PDA

View Full Version : When Seconds Count, Police Are Only Minutes Away... Again.

sb_pete
12-14-2009, 1:32 AM
This is a horrible and tragic story, but I think it should give us all pause for thought about why we say that expression above.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-venice-stabbing11-2009dec11,0,6143250.story
latimes.com
Venice landlord describes attack on victim of rape-slaying
Drawn by noise, the man tried to stop the assault on the pregnant woman. A 22-year-old suspect is arrested.

By Andrew Blankstein and Robert Faturechi

December 11, 2009
Click here to find out more!

Arnold Springer, the landlord of a small apartment complex a block from Venice's trendy Abbot Kinney Boulevard, was sitting in his bedroom Tuesday night when he began to hear noises.

First a rustling sound he thought might be a raccoon, then a high-pitched squeal. Finally, an unmistakable human scream that had him out the door with a flashlight to investigate.

What he saw horrified him.

Peering into the window of his neighbor, a 38-year-old woman who was four months pregnant with twins, he saw a man raping her as she screamed for help.

"I saw him and she was screaming, 'Don't do that,' " he recalled Thursday. "He was on top of her. . . . I didn't see if he had anything in his hands. I only saw his upper torso. I shouted at him. I said, 'Stop it. . . . Stop it right now. Stop it, I'm going to call the police.' "

Springer said he pounded his flashlight on the barred window in an attempt to stop the assault before running home to call authorities. The assailant continued his attack, not even looking up at Springer, he said.

A few minutes later, LAPD officers arrived and found Eun Kang stabbed to death, and the alleged attacker, a 22-year-old man, standing in her apartment.

Prosecutors on Thursday charged Boneetio Kentro Washington with three counts of capital murder with the special circumstances of multiple murders, murder during a rape and murder during a burglary. He also is charged with one count of rape and one count of sexual penetration.

Detectives are still trying to piece together what happened, but they believe that it was a random attack and that Kang did not know Washington. Court documents show that Washington had served time in a state mental facility earlier this year.

" 'Sickening' is the term that immediately comes to mind," said Jim McDonnell, LAPD chief of detectives. "This suspect had no value for the sanctity of human life for the victim or her unborn children."

Kang's death was met with shock both in her Venice neighborhood and in Beverly Hills, where she owned a dry-cleaning business.

Santiago Ortiz, 62, a welder who used to live in the complex and still does work on the duplex, said he was shocked when he heard the news.

He said Kang lived alone and would always say hello.

"She was very nice, a very nice lady. Friendly, smiled, talked very little but was very nice," Ortiz said. "This is terrible."

Nearby stood a makeshift memorial replete with a Buddha figurine, flowering succulents and a printed note promising "we will always remember Eun Kang."

"Remembering her this way feels right. Her spirit is here," Springer said. "She wouldn't hurt a fly. She's a wonderful person . . . honest, decent, vivacious. It's incredibly crazy what this man did."

Washington had previous arrests for burglary and trespassing in Santa Monica and Los Angeles and misdemeanor trespassing arrests in Rhode Island and North Carolina. But nothing in his past appeared to show a predisposition to the kind of violence that occurred in the Venice slaying, according to sources familiar with the case who asked not to be identified because the investigation was continuing.

Court records show that Washington previously pleaded no contest to one count of residential burglary that was committed in Los Angeles in December 2008. The case was delayed after a doctor testified that Washington was not mentally competent to stand trial. Washington was committed to Patton State Hospital in San Bernardino County on July 7.

On Sept. 18, Washington returned to court with a certification from the facility that he was mentally able to stand trial.

He pleaded no contest to first-degree residential burglary and was placed on formal probation before his release from custody for previous time served and credit for work and good behavior.

andrew.blankstein@latimes.com

robert.faturechi@latimes.com

Times staff writers My-Thuan Tran and Robert J. Lopez contributed to this report.

Copyright 2009, The Los Angeles Times

The attack was random. The police were called. They got there and arrested the perp. The victim is still dead along with her unborn twins.

The larger tragedy to my mind is the society that allows such events to transpire.

The police can't be everywhere all the time. Sir Robert Peel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Robert_Peel)(the founder of the modern police force) once somewhat famously said that, "...the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent upon every citizen." As Californians and Americans we are not legally bound (and indeed are advised against) stopping a crime in progress. I was not there and do not know what that landlord or other neighbors saw, heard, or felt. That said, I find it sickening that the paper makes no attempt to answer the question of why the landlord or neighbors failed to intervene. Sir Robert Peel is dead. So, it seems, is his sentiment...

-Pete

ggod408
12-14-2009, 2:37 AM
Sad & tragic story! I grew up in Venice too! 18 years off of Indiana St. I'm pretty sure this is a double post though! Still, I have family nearby there! Glad I take my sister shooting when I visit! Even my mom wants to learn now...and she's almost 60! I love that!

cbn620
12-14-2009, 3:10 AM
If the landlord would have kicked that door open with a 12 gauge, she might still be alive today.

If I ever have to shoot a rapist in my life, I dedicate the 9 pellets of 00 buck shot I put into them to Eun Kang's memory.

eljBRD
12-14-2009, 7:00 AM
Very well said...too bad the story might repeat itslef in prison for him...:D
If the landlord would have kicked that door open with a 12 gauge, she might still be alive today.

If I ever have to shoot a rapist in my life, I dedicate the 9 pellets of 00 buck shot I put into them to Eun Kang's memory.

Southwest Chuck
12-14-2009, 7:09 AM
Very Tragic and all the more reason this needs to be done. People are dying out there. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=246919

The Director
12-14-2009, 7:43 AM
I respect the landlord as a man who took action, and at least the perp is in custody because of it. Still, your only recourse being banging on the window with a flashlight and calling the cops is pretty weak.

aermotor
12-14-2009, 10:47 AM
The sad thing about this all is that if the landlord shot the guy and killed him, he'd be on trial and screwed most likely. No one stops to think what the consequences could have been if he didn't shoot; ie 3 people dead in this case. I'd really like to believe in "the system" and that it actually works when honest people stop acts like this, but I just can't; I think it's this same fear that stops people from intervening. Not that I would not take action in a case like, there are many things you can do beside shooting someone.

That's really just a sad story ffs.

M. Sage
12-14-2009, 10:54 AM

If I ever have to shoot a rapist in my life, I dedicate the first 9 pellets of 00 buck shot I put into them to Eun Kang's memory.

Fixed it for you. I've got zero love for rapists and would probably empty whatever I have into the bastard over and over... then go to the store, get more ammo and do it all over again.

Theseus
12-14-2009, 11:33 AM
The sad thing about this all is that if the landlord shot the guy and killed him, he'd be on trial and screwed most likely. No one stops to think what the consequences could have been if he didn't shoot; ie 3 people dead in this case. I'd really like to believe in "the system" and that it actually works when honest people stop acts like this, but I just can't; I think it's this same fear that stops people from intervening. Not that I would not take action in a case like, there are many things you can do beside shooting someone.

That's really just a sad story ffs.

Although California is bad, I don't think this would be the case. Even in the LA area I think where the felon used a neighbors gun to shoot her attacker the DA didn't press charges against him "in the interest of justice".

Even the DA's in California are not that ridiculous.

Peaceful John
12-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Aermoter wrote: "The sad thing about this all is that if the landlord shot the guy and killed him, he'd be on trial and screwed most likely."

After dinner one evening, several of us were sitting about discussing this very thing. One of the guests -- don't remember who he was, as I never saw him again -- observed (paraphrased): Most folks are so opposed to guns that they don't even have one to protect themselves. Why should we (i.e., the gunowners) care more for them then they do for themselves?"

With the after action burden imposed on even a rightous shoot, that question becomes even more important, I'm afraid.

bballwizard05
12-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Although California is bad, I don't think this would be the case. Even in the LA area I think where the felon used a neighbors gun to shoot her attacker the DA didn't press charges against him "in the interest of justice".

Even the DA's in California are not that ridiculous.

I agree, if I cant come to the honest aid of someone being raped! then I no longer live in a free country and may as well live in prison anyways... for living in a "free country" and not being able to defend my fellow law abiding citizens is no freedom at all...

Gio
12-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Wow that is hella sad, I hope that guy rots in hell for this. Knowing that is has been in a Mental Hospital before does not make me feel any better. Guy is more then likely going to end up in another Mental Facility and walk away in a few years :rolleyes:

Rest in Peace Ms. Eun Kang and her 2 Little Angels that never got a chance to be with us :(

-Gio

M. Sage
12-14-2009, 1:30 PM
Aermoter wrote: "The sad thing about this all is that if the landlord shot the guy and killed him, he'd be on trial and screwed most likely."

After dinner one evening, several of us were sitting about discussing this very thing. One of the guests -- don't remember who he was, as I never saw him again -- observed (paraphrased): Most folks are so opposed to guns that they don't even have one to protect themselves. Why should we (i.e., the gunowners) care more for them then they do for themselves?"

With the after action burden imposed on even a rightous shoot, that question becomes even more important, I'm afraid.

Edmund Burke disagrees with your sentiment. ;)

Quser.619
12-14-2009, 6:17 PM
How much you want to bet that the rapist/murderer has a prior record. The reason we need to ability to protect ourselves isn't always because there are sick people out there, but that there are sick people who never seem to be punished until their actions escalate.

supersonic
12-14-2009, 7:17 PM

Yeah, and in this F**KING state, he would be locked up right now facing murder charges and faces losing everything he owns...........Great friggin' world we live in, huh?:mad:

Sutcliffe
12-14-2009, 8:23 PM
That's the most galling thing about the whole tragedy. This state has been actively disarming the populace for the last five decades and seem to have achieved their goal. Our police forces get bigger, more intrusive into our lives and demand more and more resources and this is what we get? A pizza delivery will get to your faster in many communities than an emergency police response.

M. Sage
12-14-2009, 9:34 PM
Yeah, and in this F**KING state, he would be locked up right now facing murder charges and faces losing everything he owns...........Great friggin' world we live in, huh?:mad:

And that would stop you?

aermotor
12-14-2009, 11:29 PM
It wouldn't stop me at all, but it makes you think twice.

Seesm
12-15-2009, 12:25 AM
I would NOT at all have thought twice... girl would be alive... I mean if that guy got in why could the guy who called the cops and banged on the window? But did I read it right (below)

quoted:

On Sept. 18, Washington returned to court with a certification from the facility that he was mentally able to stand trial.

He pleaded no contest to first-degree residential burglary and was placed on formal probation before his release from custody for previous time served and credit for work and good behavior.

End quote: (so he is OUT now?) WTF?

supersonic
12-15-2009, 7:34 AM
And that would stop you?

I'm speaking from personal experience here, Sage. And no, it didn't stop me. But what happened in the aftermath just about took even the shirt off my back & almost killed me (I've had severe hypertension ever since & have to take 2 blood pressure meds (Atenelol & Benzaperil) per/24 hrs. ever since). So, to answer your question again: NO, it wouldn't stop me,,,,,,even again. The judicial system, however unfortunate, seems to coddle the scum & demonize the good citizen just doing what is right. And I repeat: "Great friggin' world we live in, huh?"

limitdown
04-24-2010, 11:19 PM
And no, it didn't stop me. But what happened in the aftermath just about took even the shirt off my back & almost killed me

Criminals need to be protected and law-abiding citizens need to pay for that protection.....:mad:

Glock-matic
04-24-2010, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't shoot him, I would take the largest knife I had to protect myself when I call the police, then said he jumped me, in the ensuing struggle, his manhood inexplicably fell to the floor. Parole for rapists is most effective when preceded by castration.

CCWFacts
04-24-2010, 11:29 PM
I remember that incident well. I'm not far from there. What a tragedy.

Stop it, I'm going to call the police

The most impotent words a criminal can ever hear. Criminals by definition are people who don't think about the consequences of their actions, or their own futures.

What a tragedy. If she had had a gun, or if the landlord or a neighbor had had a gun, the ending would be not so tragic.

Of course the gun-banning leadership here in CA is completely ok with these types of outcome. At least no one got shot!

limitdown
04-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Of course the gun-banning leadership here in CA is completely ok with these types of outcome. At least no one got shot!

If the perp was shot, then it would probably be classified as a "gun crime".....and the anti-gunners would jump all over this....
:mad:

11011500a
04-25-2010, 12:16 AM
If I looked out my window and saw that dude on top of her, batter up. I would have swung that bat like a golf club at his ankle, and when he lifted off of her, I'd swing with all my might to his chest/back/shoulder/as many times as it takes until he is no longer a threat, three hots and a cot poor mans retirement. Ammo is expensive!

nk-1911
04-25-2010, 12:17 AM
If the perp was shot, then it would probably be classified as a "gun crime".....and the anti-gunners would jump all over this....

That's depressing but I think you are right.

NorCalMama
04-25-2010, 12:30 AM
Wow that is hella sad, I hope that guy rots in hell for this. Knowing that is has been in a Mental Hospital before does not make me feel any better. Guy is more then likely going to end up in another Mental Facility and walk away in a few years :rolleyes:

Rest in Peace Ms. Eun Kang and her 2 Little Angels that never got a chance to be with us :(

-Gio

Completely agree :( What an avoidable tragedy.... it's one of those "if only" scenarios that reinforces why I'm so adament about the 2nd Amendment and owning firearms.

TenSeven
04-25-2010, 1:04 AM
... I was not there and do not know what that landlord or other neighbors saw, heard, or felt. That said, I find it sickening that the paper makes no attempt to answer the question of why the landlord or neighbors failed to intervene. Sir Robert Peel is dead. So, it seems, is his sentiment...

The police are not to blame. Blame the LAWYERS and our elected lawmakers.

goathead
04-25-2010, 1:57 AM
sad

Stealth
04-25-2010, 3:01 AM
Sad story :(

CA Law lets you out of fear of other people's lives step in and do self-defense. The call just wasn't enough. Crime doesn't wait for the Law to show up.

Stealth
04-25-2010, 3:10 AM

eh, let's not blame lawyers. Many of them work hard to fight the laws and get back our rights taken away by some of the lawmakers.

Lawyers - very educated on the law and battle for our rights on a daily basis.

Politicians - not always educated on matters and many make emotional laws that take away our rights. (Although we do have some good ones in the state they just don't out number the others).

Pixs
04-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Hi Folks,

The OP got me thinking about a couple of things: How did the BG get in? and Where was the manager's pass key?

There is either a really bad investigation or a very bad reporting of the incident.

Many books have been written about LEOs and the work they do; bottom line, they are doing a job with specific instructions on how to do it. Lawyers also have rules to follow as do judges. As everyone knows, no matter what discipline that a career path leads all of us, not all of our fellow co-workers are 100% effective at their job for various reasons but they get by.

The rule makers, in this case, the legislators and executive of a political subdivision, have the same situation to deal with. They also do not posses the same level of talent or knowledge. From my experience, most of them have only one thought in their heads, how do I satisfy the majority of my constituents or exploit their fears to get attention for myself. It is a common practice to deceive either by direct lying or presenting half truths in all the mentioned professions, including reporters. We all have agendas.

Ms. Eun Kang is the real looser here. Next in line is our society, that's all of us. I have no problem with executing anyone who is clearly guilty. No defense is valid for what happened and neither is an excuse.

Best to all,

Pixs

Dark Paladin
04-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Lawyers also have rules to follow as do judges. As everyone knows, no matter what discipline that a career path leads all of us, not all of our fellow co-workers are 100% effective HONEST at their job for various reasons but they get by.

I have to disagree with you by stating the following examples:

1. LA Gun Unit raid on Phillip Dominguez's family after being released from the LAX checkpoint

2. Passage of AB962 by the Public Safety Committee, CA Legislature, and signed by the Governator himself, despite public opposition to such a useless waste of time and resources

3. False arrest of Ben Cannon just last month, with evidence proving factual innocence being withheld by the DA. . . unless doing so is part of the "rules to follow"

Frankly, the fact that our "public servants" are active everyday in trying to reduce our rights is downright sickening, and no excuses can acquit them of such guilt. Our only saving grace is that not all of them do this, but unfortunately they are way outnumbered by those that do.

CCWFacts
04-25-2010, 11:45 AM

The police get equal blame with our lawmakers. Why doesn't LAPD issue CCWs? And beyond that, why do the police brass at LAPD, LASO, and the police unions, and the chiefs' association, all actively lobby against CCW reform, and for any kind of wacko gun control you can dream up? Why are there always high-ups from various police depts. always ready to come and testify (lie) to the Public Safety Committee about this that and the other insane gun law? Why is there such willingness, from top to bottom, within depts to lie about liability as a reason for not issuing? I realize that many / most "working cops" are sympathetic to victims like this, but why do they let their elected union reps take the positions they take?

Yes, I know this incident happened in a residence, but the fact is, without CCWs, people are unlikely to have guns available (ie, on their person). With a CCW, either the landlord or the victim would have had a chance of having a gun on them. The victim, in particular, operated a dry cleaning business and probably handled a fair amount of cash, and would have been a good candidate for a CCW. On top of that, a single woman living alone in Venice. To me, that's good cause. To LAPD, that's justification to raise taxes and hire more officers, which would have done nothing, but not to issue a CCW.

It might not be a gun crime but if they could prove that this guy had been stalking her, it would go into the "guns are X times more likely to be used on someone you know..." Yeah, like a stalker, or the neighbor's teenage thug.

Frankly, the fact that our "public servants" are active everyday in trying to reduce our rights is downright sickening, and no excuses can acquit them of such guilt. Our only saving grace is that not all of them do this, but unfortunately they are way outnumbered by those that do.

Good examples, Dark Paladin, and I agree with you. Why is there an LAPD gun unit, which devotes limited time and resources to busting gun owners over meaningless technical violations ("he's got a flash hider! get the SWAT team!!")?

If police union leaders would take a consistent stand of demanding CCW reform, and if police depts. like LAPD would take a consistent stand of making technical firearms violations a non-priority, and would denounce nonsense like gun buybacks, and would refuse to lie to the Public Safety Committee, then I would say that the police are doing everything they can to protect people like this victim. But alas, it's not the case.

Trendkill
04-25-2010, 9:21 PM
What it should have said.....

"First a rustling sound he thought might be a raccoon, then a high-pitched squeal. Finally, an unmistakable human scream that had him out the door with a flashlight and a 12 gaugeto investigate.

What he saw horrified him and caused him to turn the bad guy into frappe'.