PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a CCW?

Write Winger
12-13-2009, 9:08 PM
After reading that Fresno story regarding CCW permits and their pro-2A sheriff, I was just wondering if any of you had a permit, wherever you might be in CA. Anybody happen to have dealt with the Modesto area trying to get a permit? If so, what was your response?

gotgunz
12-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Yes

N/A/

bigfrank
12-13-2009, 10:29 PM
I have one too, but I live in a really gun friendly county (Tehama)

not4un
12-14-2009, 1:23 AM
Yes I have one but I live in Mariposa County....I used to live in Stanislaus County and had one then too. Do you live in the city limits of Modesto? If so you would have to try applying at MPD 1st and good luck they don't issue to very many. If you live in the county then have to go thru the S.O. Also check out calccw.com there are lots of people who will point you in the right direction.

tenpercentfirearms
12-14-2009, 5:36 AM
Member of the Kern County CCW club since 2000.

boats1
12-14-2009, 5:54 AM
Amador County CCW since 1993. Not familiar with Modesto.

Jerry1949
12-14-2009, 6:36 AM
I live in Fresno county and I have backed Mimms since the day I first heard her speak during her campaign. She's a squared away sheriff and has no qualms about our rights to CCW and she knows that NO LEO agency can be everywhere at once and pursuant to that, wants all citizens of her county to be self reliant when it comes to protecting themselves and their families. That probably went way beyond what you wanted to know, but I had'ta say it anyway.

BTW. I live in Coalinga and I have had a CCW since early 2000 and it was issued through the local PD....... another squared away LEO agency.

Legasat
12-14-2009, 7:27 AM
I live in San Diego County. I don't contribute $100,000 every year to my "favorite" politician or Sheriff, I do not own a business, and I am not a high profile actor. So my chances are 0.0000001% of getting a CCW.

not-fishing
12-14-2009, 7:53 AM
Utah CCW yes.

Sacramento County is a Will-Never Issue County

Afmo
12-14-2009, 8:03 AM
Butte County CCW since 07.

no experience with anywhere else....

Purple K
12-14-2009, 9:09 AM
No, I don't yet have a CCW. Interestingly enough, I met with Solano County Supervisor Mike Reagan last Monday to discuss the Riverside County Supervisors resolution about CCW "good cause". Mike stated that he and one other Sup. would support such a measure but that they would be the minority. He did share with me that the local Sheriff OFFERED CCW's to the board. What hypocrits!!! As if their lives are more important than ours.....

Write Winger
12-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Yes I have one but I live in Mariposa County....I used to live in Stanislaus County and had one then too. Do you live in the city limits of Modesto? If so you would have to try applying at MPD 1st and good luck they don't issue to very many. If you live in the county then have to go thru the S.O. Also check out calccw.com there are lots of people who will point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the info. I live in Riverbank, which is Stanislaus County, but I work in downtown Modesto along the river by 9th st (and no, not as a male prostitute or pimp... if you know the area, you'll know what I'm talking about).

A gas station / liquor store that co-workers and I visit often was robbed and the attendant was shot and killed at 3:15 in the afternoon. We knew this guy. This is not a safe area and it's jurisdiction is questionable, so I need a way to protect myself. I get here before sun up, and leave sometimes after sun down... not that it matters much if this guy was killed at 3:15pm.

Again, thanks for the info. So, maybe talk to the county sheriff?

not4un
12-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Yes you will need to apply at the S/O and yes I know the area you talk about. Your best bet before you even think about doing it is get on Calccw.com and read the info on the forums. Send a PM to CCWinstructor w/your good cause statement and he will look it over. Don't post your good cause on a forum itself.

.22guy
12-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Yep, have a Kern county permit.

stom_m3
12-14-2009, 12:16 PM
I live in San Diego County. I don't contribute $100,000 every year to my "favorite" politician or Sheriff, I do not own a business, and I am not a high profile actor. So my chances are 0.0000001% of getting a CCW.

Vote at the 2010 elections for Sheriff. Right now, Gore is anti-CCW but LaSuer and Duffy are pro-CCW. Get out there and vote. I will be. I like LaSuer but Duffy is in the lead. I hope one candidate doesn't take away votes from the other. That said, I will vote for whoever is leading the Sheriff's election between LaSuer and Duffy.

steven

EDIT: That would be 2010 elections for San Diego county Sheriff.

Roadrunner
12-14-2009, 12:28 PM
I've never applied in Stanislaus county for one, so I have no clue if I would be denied.

Fjold
12-14-2009, 4:55 PM
Kern County

Hogxtz
12-14-2009, 5:03 PM
4 year permit, El Dorado County.

Rem222
12-14-2009, 6:17 PM
You folks that live in a county that issues CCWs are sure lucky. Contra Costa is a No-No...

I do have.. NV-OR-WA-UT....

GrizzlyGuy
12-14-2009, 6:33 PM
No. I live in a place where it is fairly easy to get one, but I object to them on principle: I shouldn't have to turn over reams of personal information and beg permission from the government to exercise a natural right. Besides, I'm a rifle/shotgun kind of guy so I'd never bother carrying such an ineffective weapon. :p :gunsmilie:

Big Jake
12-14-2009, 6:35 PM
4 year permit, El Dorado County.

You must be reserve LEO as 4 year permits usually reserved for them!

retired
12-14-2009, 6:47 PM
I have a 5yr one from my former dept. and really feel bad that more of you can't obtain one. I also have the HR218.

nhanson
12-14-2009, 7:34 PM
Kern County CCW club.....joined in 2005!

EBR Works
12-14-2009, 7:43 PM
Ventura County issued mine exactly 2 months ago. It was an 11 month wait.....

Hogxtz
12-14-2009, 11:09 PM
You must be reserve LEO as 4 year permits usually reserved for them!

I was a reserve 25 years ago but not anymore. I am currently a non-sworn employee and several years ago our union got a bill sponsored that made it possible for our permits to piggy back on the reserve deputy 4 year permit providing the applicant had completed the 832PC firearms class and also meet the other state law requirments.

I only wish that all permits were issued this way, because folks that meet the current requirements are the most law abiding, responsible citizens anyways.

Lone_Gunman
12-14-2009, 11:42 PM
I don't have one. I want one but I live in Sacramento County. I do live in the city of Galt. I'm not sure what their issue policy is. I wonder if they just defer to the Sac County Sheriff. I do have a friend who has some contacts in the Galt PD. I guess I better ask him now that I'm going to be buying a hand gun soon.

HAVOC5150
12-14-2009, 11:45 PM
No, I don't yet have a CCW. Interestingly enough, I met with Solano County Supervisor Mike Reagan last Monday to discuss the Riverside County Supervisors resolution about CCW "good cause". Mike stated that he and one other Sup. would support such a measure but that they would be the minority. He did share with me that the local Sheriff OFFERED CCW's to the board. What hypocrits!!! As if their lives are more important than ours.....

Interestingly enough, the Solano Co Sheriff didn't even give its Correctional Officers CCW til 2003 when Gary Stanton was elected and those guys and gals pretty much live with the criminals.

I see why they offer CCW's to the board of Sups, pure politics. Solano Co. Board of Supervisor majority are left wing and several of them are big time hypocrites.

I recently met a guy that had a CCW issued by the Sheriff and he is in no way associated with LE, he carries a Kimber something that Deputies and CO's can't carry unless they are on the SWAT team. I give Gary Stanton (Sheriff) his kudo's he has probably done more for his troops than any Sheriff in the past from what I hear from friends that work there.

But your right your chance of getting a CCW in Solano CO. are slim to none. The Sheriff's office is still your best chance at a CCW though.

Even Vallejo's Chief as pro gun as he is, even with all there layoffs and skyrocketing crime rate and lack of response to crimes, still won't issue CCW's.

Thrillbilly
12-15-2009, 7:23 AM
When I used to live in CA I had one in Kern Co. Now I have one in Idaho.

DParker
12-15-2009, 7:43 AM
Wife and I each have CCW from Madera County. Also Utah non-resident.

Ivanhoe
12-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Tulare Co. since 1994

SteveH
12-17-2009, 2:12 PM
Yes. Since 1993 in two states.

Cougar
12-17-2009, 2:41 PM

glockman19
12-17-2009, 2:42 PM
YES in Utah & Florida and 31 other states but not here.

hardway
12-17-2009, 8:09 PM
The wife and I both have one through Stanislaus. Go to calccw.com like suggested, do some research on the process, and then go for it. Sheriff Christansen is'nt as bad as some think on ccw.

sseric75
12-17-2009, 9:41 PM
California, Utah, and Florida for 4 years now