PDA

View Full Version : HELP: How to Remove Forend from Moss 500?

joel1316
11-21-2005, 11:45 AM
I must be searching in the wrong places and Googling the the wrong words, but I can't seem to find the information on how to remove the forend from a Mossberg 500? I looked in my manual and still could not find how to remove the forend, it did however give instruction on how to remove the stock. I'm either blind or just frustrated and can't find how to remove the forend.....
Taking off the barrel shows that the forend looks to be held on by a large retainer with 2 slots. Does that screw off to remove the forend? If so, how do you remove that ring? Do I have to buy the special tool for it?

Thanks!

mokona2
11-21-2005, 12:57 PM
Yes, that retainer with 2 slots needs to be removed so you can get at the forend (which will slide off). I don't have my instruction book, but the instructions that come with the Surefire weaponlight shows how this is done. The Surefire kit also comes with a cheap metal tool to loosen the retainer nut. I think you can also accomplish this with a pair of needlenose pliers.

joel1316
11-21-2005, 2:55 PM
Thanks Mokona2, at least I know I'm in the right direction.... Just gotta figure out how to remove that retainer without damaging it. Brownell's sells a wrench for about $18.00, debating on if I should just buy it.

usp45
11-23-2005, 8:26 PM
I got mine off by just stickin' my fingernails in those slots and twisting. Or you could use two screwdrivers.

scott
11-30-2005, 6:31 PM
The cartridge stops are the right size to remove that big nut on the forend. Just be careful not to bend 'em. Or you can go with Ted's suggestion of a piece of sheet metal. If the nut is tight, you can clamp the sheet metal in a vise and place the forend over it, using the forend as your "screwdriver."

686+
12-01-2005, 9:43 AM
If you have a dremel and a grinder and are quasi mechanically inclined:

Find a socket in the right diameter and grind away at the front untill you are left with a custom tool that will have two fingers that precicely engage those lugs. Works great and is guaranteed not to mess up anything. If you have the tools it takes less then 1/2 hour.