PDA

View Full Version : Can I buy a <16" AR barrel?

cmth
12-06-2009, 3:50 PM
Will the BATF or CalDOJ spank me if I build an upper with a 14.5" barrel, even though it will never be attached to a lower before the FH is welded on? I don't even own any lowers yet, but I want to build out a rifle, starting with the upper first. I want a 14.5" M4 profile barrel with a Vortex welded on (to be >16"), but I want to build it myself, as I don't like any of the preconfigured uppers that I have seen thus far.

Cokebottle
12-06-2009, 3:57 PM
If you don't own any lowers, then constructive possession would not apply.
Do not take possession of any <16" uppers if you own any complete AR rifles unless you also own at least one pistol.

aplinker
12-06-2009, 3:57 PM
You can posses a <16" barrel if
1.) you do not own or possess a rifle receiver for that barrel
2.) you own a pistol receiver for that barrel
3.) you have an ATF SBR tax stamp and DOJ approval

B Strong
12-06-2009, 3:58 PM
Will the BATF or CalDOJ spank me if I build an upper with a 14.5" barrel, even though it will never be attached to a lower before the FH is welded on? I don't even own any lowers yet, but I want to build out a rifle, starting with the upper first. I want a 14.5" M4 profile barrel with a Vortex welded on (to be >16"), but I want to build it myself, as I don't like any of the preconfigured uppers that I have seen thus far.

If you have no lower, there's no problem.

But if you own a lower or another complete rifle, having an assembled upper with a barrel shorter than 16" can put you in danger of prosecution for constructive possession of an SBR under fed. law.

cmth
12-06-2009, 4:08 PM
Cool, thanks guys. That's what I figured, I just needed the confirmation.