PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Safe for $240 with 20% Off Coupon (Works on any single item)

vta
12-11-2009, 10:57 AM
They have their executive safe on sale for $299.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/95800-95899/95824.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95824
(Not showing the discount online but I just bought one today at my harborfreight for $299)

Use this coupon to get another 15% off on top of it.
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/displayCoupon.do?week=5009&campaign=RetailB&page=coupon1.html&cust=70000000000&keycode=0000&single=true

Thanks to glock_this, this deal is now even better. 20% off coupon:
http://www.harborfreight.com/hftusa/magpromos/popsci.pdf

not sure this one is certified for firearms but it would be great for any other valuables.

glock_this
12-11-2009, 10:59 AM
thanks for the coupon, I have been looking at this one

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93473

vta
12-11-2009, 11:02 AM
thanks for the coupon, I have been looking at this one

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93473

oh yeah! i forgot they carry this safe! that is never on sale. I think I might get one too...

here is the pic of what glock_this is linking to ( its even showing a glock in it :) ):
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/93400-93499/93473.gif

Bigballaizm
12-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Can you remove the shelves to put rifles in it?

Kelvrick
12-11-2009, 11:14 AM
If you're an NRA member (which I think everyone should), you can often find their 20% coupons in the magazines that get sent to you.

vta

yes and thats what i plan on doing. On the side of the box there is a picture showing the shelves removed and rifles inside. it is actually still in the back of my car. too heavy for me to get it in the house by myself.

jeffyboy

The description says:

Three adjustable shelves can be removed to accommodate large items

So I would say yes

mike22ca
12-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I might have to go pick one up

glock_this
12-11-2009, 11:41 AM
HEY a little snooping around and I found a 20% off coupon here (http://www.harborfreight.com/hftusa/magpromos/popsci.pdf) :) enjoy - update your title to 20% off

RookieShooter
12-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Is this a good quality safe or the usual junk made in China?

vta
12-11-2009, 12:01 PM

its a usual junk Chinese safe thats still a deal at $240. It will keep your kids and some intruders out of your sh*t. if you dont like buying harbor freight stuff than I would recommend you stay away from it.

veterosa
12-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Great deal

RookieShooter
12-11-2009, 12:22 PM
its a usual junk Chinese safe thats still a deal at $240. It will keep your kids and some intruders out of your sh*t. if you dont like buying harbor freight stuff than I would recommend you stay away from it.

No need to have your blood pressure pumped up here!!!:jump:
I was only asking the quality of this safe since I'm in the market for one also. We all know that Harbor Freight carry junk from China but are they good enough for the price and you will not get lockout when you need to grab your guns in an emergency situation

jmf_tracy
12-11-2009, 12:30 PM

it is the usual junk made in china as everything is at harbor freight. don't get me wrong, i love harbor freight for cheap tools, but i only buy certain things from there. as far as a safe... it is more like a lockable storage locker. you would be far better server with the $499 winchester safe at costco. JMO. YMMV.

RookieShooter
12-11-2009, 12:35 PM
as far as a safe... it is more like a lockable storage locker. you would be far better server with the $499 winchester safe at costco. JMO. YMMV.

Thank you for your honest comment!! I'll check into that safe from Costco.

vta
12-11-2009, 1:05 PM
No need to have your blood pressure pumped up here!!!:jump:
I was only asking the quality of this safe since I'm in the market for one also. We all know that Harbor Freight carry junk from China but are they good enough for the price and you will not get lockout when you need to grab your guns in an emergency situation

no blood pressure pumping here. Just thought I would give it to you straight since you seemed like a straight shooter.

jmf_tracy is right. The costco safe is much better. That's if you are ready to spend more than twice the amount.

glock_this
12-11-2009, 1:10 PM
if money matters, and you have nothing, this will work just fine. chances are, you will never need the fort knox of safes.

the thing is 230 pounds empty, Five live locking bolts, 3/4" diameter steel, Concealed hinges, Heavy duty 6 mm thick steel door, Triple steel walls

hell, what more does the "average" gun owner need?????

thomashoward
12-11-2009, 1:10 PM
On sale for $899. far better.
a cheap safe is like a cheap parachute.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/safes/cannon-ts7240-tall-wide-body-gun-safe-3910084

vta
12-11-2009, 1:22 PM
for those who are interested in seeing more on this safe, I will take some pics of mine and post it later today. Or you can head down to your harbor freight and see it yourself.

I can tell you now that it is no fort knox or winchester or sentry but it is more than a lockable cabinet.

RookieShooter
12-11-2009, 1:22 PM
no blood pressure pumping here. Just thought I would give it to you straight since you seemed like a straight shooter.

jmf_tracy is right. The costco safe is much better. That's if you are ready to spend more than twice the amount.

Thanks for the straight answer, and if you don't mind another question. Would you recommend this safe for ammo storage in the garage?

cosorio
12-11-2009, 1:33 PM
I've had this safe for about a year now and it served its purpose just fine. I outgrew it so I'm looking for a bigger one and I'll sell the HF safe soon.

vta
12-11-2009, 1:54 PM
Thanks for the straight answer, and if you don't mind another question. Would you recommend this safe for ammo storage in the garage?

you can store ammo in any thing as long as it doesnt get too hot and stays dry. So I would say it is fine for ammo as long as your garage is suitable otherwise.

vinny_land
12-11-2009, 1:54 PM
oh yeah! i forgot they carry this safe! that is never on sale. I think I might get one too...

here is the pic of what glock_this is linking to ( its even showing a glock in it :) ):
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/93400-93499/93473.gif

Oh wow I knew HF carried safes but never thought they carried GunVault products. Is this the only model they have or do they have the bigger models for pistol safes?

glock_this
12-11-2009, 1:57 PM
Oh wow I knew HF carried safes but never thought they carried GunVault products. Is this the only model they have or do they have the bigger models for pistol safes?

only one of that brand I have ever seen at my location... ever

mike22ca
12-11-2009, 1:59 PM
Ive seen the Bunker Hill ones there, and Sentrys there.

vta
12-11-2009, 2:46 PM

I've only seen the single pistol gunvault there at my local HF.

munkeeboi
12-11-2009, 3:11 PM
For the gunvault, it's the same price on ebay shipped (with Bing 8%), after you consider the HF 20% coupon and tax. If Bing ever goes up to 15-20% again, ebay is the clear winner.

I wouldn't sweat the gunvault's if you can't get one locally since it's the current going rate on ebay anyways.

Cokebottle
12-11-2009, 3:20 PM
oh yeah! i forgot they carry this safe! that is never on sale. I think I might get one too.
That's because they only put the cheap Chinese crap on sale.

I'd love to get a look at HF's books :D

vta
12-11-2009, 3:27 PM
That's because they only put the cheap Chinese crap on sale.

I'd love to get a look at HF's books :D

I love HF bashing as much as the next guy. However I have spent more time than I care to share on walking thru their aisles looking at sh*t.

pTa
12-11-2009, 3:34 PM
Wish there was a Harbor Freight nearer to me, it reminds me of Saturday mornings getting tools with my dad.

Cokebottle
12-11-2009, 3:45 PM
I love HF bashing as much as the next guy. However I have spent more time than I care to share on walking thru their aisles looking at sh*t.
Same here.

I wouldn't buy any of their stuff for professional use... I'll stick with no lower than Lowe's for things that my job depends on, but for home/hobby stuff that might get used twice a year? Oh ya... I've got a ton of their stuff.
So what if the angle grinder bushings start to sound like a box of marbles after 10 minutes of use... the wheel still spins, and I don't mind spending $30 every 2 years on a new one.

Scaryfastg
12-11-2009, 8:16 PM
Stay away from the winchester safe you see at costo. It has no keyed override for the electronic lock. If electronic lock fails your f***ed. The electronic lock also has only a 1 year warranty. I think the harbor freight one is better even if it is less sturdy.

Scaryfastg
12-11-2009, 8:21 PM
Off topic but I thought I might add that my favorite tool is my harbor freight 5.5 hp gas chipper shredder. I have used it once a week for about a year and half now and it starts every time on the first pull. I highly recommend it.

Cokebottle
12-11-2009, 8:23 PM
As much of a techie geek as I am, electronic locks still make me nervous.

Considering one of the Honeywell safes from Lowes for the planned expansion of the pistol collection and for documents. They've got one that would be perfectly adequate for about $150... $240 or so with an electronic lock.

But even with a key backup, it bugs me.
I think I'll just go for the $150 dial with the key dial lock.

wait_one
12-11-2009, 8:56 PM
that's a great deal even if it is chi-com.

can use it just for storing ammo and misc stuff. thanks for the info.

trautert
12-11-2009, 9:17 PM
I doubt this safe is on the AG's list, and as such, won't serve for the safe affadavit. Just sayin'

Tom

vta
12-11-2009, 9:25 PM
I doubt this safe is on the AG's list, and as such, won't serve for the safe affadavit. Just sayin'

Tom

its not on the list. im guessing thats why they called it executive safe and not gun safe. as long as you still put a gun lock on each gun, it is still legit and its keeps people from walking away with your guns and children from accidentally blowing their heads off while you are gone.

and thats right about it not serving for the affidavit. you are stuck buying those damn overpriced pad locks still if this is the only safe you got.

btw, the key override works quite well. in fact, i just set mine up in the spare closet and did't even bother to set up the combo. I am just using the key for now until i have more time to get my lazy azz off of calguns to read the instructions :)

As far as quality goes, it seems decent. everything inside will char in a fire and soak in a flood as its has no ratings for either one. But it is pretty hefty and nothing short of a sledge hammer or a fireman's axe will get thru that door if someone does walk away with all 230 lbs of it.

The shelves do not come installed so even the longest of rifles fit in it just fine. i would say you could get 7 or 8 of them in there if your rifles like each other.

chico.cm
12-11-2009, 11:44 PM
The most noticeable difference I see between adequate safes and 'secure' safes is the UL listing/fire rating. It was the difference between fully covered with the insurance and, "sorry for your loss".
I am thinking about one of these for the office and/or to store all my ammo in. I like to keep the kids out of everything.

glock_this
12-12-2009, 7:04 AM
For the gunvault, it's the same price on ebay shipped (with Bing 8%), after you consider the HF 20% coupon and tax. If Bing ever goes up to 15-20% again, ebay is the clear winner.

I wouldn't sweat the gunvault's if you can't get one locally since it's the current going rate on ebay anyways.

with the 20% off, at HF that would be about 86$ (99-19+tax) out the door

on eBay, using bing, that would be 90 - current 8% = 82.80 - $1.80 in eBay Bucks = 81 out the door

so yes, $5 saved.. good find, but might be worth the $5 locally if you have issues

edit: I ended up going the eBay/Bing route

justin_5585
12-12-2009, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=vta;3484344]
As far as quality goes, it seems decent. everything inside will char in a fire and soak in a flood as its has no ratings for either one. [QUOTE]

See, that's the problem. I am less concerned with theft in my area, and more so wanting a safe for the safety from natural disaster and fire. I suppose this wouldn't be a bad buy for ammo storage though, but that's about it for me.

vta
12-12-2009, 10:18 AM
See, that's the problem. I am less concerned with theft in my area, and more so wanting a safe for the safety from natural disaster and fire. I suppose this wouldn't be a bad buy for ammo storage though, but that's about it for me.

you will not find anything this size for long guns that is fireproof at this price or double this price. regardless of brand. period.

no one should have expected this item to be a fireproof safe.

As for ammo storage, it is ideal because you would not want to store your ammo with anything else that you don't want to turn to ash in any safe, fireproof or not. Because even a fireproof safe will get hot enough for the gun powder to go KA-BOOM in a fire.

Fay BUddha
01-13-2010, 5:46 PM
I saw that this safe is going on MLK sale (16-18th) for $249.99, so I came on over to see what you thought of it. I gather it is good enough to store stuff not CA DOJ blessed and if a bad guy wants it he will take it.
Now if that 20% works with the sale it is $200

It is on page 4 (http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/tabviewer/startBrowseBook.do?bookid=267&preview=&type=RET&simple=)

Cokebottle
01-13-2010, 5:53 PM
I gather it is good enough to store stuff not CA DOJ blessed and if a bad guy wants it he will take it.
Other than may/may not be DOJ blessed, all of the above applies to pretty much any safe costing less than $1500, and even some of them depending on how they are mounted.

Alex$
01-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Stay away from the winchester safe you see at costo. It has no keyed override for the electronic lock. If electronic lock fails your f***ed. The electronic lock also has only a 1 year warranty. I think the harbor freight one is better even if it is less sturdy.

The Winchester branded safe, licensed by the Granite Security Products company of Fort Worth Tx, built in China gun safe from Costco most certainly does have a "keyed override for the electronic lock" (whatever that is, I assume you mean "key" override). If you "forget" your key there is a master key that will open the safe.

If you owned one and actually got locked out of it you might meet the one man show at Granite who is the customer service department. I own one, got locked out of the thing and was ready to return it to Costco. Had a long conversation with support (sorry forgot his name), he got me back in the safe and I told him I was ready to return the stupid thing. (don't think both my wife and I "forgot" the key, the damn thing lost its mind) He assured me there is a physical key he could send me if the damn thing locked me out again.

He is a nice guy from Chico, he transplanted to Fort Worth,Tx. Was a fun conversation since my folks live in Ft. Worth. I take him at his word, even though the safe was built in China.

Back to topic: I printed and am considering the HF safe, (and some other coupon listed items, thank you). I have never been in a HF store, but I don't understand the "built in China" bashing going on, take a look at the products you are buying and look at the tag again. I bought a "Winchester" branded safe, licensed by the Granite Security Products, Inc. company of Fort Worth Texas, only to find the safe was built in China.

I appreciate the fact that we support American jobs by buying certain "Made in America" brands, just be sure that you are, in fact, buying goods produced in America that support American jobs.

zman
01-14-2010, 11:00 AM
if money matters, and you have nothing, this will work just fine. chances are, you will never need the fort knox of safes.

the thing is 230 pounds empty, Five live locking bolts, 3/4" diameter steel, Concealed hinges, Heavy duty 6 mm thick steel door, Triple steel walls

hell, what more does the "average" gun owner need?????

Knowing how many gun owners actually don't have safes, I would have to side with you on this one.

Cokebottle
01-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Knowing how many gun owners actually don't have safes, I would have to side with you on this one.
Agreed.

Things are different today in many neighborhoods, but for the vast majority of the country, it's still 1970's suburban LA/Orange County.

For 50 years, rifled wrapped in a blanket in the corner of his closet worked for my dad. Seemed that any time we heard of a burglary in the neighborhood where guns were stolen, the owner had a safe.

Mere delivery of the safe is a red flag that announces to the neighborhood "this guy has guns" and the home becomes a target.
Personally, I'd recommend local pickup with a U-Haul, and before getting home, slap a "Maytag" sticker on the box so people think you're just bringing in a new fridge.

coop44
01-14-2010, 1:55 PM
HF might have crappy stuff, but that crappy stuff has bailed me out more than a time or two.
BTW I just love browsing the cool crappy stuff, for hours