PDA

View Full Version : Carrying in the woods.

Steelhead
11-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Concerning carrying in the wilderness. What is the law for carrying a firearm/handgun in the wilderness? I go on hikes, mostly to fishing remote areas, and would like to bring along a little security myself. I know some areas specifically prohibit firearms, but what about those with no signage? This wouldn’t require a CCW would it?
I'm a newbie so I am clueless here. :confused:
Thanks!
-Glen

M1A Rifleman
11-22-2005, 3:43 PM
Per the handgun safety handbook from the DOJ - no problem when hunting or fishing - assuming you are hunting and fishing in a legal area etc. Carrying either conceled or open carry when hiking seems to be more vague. Strictly observing this manual, concealed when hiking would seem to be a no, and open carry with a load handgun seems dependent on it be a public place or not, the the County, population etc.

I hope someone else can clear this up for my benefit also.

C.G.
11-22-2005, 4:05 PM
Per the handgun safety handbook from the DOJ - no problem when hunting or fishing - assuming you are hunting and fishing in a legal area etc. Carrying either conceled or open carry when hiking seems to be more vague. Strictly observing this manual, concealed when hiking would seem to be a no, and open carry with a load handgun seems dependent on it be a public place or not, the the County, population etc.

I hope someone else can clear this up for my benefit also.

Cannot carry concealed unless you have a CCW.

M1A Rifleman
11-22-2005, 4:13 PM
Cannot carry concealed unless you have a CCW.
That's not what the DOJ handbook says - check their website. When Hunting and fishing its OK.

C.G.
11-22-2005, 6:54 PM
Thats not what the DOJ handbook says - cjeck their website. when Hunting and fishing its OK.

I was a little quick on the trigger; you are right, unless prohibited.

MrTuffPaws
11-22-2005, 7:17 PM
From my understanding, you can carry a gun outside of an incorporated city or not being on a public road. As long as you where hiking in a non-incorporated area, you should be okay as long as you are not walking a public road. Concealed or not, I can't really say.

Anyone care to expand on this?

As for the poster, I really think you should get "How to own a gun and stay out of jail, 2005". It is a really easy read and covers most cases.

C.G.
11-23-2005, 1:45 AM
From my understanding, you can carry a gun outside of an incorporated city or not being on a public road. As long as you where hiking in a non-incorporated area, you should be okay as long as you are not walking a public road. Concealed or not, I can't really say.

Anyone care to expand on this?

As for the poster, I really think you should get "How to own a gun and stay out of jail, 2005". It is a really easy read and covers most cases.

You would have to be hunting/fishing not hiking, per above post.

M1A Rifleman
11-23-2005, 7:26 AM
You would have to be hunting/fishing not hiking, per above post.

I think your both right - no concealed unless hunting/fishing - however, open carry loaded is ok depending on the in/un-in corporated areas, with specific populations, non public areas ......etc. This last part, at least for me, needs the clarification and I am sure it will help all. The law was nodoubt written to confuse and scare one into not open carrying.:mad:

capitol
11-23-2005, 8:16 PM
All LEO's know this phrase. There is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.
The law dog will determine which to follow. And yes EXPECT to be profiled :)

C.G.
11-23-2005, 8:46 PM
All LEO's know this phrase. There is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.
The law dog will determine which to follow. And yes EXPECT to be profiled :)

Good one, haven't heard that one before!

capitol
11-23-2005, 9:28 PM
Good one, haven't heard that one before!

It's the truth...

Greg Beck
11-27-2005, 11:11 AM
I transport my handgun in a Califonia approved manner. On the trail you have to carry unloaded, until you reach you camp or residence. You may carry loaded when you begin hunting or fishing. Its your judgement and common sense that really determines what is the valid call for your own safety.

Nylo
11-27-2005, 10:55 PM
California Firearms law.

California Penal Code 12031 (G)

(g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or
other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while
engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms
unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing
expedition.

Steelhead
11-28-2005, 8:39 AM
Thanks everyone! I think it at least gives me a direction. I'll keep her unloaded until the rod is rigged up I guess, which just means I'll have to rig up at the car, ha ha.
Hope everyones thanksgiving was a great one.
-Glen

Mike
11-28-2005, 5:57 PM
California Firearms law.

California Penal Code 12031 (G)

(g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or
other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while
engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms
unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing
expedition.

That's what I was thinking as well--but in wilderness areas, weren't you required to open (not concealed) carry?

Roboshred
12-14-2005, 8:46 PM
I believe it's prohibited in national parks and almost all the lakes in Ca.. Wilderness areas are a yes. Call the ranger station where your headed in order
to confirm. For instance, Lake Oroville doesn't allow firearms. However
I do, so I annoy all the rangers around there and the residents by unloading
on my property. It also keeps the pot growers on their toes!

M1A Rifleman
12-15-2005, 8:58 AM
I believe it's prohibited in national parks and almost all the lakes in Ca.. Wilderness areas are a yes. Call the ranger station where your headed in order
to confirm. For instance, Lake Oroville doesn't allow firearms. However
I do, so I annoy all the rangers around there and the residents by unloading
on my property. It also keeps the pot growers on their toes!

It is my understanding this is not all true.
State and Federal Parks it is prohibited, and local City, County areas may also have restrictions.

There are no issues with lakes that are within the National Forest or BLM as these are under Federal contol through the Dept of the Interior and Dept of Agriculture. Concealed carry here is OK as long as you are legally hunting/fishing - unless there is something posted otherwise. Open carry when not hunting/fishing in these areas is a bit more grey. - These are CA State code issues that apply within these Federal forest and land areas.

I assume Lake Oroville is a State facility - hence the reason they would not allow firearms.