PDA

View Full Version : Bay Area CalGunner Needs FFL for PPT

GraveTrain
12-12-2009, 4:35 PM
Hey -

I live in the Bay Area and am looking for an FFL in the Bay Area that will help me with a PPT of a California Compliant AR from a NorCal seller.

It already has a BB installed and comes with 10/30 mags. If anyone has experience with a local FFL that will handle such a transaction, I would be eternally grateful.

TIA.

Stan

GraveTrain
12-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Comeon' guys, anyone got a lead for a brother in need? :(

This isn't a taboo topic is it?

HonorThe2nd
12-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Rogers Relics, if you don't mind driving down to Santa Clara.

ugimports
12-13-2009, 1:24 AM
Hey -

I live in the Bay Area and am looking for an FFL in the Bay Area that will help me with a PPT of a California Compliant AR from a NorCal seller.

It already has a BB installed and comes with 10/30 mags. If anyone has experience with a local FFL that will handle such a transaction, I would be eternally grateful.

TIA.

Stan

We can do it for you over here in Fremont. Shoot us an email at sales@ugimports.com to make an appointment and we'll get you taken care of.

dachan
12-13-2009, 8:42 AM
Bottomline is that any licensed CA dealer is bound by law to perform legal PPT transactions for a total cost of no more than $35. You may give some consideration to time of day, security (if you're dressed as some gang banger and are visiting a home dealer), additional fees for locks, etc., but anything else should be reported to the DOJ to keep our dealers in line.

oogway
12-13-2009, 9:35 AM
Irvington Arms, Fremont
They also sell (parts for ) AR.

eltee
12-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Bottomline is that any licensed CA dealer is bound by law to perform legal PPT transactions for a total cost of no more than $35. You may give some consideration to time of day, security (if you're dressed as some gang banger and are visiting a home dealer), additional fees for locks, etc., but anything should be reported to the DOJ to keep our dealers in line.

Has anyone heard of dealers balking or refusing to PPT OLL's based on their (personal) determination that OLL's are not legal? We still occasionally hear about gunstores justifying their refusing to handle OLL's by stating that they are illegal or at least in a grey area, but it would be interesting to see if any dealer applied this to an OLL PPT since there is some requirement that FFL's conduct drop-in PPT's.

Gio
12-13-2009, 1:38 PM
Has anyone heard of dealers balking or refusing to PPT OLL's based on their (personal) determination that OLL's are not legal? We still occasionally hear about gunstores justifying their refusing to handle OLL's by stating that they are illegal or at least in a grey area, but it would be interesting to see if any dealer applied this to an OLL PPT since there is some requirement that FFL's conduct drop-in PPT's.

Not so much for that, but I have heard from several FFL's that they will not transfer in Single Shot Exemptions as in AR or AK Pistols :mad: Which means I have to drive 30 minutes or more to be able to do that when I could of driven 5 minutes to do so :rolleyes:

-Gio

GraveTrain
12-13-2009, 5:10 PM
Sorry about the panic guys. But my first call to a local FFL was a reminder that I was in the Republik of Kalifornia.

Called up a place that handled my buddies out of state NIB transfer. So I gave them a call. I consider myself pretty articulate, I greeted the person on the phone with a "Good afternoon!" and proceeded to ask him if his shop would handle a PPT.

Shop: "What kind of gun is it?"

Me: "Stags built AR fr..." *interrupted*

Shop: "Hold on..."

Shop -> Boss: "Some guy wants to transfer a Stag from out of state.."

Shop: "No, we don't do those"

Me: "I think you misunderstood me. This is not out of state, this is a PPT within California. The rifle is fully compliant and has a bullet button installed."

Shop -> Boss: "He says it's from California and it's compliant"

Shop: "Yeah, the boss still says NO" hangs up phone.

That's when I got a little panicked. Thought the state or Bay Area was coming down on PPTs of EBR's. I'll be contacting some of your recommendations.

This is what makes CalGun a great place to hang... voice of reason in a maelstrom of political correctness.

Thanks guys.

gunshack
12-14-2009, 7:57 AM
Independence Armory in Petaluma can help.

jchen76@gmail.com
12-16-2009, 2:51 PM
City-Arms in pacifica will do it, exactly with the configuration you described, bb installed on lower with 10 rounder locked in. The new store, High Bridge Arms in San Bruno may do it, they do sell AR OLL's.

tenpercentfirearms
12-16-2009, 4:58 PM
Although I am a huge fan of holding FFLs accountable on the PPT issue, I do not think an FFL should be required to PPT anything they think is legally questionable in California. Despite it being abundently clear to all of us here, not everyone agrees what we do is legal. To compound the issue, the DOJ will not provide a difinitive answer on the subject.

Therefore, I don't advise anyone to bust an FFL's testicles over PPTing OLL/OLR items. If they don't want to mess with the most profitable firearms in the state right now, fine. Screw em. There are plenty of shops now that will. No one is having to drive from San Jose to Taft anymore, so complaining about having to drive an hour out of your way doesn't hold much sway with me.

Now if they are saying they only do PPTs at certain times or they are charging more than $35, let's educate them. The DOJ and the law is clear about that. The law is clear about most of what we do, but the DOJ is not and I can't blame a dealer for not wanting to take any unecessary risks, especially on a $35 PPT.

If the DOJ ever starts officially being experts on the law again, then my opinion will change.

1911whore
12-16-2009, 5:43 PM
Kevin in Martinez is a real supporter of us here at calguns and a great private ffl to deal with. I just forgot his last name, someone has it on here.

jchen76@gmail.com
12-16-2009, 6:17 PM
Kevin in Martinez is a real supporter of us here at calguns and a great private ffl to deal with. I just forgot his last name, someone has it on here.

Kevin Smith. Great guy and does business on Weekends. Kitchen FFL.

Tavern Keeper
12-16-2009, 7:39 PM
I know it's a drive for you, but a PPT is a PPT. $35 24/7

Lee Williams
Tunn Tavern Arms
Manteca CA

Soldier415
12-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Come do the PPT with us at Bullseye. You will receive a 5% discount on accessories while conducting your PPT.

Dan

YZINGERR
12-20-2009, 2:38 PM
cant you just transfer the stripped lower that you bought from him?

norcal-ar
12-20-2009, 9:05 PM
Kevin Smith. Great guy and does business on Weekends. Kitchen FFL.

+1 kevin is a great guy he just helped me with the arsenal group buy freak show did!!

dpharley
01-02-2010, 9:42 PM
Just did one today via Kevin Smith in Martinez he charges $50 for private party xfers. He will also only charge you additional $25 for multiple long guns on the same DROS. His contact info is below.

FFL Transfer
Kevin Smith
259 Morello Ave.
Martinez, CA 94553-3523
Ph: 925-229-2553