PDA

View Full Version : iPhone + have to have Apps

pdq_wizzard
12-08-2009, 8:15 AM
Ok, I am getting an iPhone for my birthday next week, what are some have to have apps???

OHOD
12-08-2009, 8:19 AM
Pocket God

pdq_wizzard
12-08-2009, 8:25 AM
Pocket God

I just checked it out, I do have a question, is it wrong to laugh my a** watching to demo???? :eek:

QuarterBoreGunner
12-08-2009, 8:27 AM
Pocket God is fun. If you use Gmail you'll want the Google app. The Yelp app is pretty handy, SureFire has a simple shot timer tool which is pretty neat. Red Laser is awesome, it uses the iPhone camera to scan barcodes of different products and then checks prices and availability via Google and Amazon. I picked up 'Classics' for $2.99 I think, and it has 23 classic novels loaded on it; stuff like Treasure Island and HG Wells classics, The Art of War, Frankenstein, etc. Library in a pocket!

glockman19
12-08-2009, 8:30 AM
Ilike Ballistics. It turns your i-phone into a balliatics calculator.

robsolo
12-08-2009, 8:56 AM
Paper Toss, Boxed In, Fling, KidsZombies, Rolando 1+2, Amazon, eBay, Twittelator, Paypal, GuitarToolKit, PandoraBox

thefifthspeed
12-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Cydia + Winterboard

I had my iPhone less than a month before I jailbroke that sucker. I find it dumb that its hardware is capable of so much but the software keeps a vice grip on your balls. Now I enjoy multiple apps, customization, folders, 3rd party apps and tons more.

MrSlippyFist
12-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Be sure to get this ap

http://www.flashasylum.com/db/files/Comics/Rob/help.png (http://www.explosm.net/comics/1797/)
Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net (http://www.explosm.net/)

caoboy
12-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Ilike Ballistics. It turns your i-phone into a balliatics calculator.

There are 2 apps for this...is this the 2 dollar or 20 dollar app?

How effective is it?

Rynu
12-08-2009, 1:13 PM
Jailbreak it and get Installous.

pdq_wizzard
12-08-2009, 1:21 PM
Jailbreak it and get Installous.

work don't own my iPhone but I need to be able to connect it to the network so I don't think they would like it if I lost data because I did a Jailbreak. I am on the security team so that might look bad :eek:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2009/11/new-malicious-worm-attacks-jailbroken-iphones-using-known-vulnerability.html

FreedomIsNotFree
12-08-2009, 2:50 PM
There's a new app called "Mark the Spot" that allows iPhone users tell AT&T when they drop calls or have little to no data coverage.

hellraiser
12-08-2009, 4:00 PM
my brother just got a cool police scanner app...

JaMail
12-08-2009, 4:37 PM
jailbreak it

bookshelf.. i read on my iphone 2 hours a day on the train. compatible with webscription.net if you read sci fi.

qtweeter .. if you tweet or like updating your facebook account while mobile, its way better than any of the official updaters. you can run it while running other apps

rg_1111@yahoo.com
12-08-2009, 4:49 PM
Im not to impressed with my iphone. Battery go's dead to fast.

thefifthspeed
12-08-2009, 5:47 PM

You can turn off 3G and it lasts a good bit longer.

Also might be a bum battery. First phone I got only lasted 6 hours so I returned it. The one I have now lasts about 2 days.

JUNGALIST
12-08-2009, 6:51 PM
Doodlejump (so addicting)
Zombieville (great shooter)
FlightControl (2-players is fun)
Flood-it (free puzzle game)
Unblocked
Yelp
Minigore
ebay
Photobucket

The iPhone kicketh ***!

jarhead995
12-10-2009, 6:31 AM
doodle jump

best. game. ever.

2DoorImpala
12-11-2009, 3:44 AM
Tom Tom us and Canada.
I just downloaded monopoly and where's Waldo

riprap
12-11-2009, 3:45 PM
HP 11C emulator by RLM.

RPN rocks!

lpspinner
12-11-2009, 6:32 PM
PDAnet, iBlacklist, Facebook, Traffic, NYTimes, Shazam, Yelp..... just to name a few

mur
12-11-2009, 6:45 PM
Besides all the basic apps listed, "AroundMe" is the best Free App out there

mur
12-16-2009, 6:45 PM
Here is another

http://appshopper.com/utilities/crimereports

Stoopy
12-22-2009, 7:21 PM
FML and TWI my two favorites

aceventura
12-23-2009, 3:52 AM
Get the Surefire shot timer. It's free and works pretty good.

Foulball
12-23-2009, 6:45 AM
Besides all the basic apps listed, "AroundMe" is the best Free App out there

+1, I use it all the time.

I also have: GasBag, iSlots, Sol Free, Translator, Gun Rights and Urbanspoon (all free versions).

GP3
12-23-2009, 7:04 AM
If you use Gmail you'll want the Google app.

Can someone tell me why you need the Google App is when you can use Google Sync (http://www.google.com/mobile/products/sync.html#p=default)?

Not only that, but doesn't the phone already do everything the Google App does?

Enlighten me.

wylerf
12-23-2009, 7:16 AM
One of my personal favorite is iGolfAuthority. All the rules of golf easy to find and understand at your fingertips. Get it, it's the Bomb!

Wyler

Rynu
12-23-2009, 9:17 AM
work don't own my iPhone but I need to be able to connect it to the network so I don't think they would like it if I lost data because I did a Jailbreak. I am on the security team so that might look bad :eek:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2009/11/new-malicious-worm-attacks-jailbroken-iphones-using-known-vulnerability.html

I've haven't lost any data with my Jailbroken iphones. Jailbreaking for me is just for the extra features that you can't normally do on the phone. As far as the worm goes, it only applies if you installed and use Open SSH and leave it on without changing your password. You just need to change the password on SSH. If you don't change it, it leaves the default pw which everyone knows.

whobob
12-23-2009, 11:47 AM
I use the flashlight nearly everyday.

glockman19
12-23-2009, 3:16 PM
There are 2 apps for this...is this the 2 dollar or 20 dollar app?

How effective is it?

This is the more expensive app. I bought it in the first few weeks it was out for a discounted $6.99 + all updates.

It seems to work perfectly.

mif_slim
12-23-2009, 3:48 PM
I like the surefire shot timer. I used it just now on my air soft gun. On full auto, it shoots 11.2 bps. Battaries low. Now, I can't wait to use it on a real fire arm. I been wanting to buy one of these in the longest time.

GlockGuy
12-23-2009, 6:04 PM
I have used the Taurus Shot Timer at the range and it works just great, and it's free.

http://www.taurususa.com/iphone.cfm

And after the iphone is jailbroken, install SBSettings, which allows you to quickly turn services on or off to extend battery life. I'm now getting 2- 2 1/2 days out of a battery charge.

JDay
12-23-2009, 6:07 PM
I have used the Taurus Shot Timer at the range and it works just great, and it's free.

http://www.taurususa.com/iphone.cfm

And after the iphone is jailbroken, install SBSettings, which allows you to quickly turn services on or off to extend battery life. I'm now getting 2- 2 1/2 days out of a battery charge.

You also no longer have a warranty.

Sugacookie
12-23-2009, 9:10 PM
This is the more expensive app. I bought it in the first few weeks it was out for a discounted $6.99 + all updates.

It seems to work perfectly.

There are a few Ballistics Calculators.. Does anyone have/ use it? Does it work? And of Course which one is the easiest/ best one???
\
Thank You!

JDay
12-24-2009, 12:00 AM
There are a few Ballistics Calculators.. Does anyone have/ use it? Does it work? And of Course which one is the easiest/ best one???
\
Thank You!

I have one for Windows Mobile that was free, the one on the iTunes app store is $29.99 for the full version but there's two cheaper ones also. Its called BulletFlight.

Jase858
12-24-2009, 12:24 AM
UPS, USPS app....to track gun parts shipped to the house before the wife founds out

Citicards, Wells Fargo App...to check if I have funds to buy guns and parts

Calguns App....psych!...but I do surf the calguns site on the iphone to check on for sale items and whatnot.

Shazaam App...tells you the title of a song that is playing on the radio.

ldivinag
12-24-2009, 1:15 AM
fart machine... its the free one.

:)

Gofasterdammit
12-24-2009, 7:25 AM
My Favorites are:
1. Redlaser
2. COD Zombies
3. Chipotle
4. Urban Spoon
5. Shazam
6. Live Cams
7. Motion X GPS
8. Zagat To Go
9. WunderRadio
10. i-Gun

Gofasterdammit
12-24-2009, 7:26 AM
Oh and the Direct TV app, you can schedule your DVR to record shows from anywhere. When I had a TiVo I used the TiVo app to change channels via it's Wifi.

gwl
12-24-2009, 8:16 AM
Call of Duty: Zombies

leelaw
12-24-2009, 9:09 AM
You also no longer have a warranty.

Small price to pay to get what you want in a product that you've bought. Some don't prefer a company to dictate what is good for them.

gravedigger
12-24-2009, 9:47 AM

Turn off your Bluetooth and Wi-Fi when you are not using them, and that will save a lot of power. Also, get in th habit of pressing the button on the top to turn off the screen as soon as you don't need it. The screen is what sucks the battery dry. I do carry both the 12vdc car charger and the AC home charger cords with me though, and plug in once or twice a day, just to keep it ALIVE! ALIVE! Its ALIVE!!!!

Rynu
12-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Small price to pay to get what you want in a product that you've bought. Some don't prefer a company to dictate what is good for them.

How is apple ever gonna know if it was Jailbroken? When you do an upgrade or restore in itunes, it's back to stock as apple wants it. No hardware is changed.

gravedigger
12-24-2009, 10:15 AM
iCam - LIVE monitoring of up to four webcams with PUSH notification if motion is detected on a cam. I have a cam watching my gun safe! LOL!

Legend Camera - much better than the original

Inrix TRAFFIC! - Great traffic map with accidents, construction etc.

Ultimate VR - Voice Recorder (turn on, lock phone, can't be turned off, operates in the background)

TAXI - Summon a cab from your location

Call a Cab and Taxi Magic - Two more cab calling apps

CardStar - creates scanable barcodes for all of those annoying and bulky club cards you will no longer have to carry.

Better Deal - Allows you to compare up to four things. Which is the best price ... 30 oz. for $3.99, 42 oz. for $5.29, 3 lb, for $7.99 or quantity of 48 for $11.99. Will not cross over solid and liquid quantities (compare pounds to liters, etc)

BUMP! - Share photos etc by bumping fists together with 2 iPhones

Speak It - fairly good voice reads anything you type in four different voices. Fun for telephone answering machines or giving orders at a drive through! Great backup for lost voice when you have strep throat or cannot talk.

Tapes Lite - an old circa 1970's cassette tape recorder with all of the usual buttons. - Full version allows for more than five tapes and unlimited recording time on each tape.

BarcodeScan - similar to red laser, but faster. Reads barcode with camera, searches Amazon and google for price comparisons and other info about product. You can ADD products to the library. I recently saved $80.00 with this program!

Panic! - Sends 9-1-1 summons to police, fire or ambulance with your GPS location and will contact friends etc automatically

Google Earth - Just like the PC version

Compass - Just cool!

Layar - Search for things around you using the camera!

SearchIt - "AroundMe" on steroids - Good app!

GPS Tracker - start the app and anyone can follow you online in real time using Instamapper.com

YouTube - Yep, watch 'em on your iPhone

Pandora - Great radio app, plays your favorites. Enter a song, or an artist, and it will search cyberland for everything else you might like. It "creates" your own personal radio station. Listen to any song ONCE for free, buy it for $.99 if you like it.

WiFiPhoto - Wirelessly transfer photos to any PC on same WiFi connection. GREAT app!

Emergency Radio - 2000 scanners on your iPhone!

Keeper - Data Vault - Easy to use, and secure

Check please - Dividr a dinner check automatically, or based on what people ordered

U Report - Use your cam (stills and video) and text to report news directly to Fox News. Good reports are put on TV with credit to you!

Personal Assistant - Instantly see the balances on all of your credit cards, bank accounts, cell phone bills, and such. E-mail notifications of changes - "Your (nnn) account is due in two days" ... "You are within $##.## of your maximum balance on your (nnn) VISA Account" etc. I use it every day.

Balance - Digital Checkbook Register

Sketch Artist - Police Sketches you crteate. Fairly FUN!!!

Disc Space - Quick monitoring of available memory in a clean pie chart style

Cell Tracker - Track minutes and usage

Showtimes - Movie times for local theaters based on your location

Most Wanted - Mugshots and bios

Speed Date - 3 minute "dates" with matches - membership allows further contact after initial introduction

Touch Meeting - Voice and video conferencing over iPhone!

Knocking Pic - "Knock" on friend's iPhone to share instant pics taken on the fly

Knocking Vid - "Knock" on friend's iPhone to share LIVE video feed from your iPhone

Navizon - Track your friends in proximity to your location, such as when spread out at a gun show!

Yellow Pages - Uh huh

White Pages - Handy.

eBay - Follow auctions and search for all the stuff you never knew you needed.

MapQuest - Self-explanatory

Ringtone - Record your own ringtones, ANYTHING you can record can become a ring tone

PASSWORDs - Tempting app for iPhone thieves - sends multiple locations of your phone to email account when activated. First one immediately, then several more with increased accuracy. Distracting false accounts and passwords scroll on screen to keep thief busy.

Amber Alerts - Yup, all of them!

Weather - 7-day Forecast for selected cities

Stickam - Reassure yourself that teenagers really are brain dead! Broadcast your own live video channel to the world. www.stickam.com (http://www.stickam.com) - FREE!

iBearArms - CCW laws based on data you provide

but I'm NOT an app junkie! I'm NOT an app junkie! I'm NOT an ...

mif_slim
12-24-2009, 10:45 AM
\
Thank You!

I've used the one that is free, but that one is very basic. It only estimate speed and distance with wind/temp/elevation. Also has scope mount height and other things but it doesnt run with gr of bullet and stuff. Works pretty good though. I've used it for my 22LR for 350 yard shooting and its pretty much on the dot if not only by a few clicks.

SuperSet
12-24-2009, 10:58 AM
iSnipe has a ton of features and is worth the $4.99. You can YouTube it so you can get an idea of how it works before buying.

JDay
12-24-2009, 2:21 PM

Which is why I will never buy an iPhone, Android is a much better platform.

JDay
12-24-2009, 2:23 PM
How is apple ever gonna know if it was Jailbroken? When you do an upgrade or restore in itunes, it's back to stock as apple wants it. No hardware is changed.

They have ways of finding out if its been jailbroken. They even filed a patent for this not too long ago.

caoboy
12-26-2009, 12:00 AM
Any scanners that work with the iTouch? I just got one today...yeeaah buddy.

bubbapug1
12-26-2009, 7:31 AM
You can also buy a back up battery/case on ebay for $16.00 which you can drop the phone into. It picks you up another 6 to 8 hours of battery life. Its great to have when you can't plug into a charger...like on an airplane, or at the range, etc.

pdq_wizzard
12-29-2009, 2:23 PM
I've haven't lost any data with my Jailbroken iphones. Jailbreaking for me is just for the extra features that you can't normally do on the phone. As far as the worm goes, it only applies if you installed and use Open SSH and leave it on without changing your password. You just need to change the password on SSH. If you don't change it, it leaves the default pw which everyone knows.

yep, did some looking around and found out that it was the password not being changed and that was how the worm was able to get into the phone. so I used blackra1n and it worked great :D