you get what i'm saying. Thats just bad practice and you should out him so we won't go there.

TripleT
12-14-2009, 5:49 PM
If sales tax is included, then cost of the gun would make a difference...

bombadillo
12-14-2009, 5:57 PM
That makes no sense, if you're purchasing the gun from a 3rd party, then you paid them. It is up to you to pay tax right? They charge you the transfer fee and that should be a flat rate plus tax. Then you pay DROS to the state regardless.

skiparooni
12-14-2009, 7:26 PM
Thankyou to everyone who posted the helpful replies. I will keep you folks posted on the decision that I make, hope everyone gets her done

tenpercentfirearms
12-14-2009, 9:40 PM
Roger's Relics. Might not be the cheapest, but they are one of the best.

dpharley
01-02-2010, 8:47 PM
Kevin charges $50 for private party xfers. The tax doesn't have to be collected by the FFL, and Kevin will allow you to sign a waiver.

FFL Transfer
Kevin Smith
259 Morello Ave.
Martinez, CA 94553-3523
Ph: 925-229-2553

kemasa
01-03-2010, 7:07 AM
If the firearm comes from a business, then sales tax has to be collected. If it comes from a private party and you can get a letter stating that it is a private sale, an occasional sale and that they don't have a business, then no sales tax is collected, including on the FFL fee (just like a PPT).

The CA FFL is a CA business and has a resale permit. The CA BOE requires such a business to follow their rules/laws, even if it does not make sense. It is specifically written that the FFL is required to collect sales tax in certain cases. One issue is if the person pays for a firearm and the seller refuses to include a receipt, then how does the CA FFL know what sales tax to collect? That is not important to the CA BOE though.

See:

CA Sales Tax Firearms Information 495.0843, 495.0848 & 295.1675.600

http://www.boe.ca.gov/business/Vol2/suta-q-s.pdf
http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/annotations/pdf/295.1675.600.pdf

djbooya
01-03-2010, 10:18 AM
What kind of crap is that. Depending on the cost of the gun. I'm sorry its a fee regardless of how much you paid. Thats a bunch of garbage and somebody should turn him in for bad business practice. That is like saying that me as a man walks into a store and buys a pair of shoes. Then a woman comes in and those shoes double because its a woman. No, not a great analogy but you get what i'm saying. Thats just bad practice and you should out him so we won't go there.

I see the basis to price something on the cost of the firearm no different then a fee schedule like at Gun Broker. Or if the store said transfer fees are 8% of the cost of the firearm. Isn't it there choice on what fee schedule to use? How is that bad business practice if it doesn't comply with what you want it to be?

(rant)
I'm getting tired of these posts that put down businesses trying to make a living. Unless he's actually doing something illegal (which that particular business is not from the sounds of it) then why should we flame them and bring out the stakes and virtual pitchforks? All consumers have a choice and if he's the only guy in town then the consumers have the choice of whether or not they should become an FFL and can do a better job. I know of one FFL that had some bad experiences with a few guys in the Bay Area and recently started his own business because he DID feel he could do a better job. This is where capitalism works.
(/rant)

BTW here's the reference to gun broker fee schedules:
Final Value Fees
Final Bid of $0.01 to $25.00 = Amount x 5%
Final Bid of $25.01 to $1000 = ((Amount - 25) x 2.5%) + $1.25
Over $1000 = (Amount Over $1000 x 1.25%) + 25.63

It's a scale based on final value fees. Granted the cost goes down, but my point is that it's based on the selling price of the product.

stickle
01-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Let me tell you my experience...

Wanted a rifle I had purchased shipped into the Bay Area.

One Local Store wanted $150+DROS=$185

UG Imports $40+25+3(tax on service)=$68 and change!! Guess who I went with?????!!!!

UG Imports is a great guy who is a shooter himself. Treated me great. Kept me up to date with my shipment via email and reminded me when the DROS period was about up. I think I will be doing business with him again soon.

If you need a FFL in the Bay Area...check him out.

kazman
01-07-2010, 3:58 PM
Roger's Relics. Might not be the cheapest, but they are one of the best.
+1 on Roger's. If you're near the Santa Clara area they are great and one of the cheapest.

ucb
01-08-2010, 2:21 PM
Just did my first transfer with Roger's Relics. Very easy indeed