PDA

View Full Version : Strongside Hip carry versus Ankle carry

MidnightSon117
12-09-2009, 1:20 PM
I was looking at picking up a PM9, and I'm trying to decide on a holster for carrying on the hip versus ankle. I don't like carrying on pockets.

I thought ankle would be good, but I'm not sure how well the holsters out there work with boots. I'd be going in cold-weather/possibly snow, and boots would be the footwear I'd be using often in the winter.

I can also go strongside hip carry, but I'm not sure if getting a holster for such a small handgun would be overkill.

Anyone who's carried on the ankle care to comment? Thanks!

Cokebottle
12-09-2009, 1:31 PM
IMHO, ankle carry is for a backup. That's where you keep your "Oh scat gun".
You never know what situation will present itself, and a discreet ankle draw, to my uneducated mind, seems a contradiction.

You can go IWB if you don't wear tight pants, 2:00 or 4:00, or you could go cross-draw at 10:00 (assuming you're right handed). My feeling is that cross-draw from the waist or shoulder is more natural and more discreet than a strong-side draw, but this is just my intuition and remember that I have zero experience with CCW.

Advantage of IBW is only the butt is above the belt line, so a shorter jacket will provide concealment (a real issue for us taller guys). Disadvantage is that the shirt must generally be tucked in.
A shoulder rig eliminates both the tucking issue and the need for a longer jacket... but it is perhaps not as discreet as a cross-waist draw.

MidnightSon117
12-09-2009, 1:57 PM
I've ccw'ed before for long periods of time, with a big ol 226 on inside a VM-II. When I tried a VM-II made for a P9 (and so it fit the PM9 nicely), it seemed like an awful lot of holster for such a small gun, albeit stable and as rock-solid as ever.

I would actually carry on ankle holster since it's possible with the PM9, but the whole boot thing would make it a pain since the gun would be up around my calf. So I'm wondering what alternatives people have done while wearing boots and carrying on the ankle. Like, which boots are thinner. Carrying on the ankle to me seems even more easier to conceal than on a hip holster, especially in crowds.

I'm planning on getting both a strong-side hip carry and ankle holster. But I'll give the cross-draw holster a look, I just don't have much experience with them.

Buck'emDown78
12-09-2009, 2:28 PM
Since you have such a nice small gun as a PM9, it definitely wouldnt hurt to carry a la Suarez style at the 2o'clock position. It's more than discreet and much more accessible than strongside hip.

If you watch any Suarez tactical videos, if you get thrown into a wall or the floor and start struggling, you are more than likely NOT going to be able to draw as proficiently at the strongside.

Ask any LEO who's been in a ground tussle or wrestling on the floor, its really hard to get to your gun when can't fully extend your elbows or elbows are touching the floor. You won't be able to get back there. A LE buddy of mine says if you ever get mounted in a groundfight kinda like UFC, game over. You won't be able to reach your gun while gettin pommeled.

But its really your personal preference. As long as you train and practice alot with your preferred method, know the ups and downs of each style, etc. you should be good to go. If you've been carrying strong side your whole life, than maybe you should stick with what your body is comfortable with.

stormy_clothing
12-09-2009, 2:43 PM
A LE buddy of mine says if you ever get mounted in a groundfight kinda like UFC, game over.

Because they don't teach cops how to use the little tools mounted on there wrists instead ?

small of back - with a pistol that size offset a little to the right, you can conceal, draw and not injure yourself if you fall over.

Quiet
12-09-2009, 3:03 PM
If you are intent on ankle carry, get a good holster.

Best test is to holster it and then run around around your block. If it comes loose or you lose your gun, ankle carry with that handgun would be a no-go.

ColdDeadHands1
12-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Check out the Galco Ankle Glove for the PM9. They offer a boot extender and a calf strap if needed. It fits the PM9 perfectly and is comfortable to wear.

tacticalcity
12-10-2009, 12:22 AM
Downside to ankle is if the holster is secure enough to hold the gun for fast walking and running then it will be next to imposible to get to it and get the gun drawn quickly enough to deal with a threat. Remember, buy the time you realize you need the gun...you are way, way behind the curve. So unless you get lots of warning, you might as well not be carrying at all.

Downside to small of the back is if you fall back on it hard enough, you are paralized for life. Almost every fist fight starts off with one guy getting pushed or knocked straight on his back at some point, even if only briefly. Remember, you can't draw your gun and shoot him if it is one on one and he's not as big as Arnold. Assuming you won't end up on your back in a fight is pretty arrogant. The odds of a physical altercation are much higher than a gun fight, no matter how badly you wish to avoid them. So you should prepare for that as much as gun fight.

Downside to a shoulder holster is you are muzzeling everyone who walks behind you, and your own arm when you draw. Accidents do happen.

Downside to a pocket holster is you are muzzeling your own johnson, and one of your legs (everytime you step). Hit the femoral artery and you will likely bleed out before help arrives.

Safest bet is the straight drop hip holster. With a gun as small as the one you are looking at, odds are it won't print much at all. Personally I prefer the Blade-Tech Kydex Eclipse Series Holster pancake style holster. The sights don't snag the way they do on leather or nylon holsters, kydex makes for a smooth and fast draw, and it hugs the body so weapon doesn't print as much as it would with a normal kydex holster. Downside is, I don't think they make it for your desired handgun. But since your gun is so small, you can probably find a kydex holster for it that does not print much easier than I can for my Glock 19.

http://www.blade-tech.com/Eclipse-Series-Holster-pr-1207.html

http://www.blade-tech.com/product_images/d_717.jpg

CCWUSA
12-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Midnight,

Agreed. Ankle carry is for your BUG, not your primary defensive pistol. You will find more comfort and accessibility with a Strong Side Hip holster or appendix carry, if that works for you. While many manufacturers make strong-side IWB holsters, I do not know how many make one for the Kahr. You may have to look at a universal IWB holster, or a custom or semi-custom leather holster. I'm a big fan of kydex (G-Code from www.gunnersalley.com) or Bladetech, but again, I'm not sure if they are making holsters for Kahr's.

Regards,

DParker
12-10-2009, 12:54 PM
I carry a PM9 in a Comp-tac C-TAC (http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=61&osCsid=4cbc4) IWB holster. Can't say enough good things about it. It just disapears, even under a tee shirt.

If my pants are too tight for IWB, (it happens...) I use a Hume JIT (http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_reviews_info&products_id=53&reviews_id=6) OWB hoster. It holds it high and tight and functions well.

The PM9 is a great CCW choice in 9mm.

MidnightSon117
12-11-2009, 6:36 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I'll be looking at Kydex for IWB. And that Ankle Glove by Galco seems spot on for what I was looking for in ankle-carry in with boots. So many decisions, but I like holster-shopping. Merry Christmas to me and you folks too!!

CGK60
01-25-2010, 8:43 AM
I use a crossbreed holster on my strong side with a full size 1911, works great for me.