PDA

View Full Version : Choke for 00 buckshot

Resident
11-14-2005, 8:55 PM
Hi! Would you, please, tell me which choke is supposed to give the best pattern in M4 shooting 00 buckshot.
Thanks

edbon9
11-15-2005, 8:37 AM
Hi! Would you, please, tell me which choke is supposed to give the best pattern in M4 shooting 00 buckshot.
Thanks

I wouldn't use a choke for shooting buckshot, I'd go with cylindrical, but if you need to use one I'd say skeet or at the most Improved Cylinder should go.

Specter6A
11-15-2005, 2:23 PM
The best choke system for combat shotguns is the Vang Comp System.

The Vang Comp System involves machining your barrel to extend the forcing cone and tapering the bore, similar to a jug choke but much more efficient. The results are truly astonishing and must be seen to believe. Suffice it to say that I've seen 7" patterns at 25-30 yds. with Federal H132 00 buck. Additionally, you don't need to worry about a screw in choke eventually going downrange.

The bad news is, though, that Benelli and Beretta shotgun barrels are too thin for the treatment and involve replacing the barrel with one that Vang has custom built. Not sure of the price, but here's the link:

Vang Comp Systems (http://www.vangcomp.com/)

PressCheck
11-15-2005, 2:36 PM
My 590A1 has been VangComped, and it's awesome.

scott
11-15-2005, 8:15 PM
I wouldn't use a choke for shooting buckshot, I'd go with cylindrical, but if you need to use one I'd say skeet or at the most Improved Cylinder should go.

What is the reasoning behind that? Just curious. My HD shotgun is a 590 loaded with 00 Federal managed recoil and it has a cylinder bore bbl.

sargenv
11-25-2005, 2:36 PM
I'd always been under the impression that the tightest pattern was obtained with a more constrictive choke not a more open one. I shot at a plate rack from about 25 yards with a 12 pellet #1 buckshot load and didn't hit even one plate with it. I was using my Gold Hunter with Improved Cylinder. Both me and the other person were pretty surprised. I had remembered reading info in one of my loading manuals (slug and buckshot manual, Ballistic Products) that said the tightest choke you had was better than a more open choke. This appears to be true for other shot sizes, why not larger lead pellets?

My advice would be, pattern test it with an open choke and re-pattern test it with a tighter choke, and see where they are hitting. I would think that the tighter choke will give a tighter pattern. Remember, even though you have a 12 gauge, it is just as easy to miss with a shot pattern as it is with single shots that are not well aimed.

Vince

saki302
11-26-2005, 12:51 AM
A full choke will give the best pattern in a conventional shotgun. I remember seeing a fancy choke in the Borwnells catalog which delayed the wad a millisecond or two so it didn't blow through the pellets to give a super-tight pattern. It was pricey, but sometime I'll get around to buying one for my M1S90.

-Dave

Mike
11-27-2005, 11:03 AM
For buckshot, modified is a good recommendation, especially if you decide to hunt with that.

TrailerparkTrash
12-09-2005, 6:30 PM
For defense and LEO purposes, I don't use a choke on my shotguns our my department doesn't either. If I have to shoot beyond shotgun range, I'll use an AR or handgun.

However, when I hunt coyotes and bobcats and I'm not using a rifle or handgun, i'll use my 870 with a full choke and a 3" mag of #4 buck. Those 41 pellets tighten up pretty good. I hit a bobcat at 36 yards with some #4 buck and it killed the cat right away. I checked the distance with my laser range finder after the hunt. I hit the cat with about 8 pellets. I thought it was pretty good for #4 buck.

just my .02 cents worth.....