PDA

View Full Version : can I shoot a coyote in my backyard?

Saym14
12-10-2009, 1:44 PM
my city law says its illegal to discharge a firearm in the city limits. If a coyote jumps my fence and tries to attack my dog can I shoot it? anyone know?

anyracoon
12-10-2009, 1:52 PM
Hmmm. SSS - Shoot, Shovel, Shutup!

sideshowhr
12-10-2009, 2:02 PM
i've been wondering the same thing, especially with stories of coyotes attacking dogs in my neighborhood. hell, there was just a story about a mountain lion (snapped a 90lb GSD's spine with one whack) and a black bear coming down from the (burnt) mountains!

E. Fudd
12-10-2009, 2:03 PM
I don't think so.

My understanding is the only exemption to the discharging within city limits law would be in a self-defense situation, and that refers to defending yourself and your family, but not pets.

Now if the coyote attacked you.... Even then, they'd probably ask you why you didn't run inside the house, shut the door, and call 911 instead....

Super Spy
12-10-2009, 2:05 PM
If a bad guy breaks into a house, you can't shoot him because your inside city limits?
Just saying.....

SJgunguy24
12-10-2009, 2:05 PM
Do you have any small childern? "The Coyote tried to attack my son/daughter."
Get a compound bow and some broadheads.

professorhard
12-10-2009, 2:06 PM
Sure can. But only if it is actually attacking you or your dog.

SJgunguy24
12-10-2009, 2:10 PM
Sure can. But only if it is actually attacking you or your dog.

Your dog is property and that might not fly with the local police or the DA.

audihenry
12-10-2009, 2:28 PM
Just say it was about to attack your kids who were confused, so you had to kill it. :-D

sideshowhr
12-10-2009, 2:34 PM
one word:

.22 with a 2 liter bottle duct taped to the muzzle like how steven seagal did.

okay more than one word.

jazman
12-10-2009, 2:35 PM
Any neighbors around that would be affected if you miss?

SJgunguy24
12-10-2009, 2:35 PM
one word:

.22 with a 2 liter bottle duct taped to the muzzle how steven segal did.

okay more than one word.

Ummm.........2 words, Federal offense.

sideshowhr
12-10-2009, 2:37 PM
why so serious? :p

BIGCHRIS
12-10-2009, 2:38 PM
Get a bigger dog :)

Untamed1972
12-10-2009, 2:38 PM
I knew of an SDPD detective (he was teaching a AOJ college class I was taking) that got charged for discharge of a weapon and shooting at a dwelling for shooting his neighbor's dog that was mauling his cat. Never did hear the outcome of the trial though, but he did get charged.

Decoligny
12-10-2009, 2:40 PM
one word:

okay more than one word.

Not smart. Were talking felony not smart here. Silencers (yes a 2 liter bottle duct taped to the muzzle is a sliencer) are highly illegal in California.

Decoligny
12-10-2009, 2:42 PM
why so serious? :p

Because some people see advice here and actually take it.

Your advice is to commit a Federal Offense.

Bad Idea.

hoozaru
12-10-2009, 2:51 PM
high powered (legally silenced) air rifle (if your city allows air rifle)

crossbow, at least 100lb, otherwise coyos might not die immediately

BIGCHRIS
12-10-2009, 2:54 PM
First I would call to report it with animal control,just so they know there is a problem, I am not saying this will cover your *** 100% but it may help if you have to shoot it.

hoozaru
12-10-2009, 2:57 PM
First I would call to report it with animal control,just so they know there is a problem, I am not saying this will cover your *** 100% but it may help if you have to shoot it.

and you think our welfare state animal control would do anything about it other than showing up two weeks after your dog has been eaten?

sideshowhr
12-10-2009, 3:01 PM
Because some people see advice here and actually take it.

Your advice is to commit a Federal Offense.

Bad Idea.

wasn't advice, chief.

it's what is commonly referred to as a 'joke'. a steven seagal approved joke mind you.

be it as it may, here's a disclaimer:

if you take it upon yourself to take said joke and apply it in real life, you are a nincompoop. :p

Seesm
12-10-2009, 3:03 PM
I would say it will stir some stuff up but if it is saving the life of your animal or yourself I think go for it...

BIGCHRIS
12-10-2009, 3:08 PM
and you think our welfare state animal control would do anything about it other than showing up two weeks after your dog has been eaten?
You missed what I was trying to say, the point I was getting at was that they would have it on file that you called about a coyote,that is all.

CHS
12-10-2009, 4:32 PM
.22lr bolt rifle with a CB cap or the aguila colibri's right to the coyote's dome.

The dogs barking will be much louder than any gunshot you'll hear.

aermotor
12-10-2009, 4:54 PM
.22lr bolt rifle with a CB cap or the aguila colibri's right to the coyote's dome.

That's pretty cool... what's the velocity difference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky-SPLXDaEU

IsaacGlass
12-10-2009, 5:20 PM
Shoot the yote with a paint ball gun if you have one.

tyrist
12-10-2009, 7:20 PM
No you cannot shoot a coyote in your backyard to protect property within city limits.

HowardW56
12-10-2009, 7:40 PM
Shoot the Coyote, put your guns away, and don't talk to anyone about it...

novabrian
12-10-2009, 7:58 PM
Shoot the coyote...light some loud fireworks, then if questioned say damn neighbor kids and there firecrackers.

jaymz
12-10-2009, 8:00 PM
Can you? Yeah.
Should you? Probably not.

RookieShooter
12-10-2009, 9:02 PM
The best solution here is to have a baseball bat handy. If any coyote ever jump into my backyard, I'm going to give it a few good whacks in the head and that should solve the problem. No need to use firearm. :)

Saym14
12-10-2009, 9:24 PM
The best solution here is to have a baseball bat handy. If any coyote ever jump into my backyard, I'm going to give it a few good whacks in the head and that should solve the problem. No need to use firearm. :)

good advice but they move REALLY fast. I was thinking 410 with buckshot. and yes I would likely have a clear shot without danger of hitting others. :chris:

the dog is 12 weeks old. when grown she should be 70. I guess it sounds like to be safe only shoot the coyote if I fear for my life or my kids life. :(

or just run in the house and be safe and leave the pup to get eaten. :confused:

sd1023x
12-10-2009, 9:25 PM
but it was coming straight for us!

MikeinnLA
12-10-2009, 10:05 PM
my city law says its illegal to discharge a firearm in the city limits. If a coyote jumps my fence and tries to attack my dog can I shoot it? anyone know?

If your wife is bleeding to death and you're driving her to the hospital, is it OK to exceed the speed limit? Just shoot the damn coyote....or watch your dog get eaten.:eek:

Mike

SJgunguy24
12-10-2009, 10:19 PM

Colibri's are pretty weak, it's the heaviest bullet with a primer only, somewhere around 500fps IIRC.
A Gamo whisper in 22 would be a better bet. I'd go with a compound bow and a call. Sit on the roof and wait for your shot.

BlackViper
12-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Just shoot it for christ's sake, what has this country come to?

If someone makes an issue of it - call the news and get your story on there with your kid crying about watching your puppy get mauled by a mouth-frothing vicious wild animal. Get a shot of how it happened right next to your kid's sandbox or something. DA won't touch you with the public support that would yield.

norcal77
12-10-2009, 10:39 PM
No you cannot shoot a coyote in your backyard to protect property within city limits.

^^Advice that should be followed

a1c
12-10-2009, 11:33 PM

You can if you're a licensed hunter, if it's daylight and if you respect the local ordinances and DFG regulations (distance from other buildings, etc.).

Otherwise, you're going to have to call animal control or the DFG.

Coyote attacks on humans or pets close to their owners are relatively rare (89 attacks recorded in CA between 1979 and 2003). If that's a problem in your area, call the local DFG wardens. They will also offer advice on how to deal with them.

roadwarrior1971
12-10-2009, 11:52 PM
CA has been legislated into wussification

Alaric
12-11-2009, 12:09 AM
Colibris are too weak to cycle almost any semi-auto .22 and have even been known to stovepipe in barrels at times.

Much better are the Aguila Sniper Sub-Sonics (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=461399). They're powerful enough to cycle my GSG-5SD, but quiet enough to sound like little more than an air rifle.

In my neighborhood we have packs of coyotes that walk the roads in broad daylight. Anyone that has a cat or small dog left is smart enough not to allow it outside of a fenced yard.

Saym14
12-11-2009, 2:08 PM
^^Advice that should be followed

got it - what if its to protect my families life?

WeekendWarrior
12-11-2009, 2:34 PM
WWRTW

Jbox
12-11-2009, 2:41 PM

Thats what I ws thinking. I see them in my neighborhood all the time what do they weigh 45 ponunds???? It would be a waste of ammo in my opinion.

monaghan
12-11-2009, 2:42 PM
Before you shoot you have to yell, HE'S COMIN RIGHT AT US!

a1c
12-11-2009, 3:01 PM
got it - what if its to protect my families life?

It"s legal to shoot it if your life or someone else's is in danger - it also applies to mountain lions or other predators.

Johnny Diablo
12-11-2009, 3:13 PM
If your wife is bleeding to death and you're driving her to the hospital, is it OK to exceed the speed limit? Just shoot the damn coyote....or watch your dog get eaten.:eek:

Mike

You must call 911, wait on hold for a millenia then wait for an Ambulance to make it out to you to rush the bleeding wife to the hospital.

It was on dateline that some parents got convicted for the death of thier kid. They drove their kid to the hospital instead of calling 911.

Drag the coyote carcass in the house and claim that it was self defense.

GrizzlyGuy
12-11-2009, 4:29 PM
I'm not offering an opinion as to whether you can shoot that coyote or not, but there is this interesting tidbit in California Food & Agricultural Code (http://law.onecle.com/california/food/31152.html):

Any person may kill any dog in any area of a county in which
the provisions of this article apply in any of the following cases:

(a) The dog is found in the act of killing, wounding, or
persistently pursuing livestock or poultry on land or premises not
owned or possessed by the owner of the dog.
(b) The dog has no readily visible identification tag or license
tag prescribed by Section 30951 and is worrying livestock or poultry
on land or premises not owned or possessed by the owner of the dog.
If the dog has on him any readily visible identification tag or
license tag prescribed by Section 30951, and the dog is found in the
act of worrying livestock or poultry on land or premises not owned or
possessed by the owner of the dog, the dog may only be killed if the
dog has, and the owner has been notified that the dog has,
previously so worried livestock or poultry.
(c) The person has such proof as conclusively shows that the dog
has been recently engaged in killing or wounding livestock or poultry
on land or premises not owned or possessed by the dog's owner.
No action, civil or criminal, shall be maintained for killing a
dog as authorized by this section.

I grew up on a sheep ranch, and we had to shoot dogs far more often than we liked to. :(

Saym14
12-12-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm not offering an opinion as to whether you can shoot that coyote or not, but there is this interesting tidbit in California Food & Agricultural Code (http://law.onecle.com/california/food/31152.html):

I grew up on a sheep ranch, and we had to shoot dogs far more often than we liked to. :(

PERFECT!!!! my daughter is hatching chicks for a science project. yes, officer the poultry were worried!

Echidin
12-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Get two Rottweiler and lure the coyotes back in. :)

a1c
12-12-2009, 11:51 AM
PERFECT!!!! my daughter is hatching chicks for a science project. yes, officer the poultry were worried!

It's perfectly legal in CA to shoot coyotes, domestic dogs or other predators if they're attacking any kind of livestock, including a chicken coop.

youpock
12-12-2009, 1:24 PM
When I lived in Castro Valley, which is technically a town not a city, a deer came into my back yard and charged at the dog, bucked him once and then I shot it twice with 12g bean bags. It knocked the deer out, animal control came and took it away. I told the police what happened they didn't even file a report. Said I used non-lethal ammo so there wasn't a need to. It was in 2004. I don't know any of the logistics or laws just my experience.

Stormfeather
12-12-2009, 3:44 PM
Ummm.........2 words, Federal offense.

LOL, true dat!

Saym14
12-12-2009, 3:49 PM
When I lived in Castro Valley, which is technically a town not a city, a deer came into my back yard and charged at the dog, bucked him once and then I shot it twice with 12g bean bags. It knocked the deer out, animal control came and took it away. I told the police what happened they didn't even file a report. Said I used non-lethal ammo so there wasn't a need to. It was in 2004. I don't know any of the logistics or laws just my experience.

nice and a good ending.

Saym14
12-12-2009, 3:51 PM
2 words for you: GAMO WHISPER! You should be able to kill a yote with that close range and its an airgun.

I doubt it would kill it with one shot? :confused:

xibunkrlilkidsx
12-12-2009, 10:37 PM
wasn't advice, chief.

it's what is commonly referred to as a 'joke'. a steven seagal approved joke mind you.

be it as it may, here's a disclaimer:

if you take it upon yourself to take said joke and apply it in real life, you are a nincompoop. :p

lol. if i jump off a bridge would you because i told you to?

Bow of some sort FTW.

mgbebout
12-13-2009, 8:04 AM
I killed one with a RWS 34 from 20yds with one heart and lung shot.I doubt it would kill it with one shot? :confused:

cannon
12-13-2009, 8:35 AM
Coyote wandering around your backyard. Yell and shout it will go away.

Coyote stalking or chewing on your dog. Assuming you have a safe backdrop. Shoot. One shot is a backfire. Two or more shots gets the police called.

If you do shoot do the next to "S's" Shovel and shut up. Life is easier when you don't have to explain things to authorities.

Saym14
12-13-2009, 10:39 AM
I killed one with a RWS 34 from 20yds with one heart and lung shot.

ok - so like they say shot placement is everything

Quiet
12-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Coyotes can carry rabies which is deadly to people.
Coyotes are non-game animals and can be taken at any time of day/year.
Shooting a coyote is not discharging a firearm into anything that is prohibited.
Therefore...
Call 911 and then shoot the coyote.

Penal Code 12031
(j)(1) Nothing in this section is intended to preclude the carrying of any loaded firearm, under circumstances where it would otherwise be lawful, by a person who reasonably believes that the person or property of himself or herself or of another is in immediate, grave danger and that the carrying of the weapon is necessary for the preservation of that person or property. As used in this subdivision, "immediate" means the brief interval before and after the local law enforcement agency, when reasonably possible, has been notified of the danger and before the arrival of its assistance.

Penal Code 246
Any person who shall maliciously and willfully discharge a firearm at an inhabited dwelling house, occupied building, occupied motor vehicle, occupied aircraft, inhabited housecar, as defined in Section 362 of the Vehicle Code, or inhabited camper, as defined in Section 243 of the Vehicle Code, is guilty of a felony, and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for three, five, or seven years, or by imprisonment in the county jail for a term of not less than six months and not exceeding one year.
As used in this section, "inhabited" means currently being used for dwelling purposes, whether occupied or not.

okimreloaded
12-13-2009, 11:42 AM
crossbow

bambam8d1
12-13-2009, 11:46 AM
do what i do... like a real man.... go to butcher, get some raw meat and drench yourself in blood.... then lay in yourbackyard with your buck knife.... when mr yote comes a creepin... Bam. pop up and cut him in half...

youpock
12-13-2009, 6:32 PM
Penal Code 246
Any person who shall maliciously and willfully discharge a firearm at an inhabited dwelling house, occupied building, occupied motor vehicle, occupied aircraft, inhabited housecar, as defined in Section 362 of the Vehicle Code, or inhabited camper, as defined in Section 243 of the Vehicle Code, is guilty of a felony, and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for three, five, or seven years, or by imprisonment in the county jail for a term of not less than six months and not exceeding one year.

You're gonna have to have made some pretty big enemies to get someone to count murdering a ravenous coyote as maliciously discharge. Wasn't this law initially made to stop morons from like firing into the air; like at new years and stuff?

capitol
12-13-2009, 7:12 PM
2 words for you: GAMO WHISPER! You should be able to kill a yote with that close range and its an airgun.

Really?! Have you tried this brilliant 2 word plan?

This one was shot in the neck with a .223 40gr v-max at almost point blank range. He still ran 15 yards.

0FoQmJZ-K8g

Thipdar
07-02-2013, 12:37 AM
It occurs to me that there are several aspects to this issue.

First of all, like any confrontation, you need to live through it before you try to figure out how you screwed up. Talking about it in a forum like this beforehand might help you make a better decision in a crisis. Perhaps.

Secondly, the last time I checked, the California laws allowed use of any reasonable force to defend one's self, family members, guests, employees, pets and livestock from this sort of situation. Unfortunately, "reasonable force" is a debatable point, and some officers will arrest you for using reasonable force and leave it to a court decide if you were right or wrong.

Third, what is allowed by state law is sometimes overruled by local ordinances. While you may be acting lawfully to protect your pet(s), the way you do so may be prohibited under the local municiple code.

I'm a big fan of asking for permission rather than asking for forgiveness. Because we have had a recent mountain lion sighting (within 1000 yards of my house) and an even more recent coyote sighting (six houses up the block), and because we live within the city limits, I'll be checking with the local police to see what's allowed and what's not.

I like the idea of non-lethal force. I just don't want to have to drive to Verdi, Nevada, to get rubber bullets for my shotgun.

Findout
07-02-2013, 1:12 AM
I just bumped a three and a half year old dead thread needlessly.

Really?

sindominator
07-02-2013, 1:36 AM
Dude, just call the cops (none emergency) and ask if you can shoot it. Tell them he fought the dog the other day and keeps on returning. Get the name of the officer whom you speak with. Or call fish and game and get the real stew on your county/city/town.

Or

Some how get a hold of bear, wolf or other larger predator piss and spread near the area were it enters. He will sniff it and know that tehe territory has been marked by something that can kick its ***. :shrug:

joehansan
07-02-2013, 1:56 AM
OP...

I may be the newer guy here but you will thank me later. Read carefully...

As you can see by the variety of posts to your original question, there is no clear answer you will find within this thread OR entire forum. Period.

The right answer has indeed been posted but I will NOT reveal the poster or their answer. YOU must find the right answer yourself by consulting the proper authority in person or at least on the phone. Hint: the authority represents a larger geographical area than the typical town/city. Referring to written replies from a forum is no legal defense or justification.

Trusting (some) of the machismo BS in here WILL get you in trouble and you CAN LOSE your right to possess a firearm as a result.

Of note.... a single coyote is rarely if ever a threat to canines (to back up a poster in this thread). Coyotes work in packs. The best ADVICE (not the answer I suspect you were looking for and NOT the answer to your original question) were many of the posts NOT involving the use of a firearm. Throw rocks, yell, problem solved.

Let the flame war (on me) begin. I will not respond further.

TeddyBallgame
07-02-2013, 2:09 AM
when I lived in Hancock Park a number of years ago, took a evening stroll and actually walked right up to a coyote...thought it was a dog at first, searching through some trash...when he raised his head and saw me, I'm sure we both had one of those WTF moments

most coyotes don't like to interact with humans, unless, they are just so hungry they don't give a sh** anymore

so, after our momentary stare down of each other, he decided to haul a** and that was fine with me

xxINKxx
07-02-2013, 6:07 AM
I live in Anaheim hills. Yesterday saw a huge coyote while I was on my bike waiting for the red light to turn green right by my neighborhood. It walked right past me on the intersection cross walk, walked right by a guy walking his dog, and kept walking down the sidewalk and j walked in front of some cars like he didn't give a F. Kinda funny. I see them all the time walking down the street in broad day light, so common that no one really does anything, and they would run away if you tried to walk up to it. My parents house is on an acre near by and they hop the 7 foot wall and cut through and chill. Never bother anyone, unless you have outside cats.

I think it would be pretty cool to have one as a pet if you got it as a pup lol.

Barbarosa
07-02-2013, 6:28 AM
+1 on the Remington Cbee caps in a lever or bolt gun or long barrel revolver. I've got a small ranch and use them all the time for varmits. Out of a lever gun they are quieter than my old Sheridan Blue Streak air rifle but really pack a wallop. Up close with good placement = dead coyote.

EDIT: Jeeze, I gotta start learning to read the dates on the OP.

NOTABIKER
07-02-2013, 6:33 AM
let him be, that is his home. live and let live.bad carma to shoot it.:)

AGGRO
07-02-2013, 6:38 AM
A bow out to 40 yards no problem. Good Karma to remove pet vacuums.

chrisf
07-02-2013, 6:52 AM
I would. I dont care about discharging a gun to defend my dog.

SSS

golfish
07-02-2013, 8:27 AM
The OP's dog and visiting coyote have probably already died of old age.

SB1964
07-02-2013, 1:20 PM
Do it right, the answer is yes! If you love FB & social media, I would say don't bother.

Echidin
07-02-2013, 2:50 PM
Get a bigger dog :)

+1. Any coyotes jumping into my backyard likely won't be making it back out. :eek:

dozer99
07-02-2013, 4:16 PM
If you have to ask, then - NO!

Tri750
07-02-2013, 7:58 PM
I keep a mag of Remington subsonics in my 22A for predators and varmints. 10 rounds should ruin any Coyote's, Possums, Gopher snakes day. It cycles fine with a hushed Pitooey! Pitooey!

fremont lapua
07-02-2013, 9:26 PM
one word:

okay more than one word.

I don't think this will work, but would like to see Mythbusters try it. Also it was a .45 1911 I believe not a .22 in the movie.

xibunkrlilkidsx
07-02-2013, 9:34 PM
On shot is always a car backfiring.

Burlaka
07-02-2013, 9:51 PM
Not smart. Were talking felony not smart here. Silencers (yes a 2 liter bottle duct taped to the muzzle is a sliencer) are highly illegal in California.

Its obviously humor, and its not a "silencer". Its a suppressor.
-_-

Czsp-01-9mm
07-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Learn to throw a Spear, sad when you can't protect your own animals without coming under fire from local pd

send it_hit
07-03-2013, 1:20 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2v3lijq.jpg

...'choot 'im.

send it_hit
07-03-2013, 1:22 PM

that's crazy. good to see you still posting, youpock! ;)

Captiontom
07-03-2013, 2:27 PM
Get a 22 air rifle with s legal silencer, a cross bow or just shoot it with a .22. No one will hear a .22 and think it's a gun if you only shoot once.

SNCaliber
07-03-2013, 4:05 PM
I was gonna say high velocity air rifle, bow, or crossbow

MichaelKent
07-10-2013, 2:51 PM
I'm glad I used the search feature rather than start a new thread. ;P

There have been coyotes wandering my parents' area in daylight and just the other day one or more got into our yard (apparently jumping over a low spot in the gate) and massacred all 8 of our pet chickens... I'm now worried that they will come back and the cat will be in danger (as well as replacement chickens we'll get).

Would the posted food and agriculture code still apply if all of our chickens are dead (killed by said coyotes) and we're shooting the coyotes to prevent future losses from the chickens we plan to get?

Since the tragedy my father has kept his S&W 686 nearby loaded with .357 magnum hollow points (rounds I gave him for self defense)... He's never fired the gun though and it'll be too loud for our neighbors, so I plan to lend him my GSG-5. >_<

olhunter
07-12-2013, 3:11 PM
On shot is always a car backfiring.

lol...when's the last time you heard a car backfire? 1974?

oh...you're in Escondido. Ok, maybe. :D

Anyhooo....what if you shoot it and it doesn't die? Just hops the wall and now you've got a wounded wild animal in your neighborhood and you don't know where it went. Now you're going to have to tell someone cause you gotta find that coyote before it mauls some kid.

SB1964
07-12-2013, 3:31 PM
lol...when's the last time you heard a car backfire? 1974?

oh...you're in Escondido. Ok, maybe. :D

Anyhooo....what if you shoot it and it doesn't die? Just hops the wall and now you've got a wounded wild animal in your neighborhood and you don't know where it went. Now you're going to have to tell someone cause you gotta find that coyote before it mauls some kid.

This dude gets it! The fuggin thing will likely not drop where you hit it, But in your Treehuggers yard! Now you got some "splainin" to do, or ditch that barrel, lol.

Noonanda
07-12-2013, 6:51 PM
You can if you're a licensed hunter, if it's daylight and if you respect the local ordinances and DFG regulations (distance from other buildings, etc.).

Otherwise, you're going to have to call animal control or the DFG.

Coyote attacks on humans or pets close to their owners are relatively rare (89 attacks recorded in CA between 1979 and 2003). If that's a problem in your area, call the local DFG wardens. They will also offer advice on how to deal with them.

Cant remember where I saw it (might have been Varmint Al's), but Coyote attacks on pets and humans has increased dramatically in the last few years

here are a few articles
http://www.varmintal.com/attac.htm
http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/05/28/coyote-attacks-colorado-hazing

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2013/07/10/Coyote-Attacks-Rising-in-San-Jose-Suburb.

I say use the 3 S's

SanDiegoMan
07-12-2013, 8:08 PM
Really?! Have you tried this brilliant 2 word plan?

This one was shot in the neck with a .223 40gr v-max at almost point blank range. He still ran 15 yards.

0FoQmJZ-K8g

If its runnin its not killing your dog right?

StuckInTheP.R.O.Ca
07-12-2013, 8:26 PM
Put your dog inside the house then call the police. When the Police come they will then shoot the coyote thinking its a dog as its running away. Make sure you don't have anything around that you don't want bullet holes in. Also make sure you put your dog where they wont find him.

sigstroker
07-12-2013, 9:23 PM
Do you have any small childern? "The Coyote tried to attack my son/daughter."
Get a compound bow and some broadheads.

There ya go.

http://www.thedarewall.com/tv/thumbs/show_c42973114c039b7344c84d89512f790a.jpg

sigstroker
07-12-2013, 9:29 PM
I'm glad I used the search feature rather than start a new thread. ;P

There have been coyotes wandering my parents' area in daylight and just the other day one or more got into our yard (apparently jumping over a low spot in the gate) and massacred all 8 of our pet chickens... I'm now worried that they will come back and the cat will be in danger (as well as replacement chickens we'll get).

Would the posted food and agriculture code still apply if all of our chickens are dead (killed by said coyotes) and we're shooting the coyotes to prevent future losses from the chickens we plan to get?

Since the tragedy my father has kept his S&W 686 nearby loaded with .357 magnum hollow points (rounds I gave him for self defense)... He's never fired the gun though and it'll be too loud for our neighbors, so I plan to lend him my GSG-5. >_<

Coyotes are tough, a .22 won't do the job.

rice_man
07-13-2013, 7:12 AM
Sort of related story - this guy was not charged for killing his neighbor's a pit bull with a shotgun when it attacked him and his dog in his front yard. I guess the difference here is that he was definitely defending himself and not just his dog

http://fox5sandiego.com/2013/07/01/pit-bull-shot-killed-in-valencia-park/#axzz2Yw0bowSA

Ken Woodford
07-13-2013, 7:22 AM
.22 CB rounds. 29 grs at 750 FPs out of a rifle sound like a BB guns. At that short range it will do the job.

It is illegal still I will add.

You should also have a hunting license

Ken Woodford
07-13-2013, 7:23 AM
Coyotes are tough, a .22 won't do the job.

At 40 to 50 feet... the average width of a house...yes they will.

SonofWWIIDI
07-13-2013, 7:24 AM
Hope your family and dogs stay safe!

http://www.sgammo.com/product/aguila/500-round-brick-22-lr-colibri-powderless-low-noise-ammo-20-grain-bullet-not-semi-auto

BigPimping
07-13-2013, 8:27 AM
Subsonic rounds, bury it, keep mouth shut.

glockman19
07-13-2013, 8:58 AM
Article 1, Section 1 of the California Constitution state your inalieable rights in California.

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 1 DECLARATION OF RIGHTS

SECTION 1. All people are by nature free and independent and have
inalienable rights. Among these are enjoying and defending life and
liberty, acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and pursuing
and obtaining safety, happiness, and privacy.

As Pets are considered property I believe the State Constitution trumps local ordinances an I believe it is LEGAL to shoot a coyote on your property to protect your self and property.

NOW, in practice, you will be brought up on charges of at very least unlawful discharging a firearm within city limits...also confiscation of ALL firearms.

CA law is really f'd up.

CenterMass90068
07-18-2013, 7:50 PM
Crossbow....

saki302
07-19-2013, 12:33 AM
12 gauge.

I heard a noise and went outside to investigate when the thing charged me, so I killed it, officer.

-Dave

hambam105
07-19-2013, 12:35 AM
can I shoot a coyote in my backyard?

I don't know, can you? Remember, don't yank the trigger.

omnitravis
07-19-2013, 8:03 AM
one word:

okay more than one word.

Steven Segal taught hapkido to al-qaeda, that is why they're are so deadly.

Dooligan
07-19-2013, 9:15 AM
Ninja stars.

OneFunGuy
07-19-2013, 7:07 PM
I shot a coyote in my pajamas once ...

...how he got in there I'll never know!

OneFunGuy
07-19-2013, 7:11 PM
So I sez to the guy ...

Is that a coyote in your pants or are you just happy to see me?

OneFunGuy
07-19-2013, 7:13 PM
A rabbi, an Irishman and a coyote are in a rowboat ...

OneFunGuy
07-19-2013, 7:14 PM
Never Mind.

dmcmillenfv
07-19-2013, 7:42 PM
CA has been legislated into wussification

^^^^^^^^^^
This!!!! Just shoot the dang thing... The worst that can happen is the da not file on such a insignificant thing. I believe with all the Travon "rally's" the da should be busy with real crime.

jeremiah12
07-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Do what the gangbangers do around my area, set off a few packs of fire crackers at the same time or shortly after the gunfire. It makes everyone in the neighborhood think it was all fire crackers including the local LEOs. It works most of the time.