PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight as a gift for women?

yellowfin
12-09-2009, 7:41 PM
I'm shopping for my wife's Christmas present and something that came to my mind immediately is a top rate flashlight like a Surefire or Fenix. Why? Good question. First, her new job has her driving a lot and with the daylight hours getting shorter and shorter these days she's going to see some darkness more and more so it's going to be part of her daily routine. Second she likes shiny objects like watches, nice pens, etc., stuff that goes in her purse, so a premium flashlight is a great accessory. Third, she's a tough and practical lady who likes to feel capable and it's a great tool to have. Fourth, she seems to always want to have a flashlight on hand for EVERYTHING, from finding fallen keys or change in the gap between the washing machine and the wall or between the car seat and the center console, looking at bugs to determine if they're harmful, to examining anything tiny up close even the hairs on the top of my head. Dark night conditions often make her jittery--that's one of the first things she tells me-- so naturally light seems to be her friend. Bad weather on the radar? Guess what's first on the list: find the flashlights. It seems like illumination is a very comforting thing.

So do you like flashlights? Carry one with you regularly? If so, what kind do you have, if you notice? Would having a better one be something you'd enjoy more? Would a nice one impress you?

This won't be the only present I get her, not by any means, but I'm thinking this might be a good one. I have other sure winners in the bag already like Bath and Body Works lotion and fuzzy PJ's. What are your thoughts?

pax
12-09-2009, 8:40 PM
These days a Surefire E1B goes with me because it's the smallest, the 6Z, 6P and L4 stay at home now. The 6Z (with LED upgrade) does go to the range, it was my first. I was turned onto Surefire 10 or so years ago by a friend's husband who was a Surefire instructor.

If you really want to impress, can't go wrong with the T1A Titan! But the L1 is almost as small as an E1B. Small is important if you are actually going to carry it with you on a daily basis. Also I usually use the silver E1B because it is easier to find inside a purse (less tactical-looking, too.)

I have a Streamlight in my car kit, and just ordered a little keychain Fenix because it was on a closeout sale.

domokun
12-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Olight T-10.

yellowfin
12-10-2009, 6:21 AM
Thanks everyone! I looked into the Surefire but holy Moses what a budget smasher. I found a Fenix P2D on sale for $35 and that's going to fit the budget nicely for now, maybe get her a Surefire for her next b-day.

Steyrlp10
12-10-2009, 11:45 AM
That's very thoughtful of you, and I certainly understand the lack of daylight while driving. I come home on the Silverado Trail after work, taking me about 1.5 hours to get back because of the traffic. I have a purple Maglight because it's a chick color - lol

If you pair up the flashlight gift with something more personal and of a foo-foo nature, I'm sure she'll love you for it.

However, I caution you not to buy her a blender. That killed my last marriage.

I would have been happier with an ASP! (But since my current squeeze bought me a Colt .45, I'm a happy camper!)

Angie
12-10-2009, 8:13 PM
A flashlight is better as a stocking stuffer...

but as Steyrlp10 said, pair it up with something a little more meaningful (to her) and/or more luxurious and less utilitarian...and you should be fine ;)

louscamaro91
12-10-2009, 10:49 PM
Angie nailed it...my wife would nail me to the wall if all I got her was a flashlight. Diamonds are a women's best friend and so is that hot pink AK she's been asking about! One more BP and it should be ready for her.

Richie Caketown
12-13-2009, 12:49 AM
might i suggest this one?

http://www.rayovac.com/flashlight/SportsmanExtreme_sef2aa-b.shtml

i left it in my moms car one day and next day she tried to tell me she was gonna take it over since she liked it so much. Its rugged flashlight , 100 lumens , 2AA( no cr123s) , adjustable source , on/off on rear , can do constant or momentary

battleship
12-13-2009, 12:57 AM
A flashlight as a christmas gift, wow talk about scoring points, (NOT) might as well get her that 6 slice toaster.
Might want to rethink this one or buy the flash light for yourself and tell her she can use it anytime, which might be your plan from the begining.

axhoaxho
12-14-2009, 4:21 PM
I bought my sister a Surefire E2D LED Defender. She appreciates it and keeps it in her purse.

Regards,

OHOD
12-14-2009, 6:02 PM
I wouldn't mind a flashlight. Just be sure it had a crenelated bezel and a pointed end cap.

Lyte-
12-14-2009, 6:54 PM
Honestly I think if my boyfriend gave me a flashlight for Christmas he would be spending the next several months sleeping on the couch.

cal3gunner
12-14-2009, 7:36 PM
I bought my sister a Surefire E2D LED Defender. She appreciates it and keeps it in her purse.

Regards,

Same thing here, I'm giving my sister a E2D LED Defender for christmas. At her work she isn't allowed to have weapons so I figured she would like this.

AndrewMendez
12-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Honestly I think if my boyfriend gave me a flashlight for Christmas he would be spending the next several months sleeping on the couch.

Ouch!
HE said it was not the only gift! But, I think my gf would flip if I didn't buy her something that came in a little overpriced blue box!;)

Lyte-
12-15-2009, 6:15 PM
Okay if it wasn't the only gift then I would think "random, I guess he waited till the last minute to buy X mas Gifts again, the next gift better me something I actually want!"

yellowfin
12-18-2009, 11:46 AM
I did something interesting to make sure my idea would work. I picked up keychain size Maglites as stocking stuffers for her family and she was immediately interested when I showed them to her. I told her it was something I figured everyone could use and comes in handy almost daily, and she agreed and said it was a great idea and wished I'd gotten her one...

Little does she know.... :D

SoCalDep
12-29-2009, 7:31 PM
A little late for christmas, but since this is a flashlight thread, I'll put in my $.02, which is worth about a couple cents less than that...

My wife tried a couple lights and ended up with a Fenix E01...It works well, is plenty bright for most utility tasks, and she was able to pick a cool color. We ordered it from the 4sevens web sight.

Another light worth looking at is the Streamlight MicroStream. I have one and I LOVE it! It's a single mode with a nice rear switch. It will do momentary (tactical) and constant-on, is bright enough to identify/illuminate a target across a dark movie theater, and has plenty of light to find that friggin french fry that fell under the seat! I also have an Inova T1 (I think it's called...the 25 lumen one from Target) and it's nice but I like the MicroStream's switch better and the MS has a clip.

If you really loved her though you'd get her a Surefire X300 attached to the rail on a Nighthawk 1911...Anything less and you're sandbagging it!

(HA!)

cherishedtiger
02-11-2010, 8:09 PM
I have a purple Maglight because it's a chick color - lol

Ok I gotta find me one of those!!! :D

hamsalad
02-11-2010, 8:15 PM
Eagle-Tac T100C2 MarkII which are similar to the Fenix TK10/11/12 series, but less expensive. Awesome performance and durability.

I have 2 and swear by them. Surefire is sure pricey and I think they under perform for the $$ spent. There...I said it.

Dooly
04-17-2010, 7:36 PM
Buy her a bag and flashlight so she wont be too mad if you were to just buy her flashlight.

PM720
04-20-2010, 8:06 PM
Geez, I always heard it was the THOUGHT that counts! ;):)

Scott

8bitnintendo
04-20-2010, 8:43 PM
A flashlight is an awesome gift, I would be perfectly happy to get a good flashlight as a present. Of course, I've got a ton of them around (hiking headlamps, penlights, minimaglights, dive lights...) so it'd have to somehow be a practical size I don't already own.

For the applications you describe, a nice bright LED flashlight in a medium size sounds like a good bet.

winnre
04-21-2010, 7:38 AM
Why does she need a flashlight? Did the light in the stove burn out?

/me ducks

novabrian
04-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Sure Fire stuff is ridiculously over priced.I'm not say it's not a great product but c'mon it's just a flash light.

Sicarius
04-28-2010, 9:16 PM
I gave my ex a surefire L4 because she had late classes at UCSC and its pretty damn dark out there at night... it wasn't for any special occasion.
Kevin

GunLover
06-10-2010, 12:31 PM
I bought a flashlight and a stungun wifes Bday once. She was pissed. So i went out and got her some gold and she forgave me.

daskraut
06-10-2010, 10:04 PM
my wife is obsessed with flashlights!. We bought the costco tactical set and she loves hers like I love mine.

OHOD
07-13-2010, 7:10 PM
Here is my flashlight list...

Maglite D-cell stays arms length from my bed
Maglite C-cell stays in my truck
Minimaglite AA x 2 (red and black) 1- on my desk, 1- in my go bag
Gerber AA multicolor LED Red, White, Blue, Green stays on my desk
Gerber Omnivore, stays in my purse
Head lamps x2 (Petzl), 1-for the motorcycle kit, 1-for camping and hiking
Mini-squeeze key chain lights, 1-for work, 1-for MC kit, 1-for hiking.

I know, too much information.

V8toytruck
07-24-2010, 1:06 AM
My gf uses her Fenix LD01 a lot...best price is usually on Amazon or Fenix-Store