PDA

View Full Version : Verizon sucks

Charliegone
12-11-2009, 2:12 AM
Yup it's a rant. I mean I can't put it any simpler. I've been having major headaches with dsl for a freaking month (frequent disconnects, low download/upload, phone line goes dead, etc). 3 techs and numerous hours on the phone and no one knows what the hell is wrong with my line. Then they ask me to call Voice...guess what they want? Money. Yup 90 something dollars to "take a look." Hell I even asked them to install a freaking NID box (which I'm told should be free, my house has old style box) and they won't do it! Hell they don't want to do a damn thing. Pretty much had it with them. I'm thinking of just going cable with the phone and already am going with cable internet and it cost the same as Verizons crappy dsl (which only gets me max 3mb down, more like 1.5, while with roadrunner I'd get 10mb), verizon is just a major pain in the *** to deal with. Crappy customer service. Don't get Verizon, you will regret it. Ok rant off and back to the regular schedule programming.:D

Vin496
12-11-2009, 8:07 AM
I thought Verizon was the holy grail, and if we all had them our lives would be complete.

bcrich
12-11-2009, 8:47 AM
My contract is due in feb, Cant wait to dump them! I agree they suck!

tmncali
12-11-2009, 8:57 AM
Yup it's a rant. I mean I can't put it any simpler. I've been having major headaches with dsl for a freaking month (frequent disconnects, low download/upload, phone line goes dead, etc). 3 techs and numerous hours on the phone and no one knows what the hell is wrong with my line. Then they ask me to call Voice...guess what they want? Money. Yup 90 something dollars to "take a look." Hell I even asked them to install a freaking NID box (which I'm told should be free, my house has old style box) and they won't do it! Hell they don't want to do a damn thing. Pretty much had it with them. I'm thinking of just going cable with the phone and already am going with cable internet and it cost the same as Verizons crappy dsl (which only gets me max 3mb down, more like 1.5, while with roadrunner I'd get 10mb), verizon is just a major pain in the *** to deal with. Crappy customer service. Don't get Verizon, you will regret it. Ok rant off and back to the regular schedule programming.:D

PM me your telphone # I'll take a look at it.
P.S. I am a Verizon DSL/HSI Field Tech.

Seesm
12-11-2009, 9:38 AM
I have them for my phone service and had it for over 10 yrs will good success... But no computer dsl connection dealio.

hoozaru
12-11-2009, 9:41 AM
my verizon DSL just died on Wednesday (first time in 5 yrs), they are coming over today :(

Acorn556
12-11-2009, 9:55 AM
IKabout their interet service but theirphone service KICKS AT&T OUTTA THE GAME!

caduckgunner
12-11-2009, 2:26 PM
I say F verizon also. I've been having problems with my DSL since Wednesday. I called tech support (in India of course) and they guy says he will send someone out Friday.Well they came on Thursday when no one was home, and now they won't come back out to Monday. So I call last night, spend over an hour talking to them (on my cell phone) and asking not to be transferred to India, wanting someone there on Friday. After spending an hour on my cell phone, they transferred me to India again, and tell me the repair dispatch center is closed. So this morning, my phone line is dead. I call them again, and am still told Monday. I've had enough of there crappy service. I need the internet so I can work from home, and instead I am going to have to drive 45 miles into work this weekend, because verizon can't get someone to my house when they said they would. Looks like I will be changing over to Charter Communications for phone and internet. Screw you verizon. Maybe I will be getting an iphone now.

JDay
12-11-2009, 7:38 PM
Your problem is you have DSL and not FiOS.

double_action
12-11-2009, 7:49 PM
^ This.

hoozaru
12-11-2009, 8:00 PM

they don't offer FIOS in many areas, for example mine!!

something must happened on wednesday, looks like I am not the only one who had problems since then.

The tech did not show up today, but my DSL is back.

Rob454
12-11-2009, 8:35 PM
I thought Verizon was the holy grail, and if we all had them our lives would be complete.

Sort of like Obama huh?

Charliegone
12-11-2009, 10:58 PM
PM me your telphone # I'll take a look at it.
P.S. I am a Verizon DSL/HSI Field Tech.

Sure thing bro, but I'm still switching to cable (I mean 10mb compared to 3mb for the same price). My phone line for some reason just goes out and blam! no dial tone. Thanks.

Charliegone
12-11-2009, 11:07 PM

Unfortunately, they do not offer it at my location. For the most part my beef is with the customer service. They never get anything right or put on me hold for 1hr (I really hate that). The tech that has come over my house did install a filter at the box, but no luck, still goes out or slows down considerably from the advertised speed. I have installed brand new freaking phone lines, nothing! I or neither Verizon knows what's going on. This also just started happening recently. Don't know why the phone just dies and has no dial tone. I have heard that Squirrels can do a number on phone lines, but I haven't seen many lately.

tmncali
12-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Charliegone, I PM'd you.

ironhiide
12-12-2009, 12:51 AM
Weird, I have Verizon phone and DSL, and both have been working perfectly for the last 5+ years. The service has been really good for me, I get 3.5+ mb download speeds, no complaints here.

I had one issue installing a new home router, but a call to a tech took about 10min or less, and I was online again.

caduckgunner
12-12-2009, 10:07 AM

FiOS is not yet available in my area.

BlueSpader
12-12-2009, 10:30 AM
http://gizmodo.com/5424744/verizon-customer-service-rep-that-dsl-upgrade-will-burn-your-house-down

Michael just wanted to upgrade his DSL to a faster plan. Yet Verizon jerked him around, each successive rep saying something different, until he was told the upgrade would burn his house down. What?

This poor guy was a Verizon customer for seven years, dutifully paying his bills on time, until he decided it was time to upgrade to a faster plan than the one he had. His neighbor had that faster plan, and when he checked his address online, Verizon's site told him the upgrade was available. But when he tried to make that upgrade...well, it didn't go quite as planned.

The summary? Seven phone calls, 1 hour and 42 minutes between 11:50am and 12:42pm. What did that earn me? Absolutely nothing but utter frustration and torture.

Each of the seven reps told him something totally different, from "that's not available at your address" to "that's not available for an upgrade" to "that's only available online"—and four more. But the best one has to be the last.

I directly asked "why is it I can open a new account with 7MB but I cannot order it as an existing customer?". Her response: "your home cannot handle the 7MB speed. If I put in the order for 7MB, it will burn your house down".

The upgrade will burn your house down. That has to take the cake as one of the craziest things ever said by an ISP rep. Needless to say, Michael is no longer a Verizon customer. [Consumerist]

tmncali
12-14-2009, 2:34 AM
Last Result:
Download Speed: 26075 kbps (3259.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 14881 kbps (1860.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Fios does run better.

No fires here yet.

RideIcon
12-21-2009, 1:02 AM
they have recently gotten really stingy, im glad i actually got out of my contract!

Richie Caketown
12-21-2009, 1:25 AM
i had a contract with them that i started in the beginning of 05 and somehwere around 6 months before my contracts end the service and reception got really bad and i got dropped calls left and right , they switched my phone for a new one to no avail . Went AT&T and havent had any problems since :D

Vectrexer
12-21-2009, 3:21 AM
Yup it's a rant. I mean I can't put it any simpler.

If you think V sucks, try AT&T. You'll be fleeing back to Verizon in nothing flat.

Charliegone
12-22-2009, 4:17 AM
Well, I finally got Roadrunner cable and maaaannnnn...what a difference. So fast and for the same price, I'm glad I got rid of dsl. Tmncali tried to help me out solve the issue, but nothing could be done to improve the signal. 10mbps down/ 1mbps up on the road runner. In reality I sometimes get even faster speeds up to 15mbps at times.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/659866307.png

45DAVID1
12-22-2009, 7:22 AM
Call them and ask them to reset the line.

GM4spd
12-22-2009, 8:17 AM
Geez I've had them 2 years and my DSL is really fast,no breakdowns, and my FIOS
HD for TV is better then anything else I've seen out there. Pete

mif_slim
12-22-2009, 9:22 AM
I thought they had the best coverage and the worlds first 4G network? Was it not them? ;)

gravedigger
12-22-2009, 10:21 AM
A Verizon tech told me that DSL is all about how close you are to a hub. The effective range is, I think, 25,000 feet. That is a little under five miles. Ask Verizon for the exact location of your hub. Then do a Google check on the distance, but remember that the lines follow streets and sewers and existing phone poles, so it is not a line-of-sight measurement.

The closer you are to a hub, the faster and more reliable your DSL connection will be. If you are 8 or 10 line miles from a hub, your DSL will work ... sort of, but it is subject to bad wiring, water getting into the underground phone lines (raining in your area?) and other interference sources. The signal may be coming to you, but if it is scrambled by the guy down the road running his 440-volt 3-phase plasma welder to build his space ship, then DSL needs to re-send each corrupted data packet until it arrives at your computer successfully. This translates into a slowdown as the same data is sent several times until your computer replies with "Got it! Send the next one." Of course, if your REPLY is corrupted along the way, then it must be sent again, and so it goes. Cable suffers the same fate, but slowdowns in cable service come from too many people sucking on the data feed, rather than data corruption and re-send delays.

Alas, life is not perfect. I have commercial level cable Internet with a static IP address at my home ($80.00 per month) and the AT&T USB Internet unit in my tow truck ($65.00 per month with text messaging), an iPhone with the data package (required, at $110.00 per month with my calling plan) and digital cable TV with HBO etc. ($93.00 per month) , as well as an AT&T landline in my home for a fax and emergencies ($35.00 per month) and toll-free numbers for my business ($35.00 per month) so my communication with the outside world, including home phone, cell phone, net access both at home and on the road and toll free numbers runs me about $400.00 per month or around $13.00 per day. Now I'm depressed.

JDay
12-22-2009, 8:49 PM
Geez I've had them 2 years and my DSL is really fast,no breakdowns, and my FIOS
HD for TV is better then anything else I've seen out there. Pete

FiOS isn't DSL, its fiber.

Warhawk014
01-04-2010, 12:59 AM
meh i just tether my droid to my pc. BAM internet access and its pretty quick. dont have to pay for dsl.