PDA

View Full Version : Recent Change of Address - Will I Fail DROS?

Uranium238
12-14-2009, 8:33 AM
I recently changed my address with the DMV as my Driver's License lists my old previous address in San Diego. It was done online, but I haven't received my new DL yet. I am going to buy a stripped lower receiver on Wednesday, but am worried I may be turned down because my place of residence is different. My voter and vehicle registration all match the current address I reside at, but my DL.

What will happen? Should I wait? I've been saving for a while to get an AR lower to finally start my build. I'll be bummed if I can't start the process this week. :(

shark92651
12-14-2009, 10:51 AM
You will be fine. Just take a utility bill in your name that shows your current address.

kf6tac
12-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Just as an FYI, don't expect to receive a new DL with your new address unless you also had to renew your DL. The DMV just makes you carry around your old license until it expires. Technically I think you're supposed to write your new address on a slip of paper and carry that around with your DL at all times.

Welcome to the 21st century, CA DMV :no:

a1c
12-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Just as an FYI, don't expect to receive a new DL with your new address unless you also had to renew your DL. The DMV just makes you carry around your old license until it expires. Technically I think you're supposed to write your new address on a slip of paper and carry that around with your DL at all times.

Welcome to the 21st century, CA DMV :no:

Yup, I got pulled over last year for speeding, and the officer asked me where was the DMV slip with my change of address. I remember doing the change of address with the DMV, but I never got a slip of paper. He insisted I should have had one. I didn't try to argue, figured maybe I did get one. Once I got home I looked for it everywhere, and sure enough, didn't find it (I'm very anal about paperwork and file everything in labeled folders, and to this day never lost any paperwork that way). I don't know what he was talking about. At least he didn't write me a fix-it ticket for that one - I had enough with a speeding ticket.

cadurand
12-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Just lose your DL/ID when you move and go get a new one with the correct address.

SixPointEight
12-14-2009, 11:47 AM
All I had to do was bring another bill etc that had my name and address on it. Though one time I was denied a gun because my legal name(on my license) is Joshua, and on the bill it was to Josh. The jerk at the counter(gigantic *****) said those were different names and couldn't sell me the gun.

I have a question along these lines too though. I know for vehicle registration they send you your renewal months ahead of time, I turn 21 in February and want to go DROS a handgun on my birthday, when will they send me my license renewal stuff? And will I have the card on my 21st?

Uranium238
12-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Thank you all for the replies. I was starting to get concerned here.

I don't have a utility bill though as I am not the home owner. The fiancee and I are staying at her Mom's since we are saving money up for a home. So far it's easier to find good gun shops than houses in the SF North Bay. But, I've got some credit card bills, bank statements, phone bill and car registration. Too bad a Homeland Sec officer can't attest to your address... Ah well. Wish me luck! :D

Luieburger
12-14-2009, 2:15 PM
I got myself a Christmas present at Reed's in San Jose 10 days ago and they just said to bring in a current vehicle registration since my ID address was different. Thankfully I just renewed in November. :D Picking up an M&P9 tomorrow evening. :D Not sure if all stores operate that way.

Uranium238
12-14-2009, 2:26 PM
That is awesome. The lower is a present from my Fiancee. Mom & Dad are proud. :D

bigcalidave
12-14-2009, 4:43 PM
Write your address on the back of your drivers license. Where it says "address change"