PDA

View Full Version : Panther LR-308

onequickshift
12-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Does anyone have one? Might get kicked for asking, if its not ca legal sorry :X was just wondering!

Are there any other 7.62/308 rifles in this range? I am getting a LWRCi REPR but my husband to save money, is looking for a cheaper option for himself, any info would be appreciated!

BTW Live in orange county!

Jpach
12-06-2009, 12:44 AM
Hey OQS, the DPMS Panther rifles are not ok to buy in CA sadly. If your husband wants to save money, I would say go with a CMMG .308 lower and then find a DPMS upper somewhere.

IIRC there are a couple good FFLs out there in OC. And IIRC, Rifle gear is one of them. Someone will correct me if Im wrong.

These guys have DPMS uppers in stock

http://www.rguns.net/rifles/rifles-semiauto-ar15-uppers-308.shtml

Hope that helps

Jpach
12-06-2009, 12:49 AM
And I think JD-Machine lowers are at a pretty good price too

onequickshift
12-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Hey OQS, the DPMS Panther rifles are not ok to buy in CA sadly. If your husband wants to save money, I would say go with a CMMG .308 lower and then find a DPMS upper somewhere.

IIRC there are a couple good FFLs out there in OC. And IIRC, Rifle gear is one of them. Someone will correct me if Im wrong.

Hope that helps

Yah I didn't think so. And The lower from RG, dpms lower parts, and a noveske upper totals at $2,370.75 but then the upper isn't even in stock! I understand DPMS Rifles are not sold in California, but are the uppers legal for sale? Noveske's 21 inch Upper is $1,695 I think, are the DPMS cheaper?

halifax
12-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Yah I didn't think so. And The lower from RG, dpms lower parts, and a noveske upper totals at $2,370.75 but then the upper isn't even in stock! I understand DPMS Rifles are not sold in California, but are the uppers legal for sale? Noveske's 21 inch Upper is $1,695 I think, are the DPMS cheaper?

I'm currently running a DPMS .308 upper on a Fulton Armory lower. ~$1400 after all is said and done.

Greg-Dawg
12-06-2009, 10:31 AM
I'd buy the parts and build it. Start with a Rock River Arms stripped lower and get the other stuff.

A family that builds an AR15 together, stays together.

Jpach
12-06-2009, 11:13 AM

Yep, DPMS uppers are legal for sale in CA, its just the lowers that are the problem. And BTW, Noveske uppers are "Armalite patterned" .308 ARs. The upper CAN fit on the DPMS type lower but there will be a tremendous gap in the back and you will actually have to modify the upper to feed with the DPMS mags. So pretty much, dont get a Noveske upper for that lower.

Check out the prices of the DPMS uppers on the link in my first post. They are way more inexpensive than the Noveskes.

onequickshift
12-06-2009, 4:10 PM

Hope that helps

CMMG 308 Lower:
http://riflegear.com/p-553-cmmg-billet-308-lower-receiver-dpms-compatible.aspx

DPMS Lower Parts Kit:
http://riflegear.com/p-658-dpms-308-lower-parts-kit.aspx

DPMS .308 16" Sportical A3 UpperWith Bolt and Charging Handle

will this work?

Can standard Buttstocks work with that lower?

onequickshift
12-06-2009, 4:22 PM
And what kind of magazines off their site could I use (Rifle Gear) , I read they have a CMMG Matched pairing offered for $700 something, but I think getting an upper and lower and pairing them is enough opposed to assembling the upper to for him.

I read something about HK magazines? Why is there more then one kind of magazine? What kind will work with the setup I have posted? I still plan to get a REPR, but he wants to build his own rifle, so I guess that is where we differ.

ke6guj
12-06-2009, 4:32 PM
I read something about HK magazines? Why is there more then one kind of magazine? What kind will work with the setup I have posted?

There are 4? different type of magazines used in .308-sized AR-pattern rifles. Why, IIRC, there was the original SR-25 type, then Armalite wanted to make AR-10s during the federal AW ban. But SR-25 mags were rare, and $$$. So, they made thier lowers use cheaper, modified M-14 mags. So that is why the original two mag types came about.

Then, when Bushmaster designed their .308 AR, they decided to use FAL mags, since they were cheap. And the same for CMMG, G3 mags are cheap, so why not make a lower option for those who want to use them?

There are primarily two magazines styles for the .308 rifles, the original Armalite-Fairchild magazines used in the original AR-10s, then picked up by the KAC SR-25 (henceforth called the SR-25 Type) and the Modern Armalite AR-10 type which is a modified M-14 magazine. It should be pointed out RRA (and formerly Bushmaster) make rifles that use FAL magazines, and CMMG has a lower which uses G3 magazines.

•Armalite AR-10 type (used by Armalite, Noveske, Eagle Arms, Georgia Precision; capacities: 5, 10, 20, 25)

•SR-25 Type
(used by DPMS, KAC, LaRue, POF, LWRC, JP Rifles, 1950s Armalites, Remington, Fulton-Armory; capacities: 4, 10, 19, 20)

•FAL Magzines (Metric or Inch pattern; used by Bushmaster, RRA; capacities: 5, 10, 20, 30)

•G3 Magazines (CMMG .308 Lower)

for your setup, looks like you need this type, •SR-25 Type, (used by DPMS, KAC, LaRue, POF, LWRC, JP Rifles, 1950s Armalites, Remington, Fulton-Armory; capacities: 4, 10, 19, 20)