PDA

View Full Version : Recording CFLC's

SDProtection
12-09-2009, 1:59 PM
I was wondering how the other FFL's keep track of their CFLC's they receive then an out of state dealer sends them a firearm. I have been placing the copy in 4473/DROS packet and filing as a whole, but wondering if there is a smarter or more experienced way I should be doing this. Just one of those curiosity questions of the day...

Thanks!

halifax
12-09-2009, 2:10 PM
I have a little room left in my A/D book. I record the number there.

kemasa
12-09-2009, 3:08 PM
I keep the letter with the 4473 and other paperwork.

jksupplyco
12-09-2009, 4:34 PM
I have a little room left in my A/D book. I record the number there.

+1 on the A&D Book, I also retain the hardcopies in a central file folder, but just as a safeguard.

bear308
12-09-2009, 4:53 PM
+1 on the A&D Book, I also retain the hardcopies in a central file folder, but just as a safeguard.

This,
recorded in A&D log and keep a hard copy with invoice in a separate file.

RHT447
12-09-2009, 8:31 PM
I use A & D logs from R K Enterprises. First column on the acquisition side allows you to number your entries in sequence. I write the number(s) that apply on the CFLC hard copy and then keep the copies in a separate file. Keeps them out of the way, but keyed for easy reference.

TripleT
12-09-2009, 8:44 PM
I use an excel file for my a&d with a field for notes. I include the CFLC there. I also have two files for invoices from vendors, one for invoices with CFLC's and another file system for everything else. Keeps the CFLC invoice file easy to sort through, if needed.

tenpercentfirearms
12-09-2009, 9:15 PM
I do not retain the letters at all. I simply put the CFLC # underneath the address or FFL # on the acquisitions column. After three years, I think I will go through and purge them all! Just kidding.

They are permanent once they hit the A&D and they take up zero space and I don't have to track down a letter in a 4473 file. That there seems like an awful lot of work considering I might have a gun on the rack for months and then to put it in that 4473 packet? No thanks.

All you have to do is keep the number. Why keep anything else? Especially when you can have the shipper retrieve numbers from the software now too.

SDProtection
12-09-2009, 9:40 PM
Thanks all, your input helps. I think I am being a bit gun-shy (pun intended I guess) and keeping anything and everything just to cover my butt. Thanks again.

OCArmory
12-10-2009, 9:56 AM
I keep a seperate letter. I try not to mix Federal documents (A&D Book) with state documents (CFLC Letters).

TripleT
12-10-2009, 10:07 AM
I keep a seperate letter. I try not to mix Federal documents (A&D Book) with state documents (CFLC Letters).

Cool thing about excel, I can print whatever fields I want. If DOJ wants a file with what vendor / serial / cflc I can print a report with only that info.

Want 'em sorted by date,,, click and done. Want 'em sorted numerically, click and done.

One stop shopping... ;)

halifax
12-10-2009, 10:08 AM

Not all vendors send the actual letter, only the number.

tenpercentfirearms
12-11-2009, 6:45 AM

I just met with area supervisor Amy Johnson and she stated my adding the CFLC to the A&D was fine.

Cool thing about excel, I can print whatever fields I want. If DOJ wants a file with what vendor / serial / cflc I can print a report with only that info.

Want 'em sorted by date,,, click and done. Want 'em sorted numerically, click and done.

One stop shopping... ;)

Excellent idea.