View Full Version : FFL paperwork.

12-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Granted I was ready to do my FTF transaction for a handgun on Sunday at Bass pro (longest wait ever.....) until it was FUBAR! Would a mortgage statement showing my current California statement suffice?? Also, would a printed copy of a utility bill off the internet (so cal gas) be enough? Both were shot down by the clerk, saying I needed a hard copy sent to me by the company(the clerk seemed none to thrilled to do any FTF transactions at the time).... I would have used my car registration but, I forgot it in my other car(lucky me):eek: which was promptly corrected when I got home. I just find it funny that my mortgage statement and my county tax bill paperwork were not enough to establish residency but, my water bill works:D

12-07-2009, 10:57 AM
If you had your water bill and your driver's license, why was the clerk asking for a 3rd form of ID? You only need two.

12-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Apathy...they were really busy with their christmas shopping season

12-07-2009, 11:15 AM
I would have asked for the manager.
The requirement is 2 forms of ID, not 3. He wasted as much time denying your transfer as he would have just completing the sale.

I too am interested in whether or not printed copies are valid, as my water bill is my only "paper" bill... the rest are all electronic through my bank.
I always make sure to keep my most current water bill.

But ya... stay far away from BPS on the weekends. I'll rarely go there any weekend, not just during the holidays.

12-07-2009, 2:31 PM
I was in a competitors shop over the weekend and a customer was picking up a handgun after a 10 day. This is a good sized shop and they do a lot of transactions. I sorta' acted interested in a handgun near where they were going over his paperwork as I always like to see how others do it and they do a lot more than me. Anyway, this customer used a mortgage statement as his 2nd form of ID saying he just bought the house and didn't have a copy of the deed yet. The clerk called for the manager and the manager said whatever the bank had provided him was good enough. Keep in mind, his address on his D/L was not correct as he had just moved into the new house. :eek: No big deal for them. Also, no safety check. Took less than two minutes and he was gone. He might have had an exemption in the paperwork that I couldn't see (CCW ?) for the safety check but the mortgage statement was not kosher. IMHO

12-07-2009, 6:51 PM
It is surprising what some places will do. I am not sure if it is because they don' know better or if they don't care, perhaps a combination of both.

As for the safety demo, some places do that at the start of the paperwork.

12-08-2009, 9:41 PM
Feds need a government issued document. State needs utility bills.

A mortgage statement showing residence address should work for the state as well. Not for the feds.

12-08-2009, 9:48 PM
Feds need a government issued document.
But only one of the two, such as the driver's license or vehicle registration, right?

Is a printout of an e-bill good enough for the state?

12-09-2009, 5:50 AM
But only one of the two, such as the driver's license or vehicle registration, right?

Is a printout of an e-bill good enough for the state?

Sorry, I need to be more clear.

#1 you must have a CA ID, CA DL, or military ID with duty station orders. No ways around that. No paper licenses. Those three or nothing. That applies to both feds and state.

#2 If the CA ID or CA DL address do not match the address on the 4473, then you need a secondary proof of residence. That one is the government issued ID. You do not need to retain copies, but simply write the info down in 20.b.

#3 The State of California requires proof of residency for handgun transactions. Those requirements are here. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.php#33G

I have no problems accepting a PGE statement printed from a computer. Basically I don't care how they get it, as long as it is a legit utility bill for a hard wired service. No vehicle insurance. CA vehicle registration is the easiest and will work for both #2 and #3. However utility bills wouldn't satisfy #2 for the feds unless you have maybe a municipal utility service.